ibnlive » Chat

3 pm May 20, 2013

First woman from Kupwara to crack the IAS exam

Twenty-six-year old doctor Ruveda Salam has become the first woman from the Kupwara district in Kashmir to crack the IAS examination. Her name is now added to the small list of youth Valley icons like IAS topper Shah Faesal and cricketer Parvez Rasool. Talk to her about how she prepared for the examinations, what difficulties she faced and her message to the valley's youth.
This chat is over. Thanks for joining.
24 questions answered | No question pending
  • Congratulations firstly. What is your sense on the separatists movement in the valley ? How genuine is it ? I sincerely want to know from a real Kashmiri sister. Asked by: Rajiv
  • Dr Ruveda Salam Thanks, our destiny lies with India, emotions don't make a nation, I realise this everyday in kashmir
  • Can you guide me in little bit in detail how to make notes from the Hindu newspaper and from Frontline Magazine ? Asked by: Sandeep
  • Dr Ruveda Salam Editorials can be saved, rest of the pages u simply have to note down important facts, you can also save sc- tech pages..frontline: read only the cover story..basically frontline helps you more in interview
  • Saw you on tv today morning and you dont seem t like facebook? Why? Asked by: Shuja, Baramulla
  • Dr Ruveda Salam I do like it, but I don't chat, I read couple of pages like the hindu, indian express, halfmantr
  • Can you please share your pub-ad booklist? Asked by: Arpita
  • Dr Ruveda Salam Prasad & prasad, fadia & fadia, rajni goyal & arora, sadhna & sharma & topics from ignou as per syllabus
  • How to prepare for GS-Mains..the syllabus being so vast? Asked by: Arpita
  • Dr Ruveda Salam Good question. Stick to syllabus, new pattern has come up with topics for the first time, use internet especially wikipedia, the hindu , chronicle
  • How your experience with board and what was the typical question that you faced Dr.Ruveda. Asked by: sasi
  • Dr Ruveda Salam Thanks,, P K Mishra's board, very cordial, they made me feel like one of their compatriots. Questions based on J&k, pragaash, global warming, medicine, women empowerment
  • Saw you on tv today morning and you dont seem t like facebook? Why? Asked by: Shuja, Baramulla
  • Dr Ruveda Salam I like it but only for ascertaining positive views of friends & the pages of the hindu, news channels, halfmantr, I don't chat on Facebook
  • How have the elders in the locality reacted to your succes-are they clebrating or do they feel that you have crossed the limits of what a woman should do? Asked by: Arun Ramakrishnan
  • Dr Ruveda Salam Mixed, educated ones feel pride, others still trying to bring me down in terms of the service allocation especially if I get Ips & the state cadre..but I am prepared for any eventuality
  • Is coaching required? else if self is preferred Please suggest me some referrals of preparation,approach towards civils exam. Asked by: saikumar1510
  • Dr Ruveda Salam Coaching to be decided by your level of understanding & finances. Read NCERT, chronicle, the hindu religiously & use govt websites & wikipedia
  • how was your preparation and what was your daily regime to start with? Asked by: Ananthoju
  • Dr Ruveda Salam Studied every day for almost 6 hours & increased gradually to 8 before prelims & mains
  • Do you think your case will set an example for the youths of the Valley who often go into wrong ways due to frustration? Asked by: Abdul, Kolkata
  • Dr Ruveda Salam Education is must before they can be brought back from wrong path
  • First of all,congratulations on the achievement Is the increasing success of Kashmiris in civil-services exam a sign of greater desire to be part of the Indian mainstream? Asked by: Arun Ramakrishnan
  • Dr Ruveda Salam Thanks, yes both to be successful & to be part of our nation building (india)
  • can you please suggest me with books on general studies? Asked by: saikumar1510
  • Dr Ruveda Salam NCERT of all subjects upto 12th, chronicle magazine, Laxmikanth's Indian polity, Bipin Chandra's modern India, economy by pratiyogita darpan & wikipedia
  • Ma'am am a dentist preparing for upsc. Should i prepare full time for this exam or do it simultaneously with dental practice? Please guide me. Also your book list for socio plz. Asked by: clandestine
  • Dr Ruveda Salam Requires full time but if you start early like one year prior to prelims, it can help Socio : ignou b. A material, Haralambos, george ritzer & yojana
  • Congratulations Maam! Do you think it's possible to crack the exams with just self preparations and no coaching? Asked by: Abhishek Ghosh
  • Dr Ruveda Salam Thanks, yes you can if you closely follow the syllabi & make good use of material online
  • Maam a political Question! How do the separatists in the valley react to the successes of kashmiri students in civils? Asked by: Abhishek Ghosh
  • Dr Ruveda Salam Well, not heard anything from their side yet but general perception is that we have become a part of the mainstream
  • Do you think kashmiri students have this in them that they will crack civil services. I mean not 10, but 30 in a year? And congragulations. Asked by: Showkat Hussain, Bijbehera
  • Dr Ruveda Salam Thanks, yes, awareness & good ambience required
  • Is coaching is really need? If not how one can get a good guidance to crack te exam? Asked by: swarna
  • Dr Ruveda Salam Good guidance is vital, coaching is to be decided by you as per your understanding of subjects, internet & newspapers help alot
  • Is coaching is really need? If not how one can get a good guidance to crack te exam? Asked by: swarna
  • Dr Ruveda Salam Guidance is now a days available on net, depends on your understanding
  • How many hours did you study every day and how did you set the time-frame for differen subjects. Please help with tips. Hoping to appear in 2015. Asked by: Jaiveer Singh
  • Dr Ruveda Salam Atleast 5 to 6 hours, u can divide accordingly..more time to be devoted to gs now
  • what was your optional subjects? How much marks you got in each subject? Asked by: rohit
  • Dr Ruveda Salam Public administration & Sociology, marks to be displayed today by upsc
  • Congratulations, as per the new syllabus from 2013 that too Mains GS Paper what is the right way to approach the syllabus and my 2nd question is how to make notes from the Hindu Newspaper ? Asked by: Sandeep
  • Dr Ruveda Salam Thanks, newspaper reading especially hindu, journals like chronicle, yojana & a lot of internet, editorials should be saved, sc & tech needs brief notes, rest business page is imp & international
  • Madam, when should I start t prepare for the test. I mean as a parent when should kids be told that your time has come to start for this prestigious test? Asked by: Sajjad Bhat, Srinagar
  • Dr Ruveda Salam Graduation is best time, but newspaper reading should start from school
  • Maam, wich are the most scoring subjects for the mains? and are there any good combinations to score? thanks Asked by: aadil mir, Srinagar
  • Dr Ruveda Salam Scoring non scoring just a myth, interest should guide you. New pattern requires more focus on GS

Hosted by

Dr Ruveda Salam

More chats with:

Dr Ruveda Salam