ibnlive » Chat

4.30 pm Dec 26, 2012

Is the constable's death being used by the police to deflect attention from the real issue of women's safety?

While doctors say constable Subhash Chand Tomar died of cardiac arrests and no external injuries have been found on his body, the Delhi Police has claimed otherwise. Are the policemen now trying to deflect attention from the real issue of women's safety. Discuss the matter with Anubha Bhonsle, senior editor at CNN-IBN.
This chat is over. Thanks for joining.
18 questions answered | No question pending
  • What according to you have been the 3 most important factors resulting in the sudden rise of rapes in our country in the last few years?.. and should everything be blamed on the police and the politicians and not on society? Asked by: JK
  • Anubha Bhonsle Am not sure there has been a sudden rise. If so I havent studied the statistics properly.
  • Do you think the first step the government should take is to ensure no person with any pending sexual assault case against her/him is given an election ticket? Also, it should come down heavily on all those politicians/ people in power who pass comments like women shouldnt dress this way or men shouldnt eat fast food. That'll tell us the government is serious about women's issues. Asked by: KS
  • Anubha Bhonsle That would be a terrific beginning-but remember these are the same politicians (across party lines) who referred to a woman as a XX ki girlfriend. And another who on live tv passed a rather misogynist remark against a woman politician-Having sad that I should add women politicians are often no better in being insensitive and pushing stereotypes.
  • do v get tough law against safety of women in India?? R our politician serious enough to take this matter in Parliament?? Asked by: vivek
  • Anubha Bhonsle I think the next session is likely to discuss the amended bill.
  • When the Connecticut shooting happened,Obama spoke immediately and from his heart. Dont you think if someone, even if not the PM, but some leader had addressed the protests, it would not have become so ugly? All we need are answers and assurances after all. Asked by: Kritika
  • Anubha Bhonsle I agree-someone, pref young should have communicated, listened to the protestors. Taken the opportunity to reach out them, quell their anger. Instead we had arrogance, no communication and when they did speak it was ineffective, not from the heart and in my cases shocking.
  • Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar is only looking for alibi rather than taking major concrete steps...do you agree Asked by: Satyajit
  • Anubha Bhonsle All the measures taken so far are adhoc, knee jerk and should have been taken long before a crime of this nature took place-I must add that I am not convinced that these measures will change thelandscape.
  • It is the joint decision of Police & Government. People are fed up by the way this critical issues is handled. I wonder why they are reluctant to pass strong law. are they afraid it will back fire their own party members in parliament. Asked by: sudheendra_sr
  • Anubha Bhonsle I think its more of a political vaccum and an inability to push for issues that are top of the mind for people.
  • Security on the streets is dependent on the police force and barring Delhi Police all other police force report to the respective state governments and surprisingly not a single CM has talked about this issue of women's security. The constable's death has to be thoroughly investigated and if there is foul play then the culprits have to be booked but making a more stringent law will not have the desired effect until policing on the streets has been made more effective and it is for the state government to ensure it. Asked by: Abhishek Nayar
  • Anubha Bhonsle Yes but Delhi has the unique distinction where effective policing is not the jurisdiction of the state government.
  • What us your opinion on stringent rule or society mind set required to tackle such heinous act??? Asked by: Satya
  • Anubha Bhonsle I would say both.
  • I simply do not buy the argument that politicians are not interested in having a tougher law on rape cases….why would they not want it?..barring a few of their own who may be effected by these tough laws it does not effect any political party in a big way..so to say that they are not inclined to have tougher laws is incorrect..what do you think?. Asked by: JK
  • Anubha Bhonsle You may be right-I just think the political atmosphere today is so far removed from the realities of life and what people face. Parliament on any given day is not even debating or discussing issues that people want.
  • As per a study 93% rapes are by the people known to the victims. How much can police help? Or we are showing our anger on something else? Asked by: Kamal Agg
  • Anubha Bhonsle That's a statistic acc to the National Crime Records Bureau and is a reflection that this is a complex problem that needs a coming together of effective policing, strong laws, attitudinal changes.
  • Why is media trying to conduct a Street Trial? No one will behead these 8 people who are charged by Delhi Police without a fair trial. Let the police put up their case in the court and let the court decide. This tendency of media to pronounce a judgement prematurely on everything is sickening! Asked by: deep
  • Anubha Bhonsle Am not sure about others but we haven't conducted any media trial regarding the 8 people-they were charged we reported so-the court granted them bail because the police couldn't put forward evidence-we reported so. I think there is any increasing tendency to blame the media for all ills> I don't agree in this case.
  • How do we keep the spotlight on this critical issue of women's safety as this immediate event fades into history? Asked by: c4conscience
  • Anubha Bhonsle By ensuring first our govt passes the new amended bill on sexual assault-by not being just bystanders if a case of assault/street crime is happening in our presence. By making sure our statements and conducts don't smack of misogyny. I like this blog that says the problem is us-http://zigzackly.blogspot.in/2012/12/the-problem-is-us.html Maybe it gives you some answers
  • Is it not a crying shame that we are debating how Tomar died? The fact is a breadwinner of a family laid his life while on duty. The post mortem reports suggest that a broken rib and other injuries led to the heart attack. In a mob people lose focus, forget the aim and indulge in everything other than the objective of the protest. Every person who is challenging this issue as to how the constable died is least interested in women's welfare. That is clear. Your views... Asked by: Shekhar
  • Anubha Bhonsle One man has died and one woman is fighting for her life. Ironically they are two sides to the same story. I am quoting an article in the Hindu today where the author says-Any attempt, say, to contextualise police action is instantly put down and derided as justification of khaki high-handedness. The truth is whether the police action was warranted or not, excessive or not has led to the death of one man. This is not an x vs y story.
  • Unless proble verifies the cause of death , we can not pass the judgement. Asked by: rkk
  • Anubha Bhonsle I agree. The post mortem report is now out and does talk about cardiac arrest after injuries on neck and chest, rib fractures and internal bleeding.
  • It appears that police is cooking stories and wants to capitalise anything right or wrong, just to defend their action at india Gate. Does police realise that their act would impact not only Delhi people but shall carry a bad image among every countryman? Asked by: Yashovardhan Phatak
  • Anubha Bhonsle The police have much to answer for. The post mortem report of the Delhi Police constable is now out and does talk about cardiac arrest after injuries on neck and chest. So it would be fair to assume that the constable did get hit by protestors. Who the protestors were and whether the belonged to a particular outfit is not clear and one wonders how the police has come to that conclusion so quickly.
  • Everyone is basically passing the buck from CM to Lt Guv to HM to Police.Dont you feel someone should just standup and take responsibility of the mess.I am sure people would appreciate such a gesture Asked by: Anoop Chathoth
  • Anubha Bhonsle I have craved to hear those words-I take responsibility.
  • Slightly different question, media wanted the leadership to meet the protesters representatives without suggesting who were those? Are we fair? Asked by: Kamal Agg
  • Anubha Bhonsle I dont think the media wanted anything per se. It is true that the nature of protests was spontaneous in the first two days and thus lacked a leadership or a charter of demands. Ccrowds have always been part of our public life and mobilisation. For the govt to say that they did not know who to talk to or communicate because there werent any leaders is rather naive. I mean who did the PM eventually address because there are still no leaders to this agitation.
  • Police and UPA goverment are using police name to stop the peacful protest and raising anger against them... when they will realise this and really try to address people issue? Asked by: Ram
  • Anubha Bhonsle Sorry for the late reply-I agree to the extent that the focus has already shifted from rape and the rape survivor. The discourse is now on protest, attack on cops, nature of the protest again. We cant forget thought that one policeman has died in the protests.