Managing Editor, IBN7
Managing Editor, IBN7
May 31, 2012 | Closed
Future of the Anna movement and the Lokpal Bill
What is the future of the Anna movement and the Lokpal Bill. Talk to one of the country’s top political journalists to find out.
- Sir I read your book its Must read book . thanks for writing this book. I really love this book so much Asked by: Satish
- Thanks friend for reading.
- Except that TEAM ANNA is an informal group with dissensions amongst them,the group has not created astructured organisation having LONG TERM plans on the assignment of ridding graft. How much time you give for the movement to dissolve itself ??? Asked by: sundar1950in
- It needs muscle power of a solid organisation to be more viable.
- dont you think indian democratic system is the reason for corruption and all these problems and that there is no permanent or 100% cure for these problems in indian democratic system ?? Asked by: AKASH
- System need serious review.
- Sir, do you think the Lokpal Bill in its present form can erradicate corruption? Asked by: Ishita
- Not wholly but it will make an impact.
- I really appriciate your efforts Ashutosh Ji. Being one of the most respected person in Media Industry I as an INDIAN appeal to you to support this movement through adequate media coverage this time. Your book is fantastic but there is lot more that's need to be done and for this support of media is really needed! Thanks a ton Asked by: Nivesh Sharma
- Thanks friend for kind words.
- Sir I think any law can't change these corrupt politicians and bureaucrats if we are not changed our selves. Asked by: Satish
- We have to change ourselves to change the system.
- do u think India is a democratic country? Asked by: s.g
- Is there any doubt. You can ask such a question only in democracy.
- sir,in a country like india,should there be a two party democracy,which could give a good governance and a strong democracy?? Asked by: rishabh misra
- country like India which has so much diversity can not have 2 party democratic system. Only two parties cant satisfy so much regional aspirations.
- sir jee, dont you think that corruption at lower level is good for indian economy ?? Asked by: AKASH
- Corruption is always bad.
- As a common citizen, I feel Team Anna has ignited a fire, we require few more decades of fight to over come social evils. Whats your opinion, what history will say about movement created by Anna. Asked by: Samir
- Change is a process , it takes time to reflect . Its not 20-20 game , its test match.
- what do you say about the education sector where an engineer ,doctor has to pay in lakhs in india and also why do the youth doesnot motivate in order to join military? Asked by: ashutosh singh,kanpur
- Military is no longer as attractive as it used to be. Other jobs are giving more job satisfaction and money too .
- Do you think Team Anna came back strongly by directly targeting PM and his cabinet & sticking to their ground even after criticism from political class? Sir please be really frank. I admire you for your frankness. Asked by: Ravi Kiran
- Team is gaining momentum again now , it seems
- Do you see Team Anna openly supports NDA in near future? Asked by: Arvind Agarwal
- It does not look right now.
- Why does society expects the entire team Anna to speak in same voice? Do you think Team Anna has done its Short Term Job, obviously long term responsibility goes beyond Team Anna. Asked by: Samir
- Ideally they should but difference of opinion is not bad.
- Criticism is good. I appreciate it. But last time when Anna sat at Jantar mantar Media discussion blacked out! There was total NO COVERAGE! Why? Asked by: Nivesh Sharma
- There was coverage .
- SIr,do you think by implicating the PM, team Anna can fullfil its goal of passing the Lokpal Bill, given the fact that their allegations in the coalgate scam cannot be ruled out. Its a very serious & measured charge against the PM. What's your take? Asked by: Ishita
- It all depend if govt want to make a Lokpal or not . They are reluctant right now .
- dear sir, why don't be hav election or majoritariam for lok pal bill everyone wants to eradicate corruption Asked by: s.g
- Politicians dont want .
- Do you see Dr. Subramanian Swamy, Baba Ramdev and Team Anna share a common platform sooner rather than later? Asked by: Arvind Agarwal
- Swamy i dont know but Ramdev AND Anna will share on 3rd June.
- Whats your opinion, is media less corrupt than politicians? Asked by: Samir
- There is corruption in media too that is for sure
- is the role of civil servant absolutely right as the trend of corruption increases? Asked by: ashutosh singh
- Role of Civil Servants is very important but needs to be revisisted on the issue of corruption and red tapism.
- What do you think and what is your personal advice to Team ANNA that what they should do now to get a strong JANLOKPAL bill in India ? Asked by: Arijit
- I am too small to advise them .
- will lokpal bill be passed? what is going to hapen wid anna Asked by: supree
- I think so it will .
- Why media is playing a negative role now in Anna Movement? Why media houses like IBN, CNN-IBN, Times NOW, NDTV didnot telecast anything during last Anna's fast at jantar mantar. Puniya Prasoon Vajpayee clearly stated in one of his interview that Media is now playing into the hands of government! Asked by: Nivesh Sharma
- I dont agree . Media cant always praise ,it should criticise as and when required .
- Sir, do you see any orchestrated differences erupting with in team Anna fielded by Govt. to some how portray that the movement has lost its steam. Particularly after low turnout in Mumbai during Parliament? Asked by: Kumar
- When you attack empire , empire does fight back with vengeance.
- Will there be any political impact of Anna Movement on 2014 general elections? Asked by: Arvind Agarwal
- Wait and see . Certainly .
- Dear Ashutosh the IAC movement by its very nature has a limited 'shelf life' as it is an emotionally driven movement. What India needs are 'systemic reforms' top down which can only be achieved through the political process (i.e. get elected and then make laws and policy) Asked by: KK
- The end result of IAC movement can never be quatified in pure numbers like JP movement which resulted in MRs Gandhi loosing power . But changes are already perceptible. There is a nation wide debate about corruption, miniters and top bureaucrats are going to jails and Manmohan Govt is loosing its credobolity on a daily basis .
- I strongly feel that this is a political fight so a fight of perception. Team Anna must avoid conflicting statements else this will damange the perception in a big way. As they are a small team, Why don't they release a statement on mutual understanding? Asked by: Anupam
- Difference of opinion is the hallmark of the democracy. People have same opinion only in dictatorship.
- Team Anna seem to be a rudderless ship. They make statements and chicken out when confronted. By all these things arent they setting themselves up for a failure. Asked by: ng
- Its too early to pass a judgement like that . Wait , may be there is another surprise .
- The LOKPAL bill is in Parliament and the LAW makers are working on it to get enacted and will come through,though not the one which Team ANNA had designed and desired to be in place. The UPA 2 is on the job and has almost got an unanimity on the subject amongst major parties. Do you forsee the Bill getting dropped or defeated in the PArliament ? Asked by: sundar1950in
- I am still optimistic .
- Anna movement has already fizzled out with so many dissensions and incnsistencies in their approach to attack Corruption. Do you still see a future over there ? Asked by: sundar1950in
- I dont agree with you . Every movement has its own ups and downs . Movement has not fizzled out . It is trying to regain its energy again .
- Dear Sir, Now that Government and opposition are on the same side as far as Lokpal Bill is concerned. No Politician want any Lokpal is passed. In the Beginning BJP was just trying to make use the public sentiments and get some brownie points. Under these circumstances how should Anna team proceed ? Asked by: Suhas M
- These are tough questions which Anna Team has to find answers . I am sure they will . Agitation from 25th July against the corruption of 15 cabinet ministers is one such way to move forward.
- why the English media hell bent to defend UPA using Mr.Singh's integrity. My question is " when your integrity is not helping the country to curb corruption, does it matter whether you are honest? your take on this? Asked by: Santosh
- How can i reply on behalf of english media ? I know one thing that media has been critical of govt of the day that is why govt wants to regulate media especially TV .
- I believe team Anna has scores to settle with the UPA...they keep on targeting the UPA,the latest being the list of 15 members of the UPA...why do they not say anything about the corruption of BJP...Santosh Hedge is from Karnataka..is he not aware of the corruption there...Anna himself has worked a lot in Madhya Pradeh...does he not know the corrupt practices of BJP there ,an IPS,Narendra Kumar was killed by the mafias there...no mafia can survive without the support of the government.Kiran Bedi being an IPS,did not say anything whereas the rest of the times she says a lot to say...Ramdev is from Uttarakhand,did he not know what Nishank did in the state..but what the yoga-guru sees is the corruption of the UPA...i know you would defend BJP as Kian ma'am is a BJP member...:-) P.S. i don't support any political party..it is just that i want to know why this discrimination against the UPA...when all the parties are corrupt...:-) Asked by: Man Mohan (NAINITAL)
- If you have followed the movement you would know that Anna movement is not against any political party but against the rotten political establishment . Dont forget in Karnataka Yedurappa has to resign due the report of Santosh Hegre who is an important member of Team ANNA .
- if the existing laws are implemented well then there would be no need for the lokpal and what the the guarantee that the lokpal would be implemented..the bottom line is a plan looks very good on paper but is of no use until and unless it is implemented and India has a long history of it...smoking on public is banned but still we find people smoking publicly Asked by: Man Mohan (NAINITAL)
- yes you are right .
- Would Anna work towards the Lokpal bill rather than issuing statements against each individual ? Asked by: EMathew
- On Lokpal Anna and his team cant do anything now. Now the ball is in the court of govt and parliament . They have to show the political will to make a law . Will they ?
- Will Anna's support for Judicial reforms in the near future ? Asked by: EMathew
- Process has begun . Due to Anna Pressure govt has brought Judges accountabilty bill which is a good measure to bring some kind of accoutability in judicial system
- Your thoughts on electoral reforms as suggested by Anna. Asked by: EMathew
- mOTHER OF ALL CORRUPTION IS ELECTION AND ITS FUNDING AND DRIVE TO WIN ELECTION AT ANY COST ANDTHERE IS NO CONTROL OVER THEM WHO WINS ELECTIONS . RIGHT TO RECALL IS AN INSTRUMENT IN THAT DIRECTION . Though i feel that time has come for the complete review of the elctoral system and its funding mechanism.
- Was it a wise move on Team Anna's part to call names at the PM ? Asked by: EMathew
- if it is wise or not i cant say . What is important is issue . If there is corruption it has to be highlighted , thats what they did .
- Would it help Anna in going to different parts of India and holding discussion and awareness among people for Lokpal bill ? Asked by: EMathew
- It will . Raising awareness about an issue as serious as corruption is important .
- Isnt Team Anna is middle class movement to avoid democracy. they want a super cop to take care of politicans. why are they not chasing corporates who are source of corruption Asked by: Ganesh
- To protest and raise questions are legitimate means of democracy , dont you think politicians need to be controlled by some mechanism and corruption needs serious cure ?
More chats with:Ashutosh
Managing Editor, IBN7