ibnlive » Chat

5 pm Dec 27, 2012

What steps are necessary to make India safer for women

The gang rape and physical torture of a 23-year-old woman in Delhi has led to an emotional outburst of anger. While the woman bbattles for her life at a Singapore hospital, one of the country's young women's rights activists take a practical look at possible remedies.
This chat is over. Thanks for joining.
17 questions answered | 2 questions pending
  • In majority of the recorded cases the accused are known friends and or relatives. Here the police can not be blamed.You have any suggestions on increasing family bonds and relationships in a healthy way ?? Asked by: sundar1950in
  • Jasmeen Patheja am fascinated that most of the questions here come from men. hello to the men. what brings you here and where/ how do you see your role in the issue? what are your thoughts on not warning ma and sister and wife and daughter. what are your thoughts on engaging with men to not further the issue through sexist comments/ 'jokes'/ gaalis/ 'chick charts and rating'. on not seeing your role as protector- women dont need to be 'protected'- we need to see what the problem is and then address that directly. how are we raising our men. 'we raising=both parents/ society.
  • jasmeen you are right but what you told is " we need to have active campaigns that restore public faith in the police and state" how we can believe.. i have my own incident "My mother is a teacher and she were Beeten up by some anti social alements and we went to my Police station to reort but SHo didn't file an FIR even and i was sent back to my home becouse that criminal has support of my local MLA.. and we again went to give an application to our S.P through our Police then he threten us thet when the information will come to me to invistigate this issue I will report it as every aligation is fabricated." this is not only my case lac of case is in india happning every day after this how we can restore our faith on Police and State. Asked by: Anupam Anand
  • Jasmeen Patheja i know and i hear echoes of what you're saying everywhere. that's why am saying that we need the state and the police to work on restoring public faith .
  • Another step should be that the women should take extra precautions such as not traveling too late in the evening, avoiding strangers and being bold and confident. Yes women have equal rights as men! But don't you think security is more important than freedom and one has his/her security in his/her own hands, more or less? Your comments! Asked by: gaurav
  • Jasmeen Patheja we did an event where action heroes sat down to conversation over chai and samosa with a stranger. the chat went on for an hour. they spoke about many things- life. fears. dreams. make contact with strangers. unlearn fear. sometimes strangers are not so strange. we are taught to be afraid sadly 'for our own good'- there are less people walking outside with the intention to harm that those intending to harm. get out. :)
  • Do you really think this menace can be tackled without addressing on the strong caste system/khap panchayat etc that prevails in the country? Having said that, education and awareness on gender equality may act as a deterrent to some limited extent. But the question is – who will take this responsibility? Obviously expecting Govt to do this is a bit naïve. It is primarily the job of the NGOs(obviously with financial support from Govt) to take this responsibility. However I find most NGOs work in urban areas, not much in the rural or semi-urban areas, where the need is more acute. Why are NGOs reluctant to work in rural areas and/or what are the deterrents in working in rural areas and what can Govt do to make the situation conducive? Asked by: deep
  • Jasmeen Patheja ofcourse sexual violence can be tackled. we need your commitment in making change. not a womans issue- an issue of masculinites. not a woman's issue- an issue perpetuated by society. and society/ socities are pledging to change. slow change. but change is good. It is the job of the state. the ngos and the very important person- each of us. lets examine and acknowledge our role in this issue.
  • Why there's no same amount of outrage against the rapes in North- east, Kashmir and other rural areas where the Tribals and Dalits women are being raped , what about their safety? Asked by: Nik
  • Jasmeen Patheja There are so many rapes and incidents of sexual violence that go unreported too. this is about pledging to build safe cities / towns/ villages for every person. Pledge to stay outraged to follow this through.
  • FEAR FOR LAW OF LAND AMONG CITIZEN OF INDIA IS LACKING,WHICH RESULT IN HENONIOUS CRIME? Asked by: Vinny
  • Jasmeen Patheja yes there is no fear of law and a general lack of trust in it. this system needs to prove itself to its citizens more visibly. #SafeCityPledge from multiple perspectives. looking forward to change.
  • Jasmeen, even a casual observer can predict that if the sale of the easily available liquor is curtailed, at least 50 % of the crimes-rash driving, rapes, violence, etc. will stop. This is because it has been found that most of the crimes are carried out under the influence of liquor. But the govt. simply won't do this as sale of liquor brings substantial amount of monies to the govt. Do you agree with this point? Asked by: gaurav
  • Jasmeen Patheja i dont see too many women behaving exactly the same way under the influence of alcohol? do i? no excuse
  • What needs to be addressed is the whole idea of this chauvinistic attitude that exists in our society today, for which sorry to say -- a majority of Indian Women have disgracefully adapted to it quite well. {It was their Life, their Freedom and was a Revolution worth fighting for.} This hasn't happened overnight, but rather inherited thru centuries.. and its a disease not just restricted to lower/middle class men only. Laws and other punitive measures cannot change this damn mindset. However, the only hope remains is a CHANGE WITHIN before we expect others to change. Our Future Generations Demands this CHANGE now more than ever. Is it too hard, too selfish to imagine Lenon's Imagine? Pardon my cynical tone. Asked by: vishalp
  • Jasmeen Patheja no. please be idealistic. ask what if? twist things around. make that possible. at blank noise we ask our action heroes to come out to be idle. to be purposeless. as a result women tackled the fear based relationship they had with their cities. the streets became theirs. they walked in the middle of the pavement and got their space. http://blog.blanknoise.org/2008/10/step-by-step-guide-to-unapologetic.html
  • Political parties to suspend leaders accused of rape and expel those who are convicted will bring a better example in the society.Is this possible ?? Asked by: sundar1950in
  • Jasmeen Patheja about time political leaders did take some stand. dont want pity. just take charge. address making dreaming safe cities as top priorities. women dont need to be 'protected'- instead we need a society that makes itself less violent
  • Sex education and sex not a taboo for discussion in the school,family and society will improve the society to be more responsible ??? Asked by: sundar1950in
  • Jasmeen Patheja yes talk more. begins even in the small ways- why is sanitary napkin always sold in little black plastic covers? not linked to rape but yes it is linked to our discomfort around our bodies. in us being able to talk about our bodies. talk. without shame. sometimes we dont talk because we never give ourselves that vocab and yet we swear. swear all time. no? here's what we did fr raksha bandhan http://blog.blanknoise.org/2012/08/raksha-bandhan.html
  • You might say that women have equal rights as men. But don't you think that security is much more important than liberation? Ultimately it is the woman who has to take care of herself as it is the victim who has to suffer tremendously? Asked by: gaurav
  • Jasmeen Patheja action heroes not victims. suffering is often linked to shame and izzat. not my shame. not my izzat. shift blame to the person doing it. reflect your role in this society that is creating these men. pledge your role in changing this mindset. women who experience violence are not victims. they survive it. they are action heroes
  • what steps should be taken to make Government sensitive about making POLICE, "FRIENDLY" with every citizen of this country. Asked by: Anupam Anand
  • Jasmeen Patheja yes we need to have active campaigns that restore public faith in the police and state. we need to 'see' / be shown examples of cases that have been fast tracked. its not enough to just have more police. or more vigil but women need to know that we can walk up to a police station with confidence that the report will be filed. we will be respected not judged by means of dress/ character etc and that it will be followed through speedily.
  • 'Catch them young'. Do you agree that we need to teach kids from a very small age about the rights & wrongs. If so why don't people talk to their kids about 'Sex Ed' as well as such issues when they are growing up. Think this will also have a positive effect in curbing such crimes. Asked by: A.B
  • Jasmeen Patheja Yes to sexuality education. Children also learn through observation. They learn from observing the power dynamic at home- in hidden everyday sense they get the message. every little thing is taught. One action hero pledged that she won't ever give her daughter a sex starved barbie to play with and never give her son a toy gun either. #SafeCityPledge http://www.facebook.com/events/383859798366092/?fref=ts Earlier this year we asked Action Heroes to send in their first memory of street harassment. Here's what we got. http://actionheroes.blanknoise.org/search/label/recall also What do you think of co education schooling?
  • What can we as common citizens do to ensure that the focus remains on this issue of women's safety? and that concrete action is taken - step by step? Asked by: c4conscience
  • Jasmeen Patheja we as citizens need to pledge we wont forget this. that we wont be indifferent or too used to 'hearing about violence". we need to acknowledge the little or big ways in which we can influence change. for instance- can the men here invest more time engaging with men around them about the issue instead of warning their sisters/ mother/ daughters that it's not safe? Again here I refer to what Peter Griffin wrote- THE PROBLEM IS US http://zigzackly.blogspot.in/2012/12/the-problem-is-us.html#links We're asking you to make a pledge. Pledge your role in making change If you're a journalist- pledge that you will report stories of how many girls dealt with sexual violence as action heroes and not victims. there are no victims - survivors. pledge that when you report violence you also put emphasis on the role of the bystander who intervened and made a change. often we hear about the third person who was attacked and died. while its important to report it we also need to hear of cases where the bystander was successful. these success stories can reinforce a behaviour pattern . will inspire bystanders to get involved and change the scene. we need to examine our role. in unlearning warnings. in unwarning our women. in shifting attention to masculinities and men also. we need to create spaces following these ideologies- inviting you to create your own HAHAHA Sangha in your neighbourhood. It's a space where women commit to laughing out loud in public- http://blog.blanknoise.org/2012/12/hahaha-sangha.html
  • Till India is made 100 percent rape free, women must take certain precaution with regard to their action in public and their movement in the dark. Asked by: Prathap
  • Jasmeen Patheja women have been brought up with warnings. trained to be cautious. its time to unlearn fear. to have a relationship with the city we need to not fear it. own it. my city. Take back the Night. Go outside. and from an urban planning space- Why is it so dark? Where are the street lights? Turn the focus around now- on the person causing violence. Have you read Nilanjana Roys article " Talking Rape" ? I quote " If you really want a system to change, start by changing the way women are treated every day, in their homes, in their workplaces, by their families. That kind of revolution, in our daily lives and behaviours, is much harder to bring about than passing a law, or setting up fast-track courts. It’s also more lasting." "This is frightening to accept, just as it is frightening for people to start acknowledging that even violent rapes—the ones with the iron rods, the knifes of nightmare, the razor blades, the sharpened sticks shoved into women’s bodies—are often perpetrated by very ordinary men. The more we call rapists monsters and brutes, the less we acknowledge where rape comes from"
  • More police patrolling in the Cities and towns and a strict vigil in the night will have any effect ?? Asked by: sundar1950in
  • Jasmeen Patheja we need the issue of safe cities to be seen as a priority and we need to make that happen without perpetuating fear. survelliance and strict vigil without creating panic. Without Panic. Alert. Hyper Security. Yet with URGENCY. Dream a Safe City. Pledge it.
  • What can we as common citizens do to ensure that the focus remains on this issue of women's safety? and that concrete action is taken - step by step? Asked by: c4conscience
  • Jasmeen Patheja I PLEDGE to Walk Alone. Unlearn Fear. #SafeCityPledge #DelhiGangRape I PLEDGE to be visible in my city. Unlearn Fear. #SafeCityPledge #DelhiGangRape I PLEDGE to not tell my daughter/ wife/ sister/ girls to "be safe". #SafeCityPledge #DelhiGangRape I PLEDGE to not be indifferent to 'eve-teasing'. Sexual Violence. To never be 'okay with it' #SafeCityPledge #DelhiGangRape

Hosted by

Jasmeen Patheja
Women's rights activist and founder of Blank Noise