ibnlive » Chat

12 noon, Nov 30 Nov 30, 2012

On his book 'Centurion - The Father, the Son and the Spirit of Cricket'

In this novel, the reader takes up the guise of the famous cricketer and sets forth on a philosophical journey like no other. Told in a light, engaging voice, the story moves from a single incident - the interview of a prospective candidate for the position of a college principal - to larger speculations about life, the universe and the great game known as existence. Sachin - witty, sharp and observant - functions as a guide on this metaphysical, fantastical journey from the everyday of a college ground to the larger ground of life.
This chat is over. Thanks for joining.
17 questions answered | No question pending
  • What inspired you to start writing and how do you sustain the momentum while writing? Asked by: Tiger
  • Pramesh Ratnakar There is nothing easy about writing. You just got to sit down and do it. The reason why you get into it - it helps to make sense of the world.
  • Which is your favourite chapter from the book and why? Asked by: Raghu
  • Pramesh Ratnakar My favourite chapter : "The Great Combo". As I put it in the book itself, it is a combo of Biblical and Vedic tradition - served with free cricketing sauce.
  • When can we read your next book? Asked by: smriti
  • Pramesh Ratnakar Have you finished with this one?
  • Your favourite authors/books? A Asked by: Himanshu
  • Pramesh Ratnakar These days Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift.
  • Have you met Sachin ? Asked by: Ravi
  • I would like to know your intention of writing-Centurion? Asked by: DK
  • Pramesh Ratnakar At the heart of the book is utopian vision of a world without violence, without match-fixing.
  • What do you love to do the most,other than reading or writing? Asked by: Naina
  • Pramesh Ratnakar I am an active sports person - play Tennis, Badminton, squash, T.T. Golf. Whatever, whenever.
  • Sir, did you do any research on Sachin before starting the book. Asked by: Sonia
  • Pramesh Ratnakar Minimum. I have just focused on those aspects of his life which everybody knows about. In the novel, I am more interested in the idea of Sachin, rather than Sachin himself.
  • Hi, was it intentional to write on the Cricket god. He has a hugh fan following. Asked by: Pragya Basu
  • Pramesh Ratnakar Certainly intentional. The book has a message - it needs to get across to as many people as possible.
  • Can Cricket be called the national game of our country? Asked by: HAIMANTI DUTTA RAY
  • Pramesh Ratnakar Better to call it the national obsession.
  • Any suggestions for the aspiring writers? Asked by: Sneha
  • Pramesh Ratnakar Do a lot of free writing. Do about 30 minutes of it everyday. Free writing involves picking up a pen - and once you start writing you have to ensure that the pen does not stop writing. You don't have to worry about anything - just make sure that the writing does not stop.
  • Sir, you have been writing on culture and religion. What made you interested in writing on sports. Asked by: Shamla
  • Pramesh Ratnakar Sports IS a cultural phenomenon, and isn't cricket religion in India?
  • Have you ever wanted to be in sports and not academics. Asked by: Raghu Bhonsle
  • Pramesh Ratnakar I have always thought of myself as sportsperson, who has strayed into academics. And I have actively played different sports all my life.
  • Hello, How different is the book from other books on Sachin? Asked by: Rajesh Mohite
  • Pramesh Ratnakar It is very different from other books - not just books on Sachin, but other novels as well. I would classify it as a novel of utopian ideas, and it is basically concerned with the question: Can we not have in our own lifetime, the kind of world we would like to live in? In this novel, I equate the game of cricket with life, and if Sachin as God of Cricket has understood the fundamental truths about Cricket, then maybe he could be thought of as someone who can come to terms with the the fundamental truths of life as well.
  • Is it a real father-son story from Sachin's life? Asked by: Nidhi Punia
  • Pramesh Ratnakar This is a completely fictional narrative. But it uses knowledge of incidents that everybody knows about. In the novel, it is the reader who actually becomes Sachin, and then starts thinking about life and fatherhood.
  • Sir, tell us something about the book? Asked by: Akshay lal
  • Pramesh Ratnakar Fundamentally, the book is about the shadows that fall between the world of sports and the world of academics. At a deeper level, the gap between the two is indicative of the gap that divides mind from the body, the internal from the external, the motive from the action, the conception from the creation. The book heroically wades in, and seeks to bridge the gaps. Does it succeed? You'll have to read and find out.
  • Pramesh sir, how did you get into writing, being a professor how did you take time out for writing a book? Asked by: Akshat Chawla
  • Pramesh Ratnakar I enjoyed writing the book. It sort of wrote itself. In specific terms, I took two summer vacations to write the book. Also, it IS a short book.

Hosted by

Pramesh Ratnakar
Author