Jagjit Singh, the voice that soothes me
At peace I feel, when I listen to the melody, 'Tere baare mein jab socha nahi tha' and so many such timeless pieces by ghazal maestro Jagjit Singh that always sooth me down.
Such is the bliss in the voice of Jagjit Singh, the singer who made ghazals a favorite among all of us. Even when I was a child, Jagjit Singh's ghazal's were an easy flowing symphony that had no bounds.
Today, at the news of his death, the first song that I could think of was 'Chitthi na koi sandesh, jaane vo kaun sa desh, jahaan tum chale gaye.' The song says the ghazal maestro has left us, but his songs still remain a must on my playlist.
The calm and serene voice of Jagjit Singh will continue to be heard with the eternal melodies 'Wo kaagaz ki kashti', 'Tum itna jo muskura rahe ho' and 'Chaak jigar ke'.
The best thing about Jagjit Singh was that his music has something to offer to each and everyone and in spite of changing with times, his contemporary ghazals maintained the calm in his music.
Some of the best ghazals of the present times that remain a favorite are 'Tere aane ki jab khabar mehke' and 'Shaam se aankh mein'. His collaboration with Asha Bhosle 'Jab saamne tum aa jaate ho' remains a comforting number.
As I bid good bye to the golden voice, I'll say Rest in music, while your music gives me peace.
More about Pragati Ratti
- + Shouldn't that rapist live in fear? Why me?
- + Rahul Dravid: From falling in love to respecting the man's game of cricket
- + No Bryan Adams, no Metallica! Facing the music
- + Friendship Day: 10 categories of friends I have
- + DJ for a day: My playlist on World Music Day
- + Lunar eclipse: a night of chants
- + Bad choppers, fake pilots: no Geronimo please
- + Still in glory, thanks to Dhoni and his boys
- + It's all about India winning it, Isn't it?