ibnlive » Chat

5 pm Apr 25, 2014

Is the battle for Varanasi the biggest fight of Lok Sabha 2014?

Varanasi, the holiest place for the Hindus is witnessing a never seen before battle. The BJP PM nominee Narendra Modi and the AAP chief Arvind Kejriwal are fighting a big battle. Ask CNN-IBN National Affairs Editor, Bhupendra Chaubey about the battle for Benaras at 5 pm.
This chat is over. Thanks for joining.
18 questions answered | 9 questions pending
  • I think it would be a nice idea to interview the local IIT students (viz. IIT-BHU) about their preferences and about there political socialization. I mean being an IIT alum, Arvind Kejriwal automatically becomes as natural choice or do they vouch for the Gujarat Dev model as claimed by Modi. I guess that would be an interesting talk!! Asked by: Arvind @ Delhi
  • Bhupendra Chaubey Thanks for the suggestion
  • U being on the ground, what is the perception there? Does Modi have the edge or Kejriwal? The crowd we saw was from Varanasi/ Kashi area or outside? Asked by: Nav
  • Bhupendra Chaubey There was a fair mix of locals and outsiders. But It does look like people in Varanasi are looking upto Modi
  • Atalji in the past has been the biggest crowdpuller from BJP But that crowd did not get him enough seats. What is different about Narendra Modi this time? Asked by: Arvind puranik[maharashtra]
  • Bhupendra Chaubey Its Modis connect. He connects better. Plus Vajpayee was the PM when crowds were thronging around him. Now there is a 10 year old baggage for UPA
  • NaMo would have been accused of fear to came out of Gujarat ,if he had contested from his home state only.If he had contested from outside his state only they would have said he is not acceptable even in his sate . Contest from two constituency is permitted. Why was the opposition calling foul on this and making an issue ?/ Asked by: sundar raman
  • Bhupendra Chaubey The only issue in this election is Mr Modi, All opinions, agendas, are being formed around him only. Hence whatever he does becomes newsy
  • Bupen, if we go as per the number of people yesterday at the road show before filing the nomination then i think it will be some ware around 55+ of BJP in UP? It's your home turf and no one knows UP better then you in today's political equation, your honest comment please. Asked by: Shivaraj Tenginakai
  • Bhupendra Chaubey Shivraj, I really think one shouldnt go by the number of people who turn up at a rally. By that Logic, Mayawati, who conducts the most well attended rallies anywwhere in the country, would have been PM forever. BJP has the momentum for itself in UP, No doubt. It can take them anywhere
  • AK had objected to NaMo having his helicopter landing at BHU.? Does this reflect of AK as an immature politician. Asked by: sundar raman
  • Bhupendra Chaubey Politics is politics, everything goes here. You cant say that you will raise one issue but not the other one. Everyone is allowed to say everything
  • How many seats BJP can pull off in UP ? Your take pls. Asked by: Satya
  • Bhupendra Chaubey BJP is certainly in the hunt for getting 30+seats
  • Do you think the groundswell for Modi will actually become a serious threat to regional parties ? Asked by: Satya
  • Bhupendra Chaubey If Modi comes up with large number of seats in UP and Bihar, I think it will lead to consolidation of votes for national parties.
  • How credible the opinion polls in terms of %age of error as compared to those in 2004 & 2009 ? Asked by: Satya
  • Bhupendra Chaubey Opinion polls are reasonably credible now as methodology has improved. But in a country like ours, anythings possible. This time though I think, writing is on the wall
  • You are complete Pappu, because you think, Rai & Kejriwal can challenge NaMo Asked by: Vikrant
  • Bhupendra Chaubey Thanks for your compliment
  • Is it because Ashutosh !the former ME of IBN7 is in party of Arvind kejriwal who is contesting from Varanasi.Shri Modi is only excuse for saying Varanasi the biggest fight of Lok Sabha 2014.Shri modi also contesting from Vadodara but Arvind not contesting Asked by: Vinny
  • Bhupendra Chaubey Difference between Vadodara and Varanasi is this, that Kejriwal isnt contesting from Vadodara
  • There is news doing rounds that Minorities are coming in large numbers to vote in favour of single party which could challenge modi in that particular region like Cong Ncp in Mumbai, Cong Rjd in Bihar and Samajwadi in UP. Is this true and if so to what extent this upsets the prospects of BJP in these crucial states Asked by: praveen
  • Bhupendra Chaubey Minorities certainly are looking for an option. In Varanasi, that option could be AAP or CONG. Dont think SP, BSP are in fray in this
  • Will Kejriwal be able to get his deposit? Asked by: vignesh
  • Bhupendra Chaubey Lets hope so. He is hoping for support from minority community
  • I am from Varanasi, I wonder if there is any fight at all. Kejriwal is not even a serious challenger. What are your thoughts. Asked by: Sandeep
  • Bhupendra Chaubey I agree, I think AAP pitch is wrong. they are raising issues which arent really appealing to benaresis
  • Will the sidelining of Murli Manohar joshi and Lalji Tandon and Karuna shukla,and the fact that congress candidate is a bhumihar result in Brahmin-muslim consolidation against modi?The fact that the cong person is a local can also attract votes from other communities? Asked by: Abhishek
  • Bhupendra Chaubey I have just done an interview with Ajay Rai. He is a strong candidate for sure. But what I sensed was that people in Varanasi are looking for a person who can help them in their day to day life. To that extent, the fact that Varanasi could be PM's own constituency is certainly working in Modis favour
  • Chaubey ji- Has Modi's candidature from Varanasi created positive sentiments in favor of BJP in Purvanchal in particular and in state of U.P in general, as BJP expected? Asked by: Prof. (Retd.) S Chaturvedi
  • Bhupendra Chaubey It has created a momentum for sure. But the only cautionary note here for BJP is that the places where they expected to do well, are now all polled. the areas of eastern UP and Bihar which go to polls now are places where BJP is weak. TH
  • IBN is one channel which has given an unduly excessive coverage to Ak and AAP. Does a party expected to win not more than 3 LS seats deserve this? Asked by: Prof. (Retd.) S Chaturvedi
  • Bhupendra Chaubey AK and AAP has generated a lot of curiosity in India, which is why we cover them
  • bhupendraji you saw a sea of humanity in varanasi including muslims who were there in large numbers? do you think narendrabhai will win with a big margin in varanasi??????????? Asked by: mukesh, london
  • Bhupendra Chaubey I think as far as varanasi is concerned, It will be a cakewalk for him. Lot of youth attraction for him

Hosted by

Bhupendra Chaubey
National affairs editor, CNN-IBN