ibnlive » Chat

3 pm, Jan 21 Jan 21, 2013

CBSE Board chemistry examination

As part of the IBNLive-Topper chat series, Kanika Rustagi, chemistry teacher, will interact with students who will appear for the 2013 CBSE Board examinations which start from March 1. Parents and teachers can also benefit from her tips.
This chat is over. Thanks for joining.
30 questions answered | 2 questions pending
  • How to do this mam? Complete the reaction: XeF6+NaF=? Asked by: Somapika
  • Kanika Rustagi 2NaF + XeF6 → Na2XeF8
  • what is power? Asked by: ankita
  • Kanika Rustagi Power is the rate at which work is done. It is the work/time ratio
  • How important is a good chemistry lab? Asked by: SBH
  • Kanika Rustagi A good chemistry lab helps you build up your practical knowledge about the concepts and good availability of materials, instruments and chemicals is also an advantage of a good lab
  • What is the future of Msc Chemistry? Asked by: SBH
  • Kanika Rustagi You can go for Phd in chemistry; or for teaching either in schools or colleges. You can even try in industries, they are a big demand for chemistry students in industry like fertilizers, chemical etc.
  • Why does the solubility of gas in liquids decrease with rise in temperature? Asked by: Sunny
  • Kanika Rustagi As temperature increases, the mean kinetic energy of all particles present increase, allowing for the gases dissolved to evaporate more readily, as they are in a greater state of vibratory motion - that is they are present in a more gaseous form. Phase is determined by the extent of motion of particles, which is determined by the intermolecular forces acting between molecules. An increase in temperature will also increase the motion of dissolved particles by weakening the forces acting between the solute and solvent. This allows the dissolved gases to evaporate out of solution. Hence an increase in temperature corresponds to a decrease in the solubility of gases in liquids.
  • Could you explain the spdf configuration of elements? Asked by: Manisha Behera
  • Kanika Rustagi Follow up this link given below to have a clear understanding of the electronic configurations of elements: http://www.topperlearning.com/student/topic/MTA0/CBSE-Class%20XI-Chemistry-Structure%20of%20Atom-Electronic%20configuration%20of%20atoms
  • how to crack 100% in chemistry? Asked by: SBH
  • Kanika Rustagi To score more in exams: prepare well by solving and practicing more and more sample papers and question; be thorough with the concepts. Try to make flowcharts for the organic conversion reactions to save your time while revising. Assess your preparation by attempting the Topper Pre - board paper: http://www.topperlearning.com/preboard
  • Why at 1000k sulphur is paramagnetic in nature? Asked by: Somapika
  • Kanika Rustagi It is paramagnetic because of 2 unpaired electrons present in anti bonding π* orbitals like O2
  • Please tell me how to prepare the reactions of Organic Chemistry? Asked by: Nirnimesh Kumar Basak
  • Kanika Rustagi You can prepare for the reactions in organic chemistry by making flow charts for the big and lengthy conversions. Make crisp notes for the chapters and try to memorize and understand the name reactions. They have a good chance of being asked in the exams. Solve sample papers and previous year papers to get an idea of the kind of questions asked.
  • In the reactions of 'The p-Block Elements' is it necessary to balance the reactions? Asked by: Nirnimesh Kumar Basak
  • Kanika Rustagi Balancing is always mandatory while writing a chemical reaction, be it in the p-block section or any other topic
  • What are the job options after BTECH CHemical Asked by: SBH
  • Kanika Rustagi Petro chemicals and textile industry are some sub categories in chemical engineering field where engineering graduates can choose their earnings; Some of the companies that hire chemical engineers: Alkyl Amines Chemicals Ltd Alpha Hi-Tech Fuel Ltd Alufluoride Ltd Cals Refineries Ltd Camlin Fine Chemicals Ltd Camphor & Allied Products Ltd. Castron Technologies Ltd Chambal Fertilisers & Chemicals Galada Power & Telecommunication Ltd Ganesh Benzoplast Ltd GHCL Ltd. GMR Ferro Alloys & Industries Ltd
  • It is said HBTI Kanpur is the best institute of chemical enginnering in India, true? Asked by: SBH
  • Kanika Rustagi It depends lot on the faculty, rest depends on the individuals.Yes it is a very good institute.
  • BITS pilani offers MSc Tech CHemistry Hons for 5 years, how is it? Asked by: SBH
  • Kanika Rustagi If you have interest in chemistry and want to pursue your career in hard core chemistry, want to research or want to become a chemist you can take up.
  • How important is chemistry for IITJEE as compared to Physics and MAths Asked by: SBH
  • Kanika Rustagi Chemistry is equally important for IIT JEE since all the three subjects have equal weightage in the exam so prepare well for all
  • How can I balance IIT JEE and boards? Asked by: SBH
  • Kanika Rustagi First understand each of the chapters and the basics taught in NCERT book.Solve the NCERT exercise.Once you are thorough with the basics, the basic concept of derivation of each formula then you will never have to worry about your board.Then study in detail and more tricky problem for JEE.
  • Why h3po3 is called diprotic acid? Asked by: Somapika
  • Kanika Rustagi H3PO3 has two ionisable H atoms hence it behaves as dibasic or diprotic
  • do we need more time for organic or inorganic? Asked by: SBH
  • Kanika Rustagi You need to focus on both organic and inorganic equally; its just that there is more learning in case of inorganic whereas organic chemistry needs more practice and revision.
  • CFT theory in coordination compounds. I am not understanding the way i'll have to find the configuration of the weak and strong ligand fields. Asked by: Somapika dutta
  • Kanika Rustagi According to CFT, the ligands which cause a small degree of crystal field splitting like water are called weak field ligands. For these, the crystal field splitting deltao is less than the energy required for electron pairing hence here high spin complex is formed i.e. the fourth electron enters the eg orbitals similarly for strong field ligands, the crystal field splitting is more than the energy required for electron pairing and hence they form low spin complex i.e. the fourth electron is filled in t2g orbital and eg orbital remains unoccupied.
  • I understand all the concepts of chemistry but after sometimes i forget everything..why is this happening and what should i do? Asked by: kanika sharma
  • Kanika Rustagi Already answered.
  • Which book i prefer for neet for the chemistry. Asked by: Junaid
  • Kanika Rustagi Read NCERT thoroughly. log on to: http://www.topperlearning.com/jee-exam for NEET chemistry.you can study from Pradeeps, ABC.
  • Mam..i undrstnd all concepts clearly bt after sumtimes i forget...why is dis happening?and what should i do? Asked by: kanika sharma
  • Kanika Rustagi Practice by writing...attempt question papers and solve them in allotted time.you can practice sample papers and then check the answers at: www.topperlearning.com can appear for preboard papers:Register yourself for FREE on http://www.topperlearning.com/preboard First 10,000 registration will get FREE evaluation of their Answer Sheets as well.
  • Aldol condensation with an example Asked by: Somapika
  • Kanika Rustagi An aldol condensation is an organic reaction in which an enol or an enolate ion reacts with a carbonyl compound to form a β-hydroxyaldehyde or β-hydroxyketone, followed by a dehydration to give a conjugated enone. The base-catalyzed aldol condensation, in which the catalyst is usually the hydroxide ion, is more common. The hydroxide ion deprotonates the carbonyl compound reversibly. Then, the enolate ion formed adds to the unreacted carbonyl compound. The Alkoxide ion formed is protonated by water. Aldol compound formed from this step is an enolizable carbonyl compound. A small amount of it is converted to the corresponding enolate ion by the hydroxide ion and then this enolate ion loses a hydroxide ion to yield an α,β-unsaturated carbonyl compound,.
  • is ncert t\b alone enough to scrore full marks in organic chemistry part, because i found some questions in sample papers out of scope of text book! Asked by: Nikhil Varma
  • Kanika Rustagi Yes, NCERT chemistry is more than enough for scoring good marks; there can be some conversions which might not be discussed in the textbook but are given in the sample papers so you can practice them to gain confidence and strengthen your concepts.
  • What is Line spectra and emission spectra Asked by: kanika sharma
  • Kanika Rustagi Line spectrum consists of lines of definite frequencies whereas emission spectrum are obtained emission spectra are produced by thin gases in which the atoms do not experience many collisions (because of the low density). The emission lines correspond to photons of discrete energies that are emitted when excited atomic states in the gas make transitions back to lower-lying levels.
  • What will be the difference in questions in 2013 chemstry compared to 2012? And which chapter would attract more value based questions? Asked by: Rahul
  • Kanika Rustagi value based questions can be asked from any of the chapters. Still there is more probability that they can be asked from:1.Alcohol,phenol,ethers, 2.Biomolecule, 3.Chemistry in everyday life(very very imp reg v b qs), 4.electrochemistry, 5.solutions, 6 . polymers
  • Madam, Can You Please Clarify Me With Concept Of Acid Bases And Salt With All Three Theories Asked by: Shashank
  • Kanika Rustagi The Arrhenius Theory of acids and bases: • Acids are substances which produce hydrogen ions in solution. • Bases are substances which produce hydroxide ions in solution. The Bronsted-Lowry Theory of acids and bases: • An acid is a proton (hydrogen ion) donor. • A base is a proton (hydrogen ion) acceptor. The Lewis Theory of acids and bases: • An acid is an electron pair acceptor. • A base is an electron pair donor.
  • do guess questions and papers given by chemistry teachers really help students get good marks Asked by: Nikhil Varma
  • Kanika Rustagi yes, guess question papers and sample papers are a really good help while preparing for the exams
  • For higest score purpose, how to prepare the examination? Asked by: raj
  • Kanika Rustagi To score more in exams: prepare well by solving and practicing more and more sample papers and question; be thorough with the concepts. Try to make flowcharts for the organic conversion reactions to save your time while revising. Assess your preparation by attempting the Topper Pre - board paper: http://www.topperlearning.com/preboard
  • Tell me about the heisnberg uncertainity principle Asked by: kanika sharma
  • Kanika Rustagi Heisnberg uncertainity principle states that the position and momentum of a microscopic particle cannot be simultaneously measured with arbitrarily high precision .The more precisely the position of some particle is determined, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa.
  • Distinguish between 'rate expression' and 'rate constant' of a reaction Asked by: sourav
  • Kanika Rustagi To express the rate of a reaction as a mathematical function of the concentration of the reactants is called a rate expression. whereas, rate constant is a measure of the rate of the reaction i.e. it is the rate of the reaction when concentration of each of the reactants is unity.

Hosted by

Kanika Rustagi
Chemistry teacher