ibnlive » Chat

4pm Aug 19, 2013

On her book 'The Mute Anklet'

It's the 1790s in India. The third Anglo-Mysore War, between the kingdom of Mysore and the East India Company, is hurtling towards a climax. The British, having captured the Malabar Coast, are lurching nervously towards Bangalore. Tipu Sultan is waging a ferocious battle. The book is set in an era of grand historical crusades, will there be time for the personal? Find out in this captivating novel.
This chat is over. Thanks for joining.
9 questions answered | No question pending
  • How does it feel to be an author? Asked by: Sam
  • Radhika Nathan I have always enjoyed writing. So that part continues to feel great. The published author part is quite nerve-wracking. :)
  • I find the title of the book to be quite interesting. Could you explain why selected it? Is it connected to the protagonist? Asked by: Ridhi
  • Radhika Nathan Thanks, I really struggled with the title. It IS connected with the protagonist, though it is not metaphorical. It refers quite literally to an anklet - like the thick antique ones that usually makes sound. Such an anklet plays a part in the novel.
  • Dear Radhika, congratulations on the book. Could you please tell me what the book is all about and why should I buy it over any other book on Anglo-Mysore war. Asked by: Jatin
  • Radhika Nathan Thank you. The book is a historical, romance, mystery, military fiction. Its about two people facing tough circumstances, challenging and influencing each other and eventually enriching each other's lives. They also together uncover a mystery. Your second question is difficult :) I'd say if you like strong characters in unusual settings, then you'd like this book.
  • Hi Radhika, what made you choose that time period in the novel? Asked by: Sanjay
  • Radhika Nathan Good question, I am not too sure how to answer without giving away a good chunk of the plot. Let me just say the time period has a strong relevance for the plot. Historically this was the right time period to set this story.
  • What kind of research did you do before you started writing the book? Asked by: Satya
  • Radhika Nathan Honestly, the writing was an excuse for research. I love reading. I visited libraries - both dusty and glitzy and read a lot of interesting books. I also emailed a few museums and got pictures of period costume, weapons etc. I traveled a bit too. All in all, I had a lot of fun.
  • Is it geared only for Indian audience? Asked by: Arun
  • Radhika Nathan Not at all. The protagonist is an Englishman so there is certainly an outside-in view in the book that someone without much knowledge of south Indian history can totally enjoy. I like to think the novel works in different levels and if you were an insider you could appreciate the irony a touch more.
  • I enjoyed reading your book. In your view, what was the toughest part of writing this book? Asked by: skanda
  • Radhika Nathan Thank you. The toughest part was what to edit out! Since this is my first novel, I was initially trying to put everything I learnt in the novel. The gawkiness of a first time author probably still shows :) Seriously, I came across some really interesting historical nuggets and had to cut them out in favor of tighter story telling. Sometimes I had to reduce a lot of interesting research to a single line.
  • hi Radhika, what inspired you to write this book? Asked by: Kia
  • Radhika Nathan It was a painting that inspired this novel. If you do an image search in the internet for Anglo-Mysore war I am sure you'd find it. It's a painting of a battle – orange ball of flame, exploding rockets, a horse rearing up... High history in short :)
  • Is it strictly a novel or is there a real relevant historical connection with it? Asked by: Karma
  • Radhika Nathan It is strictly a novel/fiction for sure. However, it is inspired by historical events. There is real relevant connection with the events of the third Anglo-Mysore war. For example the hero is credited in the novel with the capture of an imaginary fort – and that battle is based on the events leading to the capture of Nandidrug. The final battle that the hero participates in is also largely based on actual events. Having said that, the main characters, their trials and tribulations are all imaginary.

Hosted by

Radhika Nathan
Author