4 pm Feb 13, 2013
Is One Billion Rising the first women's rights movement on a global scale?
Is One Billion Rising the first women's rights movement on a global scale? Discuss the matter with former chairperson of National Commission for Women Dr Mohini Giri.
11 questions answered | No question pending
- The ordinance remains silent on the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA). Your views. Asked by: Kamya
- Dr Mohini Giri My organisation has been working in Kashmir since the past two decades. I look after women in conflict situation and many others. In my opinion, as far as the people of Kashmir are concerned this act should be discussed and removed and safeguards placed for the security and happiness of the people.
- Do we need to comprehensively change India's rape laws? Asked by: fatima
- Don't you think the civil society should be demanding police and judicial reforms? Asked by: Tiger
- How important and relevant is inclusion of marital rape in the govt ordinance? Asked by: somya
- Dr Mohini Giri Marital rape is closely connected with the norms and culture of that society. India is a close knit society and marriage still considered a very sacred institution. While I fully agree that under domestic violence, Marital rape is a great issue specially when in my experience 90 % of the cases have been with the influence of liquor. Hence, marital rape needs a little more debate, thinking and consultations before we have the inclusion of marital rape in the government ordinances.
- we have seen few film celebrities who have played ultra glamorous parts in movies, do the talking about women's movements. Does it make any sense ? Asked by: sandy
- Can a mass movement put an end to violence against women? Asked by: DK
- There have been many women's rights movements across the world. Why this hype over this one? Asked by: Pran
- What change do you think that "One billion Rising movement" could bring? Asked by: Sasi
- Dr Mohini Giri No change in the world takes place suddenly. A first step has to be taken to go forward. We have made a beginning and I am happy to see youth join us boy and girl together and this togetherness will impact on the general public and slowly bring in a change. It has created awareness building which is really most important.
- Do you think that erotic portrayal of women/girls in movies today where they have been used as a show-piece have some role in this prospect of exploitation? Asked by: Deepak
- Dr Mohini Giri The main cause for exploitation are illiteracy, poverty, unemployment and migration. Coupled with this if the society is dished out pornography and erotic portrayal of women the results are that the society has being greatly impacted by these. Economic deprivation also leads to crimes.
- What the world expects from the One Billion Rising movement Asked by: Sneha
- Dr Mohini Giri With the earth becomes heavy there is an earth quake. when there is turmoil in the sea there is a tsunami. when crimes against women becomes unbearable half the world population of women rise. the movement is to call for the end of violence and for justice, gender equality. When so many together cry for justice it is but natural that there voices will reach everywhere and a change will come.
- Is One Billion Rising the first women's rights movement on a global scale? Asked by: Heena
Hosted byDr Mohini Giri
Scholar & Women's Rights Activist
More chats with:Dr Mohini Giri
Scholar & Women's Rights Activist