ibnlive » Chat

3 pm Nov 14, 2012

'Jab Tak Hai Jaan' vs 'Son of Sardar': Which one do you like?

Join CNN-IBN Entertainment Editor Rajeev Masand for a webchat on Bollywood Diwali releases - 'Jab Tak Hai Jaan' & 'Son of Sardaar'.
This chat is over. Thanks for joining.
57 questions answered | No question pending
  • being the biggest hero of India, dont you think Shahrukh needs to do something different and better movies than these? he doesnt seem to want to work in movies like Swades anymore Asked by: Siva
  • Rajeev Masand I think he should mix it up. Wouldn't it be great if he did one meaningful, intelligent, worthy film in between every commercial, masala film he did?
  • we all can agree... that swades was the movie... that made SRK the actor more prominient.. than SRK the star...?? how would you analyse... his work... before swades... and after swades... Asked by: lotzz
  • Rajeev Masand I dont think thats necessarily true. I think he showed great range in films like kabhi haan kabhi naa, raju ban gaya gentleman, even DDLJ and Kuch Kuch. But Swades was the one that completely blew our minds because it was such an inherently honest and straight-from-the-heart performance.
  • from mohabbatein till don 2.... ALL of SRK's movie have been international hits... Dont you think... SRK is the biggest contender... of all the actors ... in spreading the indian entertaining cinema... onto a global level???? you gotta admit... the kind of fan following he has overseas... is unprecedented... and unmatched by any other actor...??? Asked by: lotzz
  • Rajeev Masand SRK has a considerable fan following overseas. But so do aamir, salman, hrithik, ranbir and others. I think all these actors have together contributed in putting hindi cinema on the global map. Still, we're talking about NRI or diaspora audiences. The big achievement would be getting non-hindi speaking / white audiences to embrace indian cinema. that is happening at a much slower rate.
  • Do you think Yashjki's abscence majorly affected the final edit? the film could have been much swifter and much lighter had he been around .The family seems not to have tampered with the final lock of his edit beyond 13th October. Asked by: Sayan
  • Rajeev Masand From what I hear, Yashji had completed the final edit and approved it before he passed away.
  • SRK from a television actor... to the BIGGEST superstar of the decade.... dont you think.. he is a self made man....??? his hard work... and passion has made him what he is... he certainly deserves the respect... your views please Asked by: lotzz
  • Rajeev Masand Of course he's a self made man, and I think he's a fine actor. I wish he would pick consistently interesting films.
  • Do you feel that in today’s time people can be taken by foreign locales and same old script like in JTHJ or leave your brains behind comedy in SOS for long, when can Indian film industry be expected to mature Asked by: Manush
  • Rajeev Masand I think the mindless and the mature films will both have to co-exist.
  • Rajeev , offlate i have observed that you tend to compare indian movies to hollywood standards. OR you are really smitten by the different genres and scripts of hollywood and kind of expect the same from indian cinema. Cause i read both your hind and english review and even a fairly ok english movies gets a better rating than an average hindi fare. This opinion is collective even some of my friends feel the same ...... Asked by: sanjay
  • Rajeev Masand Why should we apply different standards to different films? Are you saying I should judge Hindi films by lower standards? Are you saying we are a "weaker" or "lesser" film industry? I judge ALL films by the same standards - my own. And i think it's fair to say hollywood does tend to make more competent films. They do make a lot of terrible films too, but there's a basic standard they achieve, which we don't always. But when good HIndi films come along, I'm the first to acknowledge it.
  • SOS is a remake of Maryada ramanna and Maryada ramanna was directed by SS Rajamouli( Makkhis director).Dont you think the prime thing here is Entertainment. be it mindless or mindful? Asked by: Srikar
  • Rajeev Masand Indeed that is true. But I think SOS was lazy and not very entertaining in the first place.
  • Do you think the clash between JTHJ & SOS could have been avoided or was it deliberate? Asked by: Vikram
  • Rajeev Masand Well since it's a long empty week, there's scope for both films to do good business. Clearly both film wanted to take advantage of the long holiday week.
  • son of sardar will be biggest blockbuster Asked by: priya thapa
  • Rajeev Masand Well, let's hope so. Fingers crossed.
  • Hi Rajeev. Watched JTHJ yesterday. Felt it to be a flawless romantic poetry. Although I haven't watched SOS yet, so cannot comment but JTHJ is a masterpiece. Yash Ji leaves his mark. Asked by: Abhishek
  • Rajeev Masand I dont think it was flawless, but it was quite romantic and despite its many script problems, it was watchable.
  • Why is there aleays a negative publicity for a movie like Jab tak hain Jaan.. specials from the other stars fan clubs.. Asked by: hamid
  • Rajeev Masand I think fans are so passionate about their favorite stars than they think running down their rivals makes them look somehow loyal to their idols.
  • Today i m plannin to go for a movie wich movie should i prefer to watch either jthj or son of sardar Asked by: Pankaj matjhani
  • Rajeev Masand I think JTHJ is more watchable, although it's long, and slow in portions.
  • i have seen SOS awesome movie ..wht abt JTHJ.. Asked by: jack ..
  • Rajeev Masand I think JTHJ was more watchable. But I'd love to know what you thought after you've seen it.
  • you seem to have a great time in an interview with srk... anushka and kat..... can you please mention more about the experience... and what you felt about the chemistry between the three in that interview Asked by: saurabh
  • Rajeev Masand They were great fun. I think SRK knows how to entertain his audience and he really drew out the girls who were so shy in the start.
  • Mr. Bachchan has gone on record to say that SRK has outdone himself even better than 'Swades', SRK's a superlative actor, just that his choice of movies aint that great, do you agree? Asked by: Sai
  • Rajeev Masand I do think he makes some odd choices and is drawn to some strange films. But he is very good when his heart is in it and when he's working with directors who draw the best out of him.
  • how much has yash ji's abscenece affected the final cut of the movie???? Asked by: saurabh
  • Rajeev Masand Why should Yashji's absence affect the final cut? The film was edited and ready when he passed. He had seen and approved the final cut.
  • given the fact that both the movies are completely different.... which movie you find better???? jthj or ek tha tiger? Asked by: saurabh
  • Rajeev Masand I thought JTHJ was more watchable.
  • you feel.... the songs from jthj lacked the magic??? also... how much does the picturisation of the songs contribute to the songs??? Asked by: saurabh
  • Rajeev Masand I think the songs were shot very well, but coming from rahman, i felt the music was a letdown.
  • which one had a better script??? veer zaara or jab tak hai jaan Asked by: saurabh
  • Rajeev Masand Oh dear, this is a tough one. I think there were problems in both scripts :-)
  • Watched son of sardar today and felt it was a good movie. It has been promoted as brainless entertainer so we should be taking it that way. As long as one gets entertained, its absolutely fine to have outrageous action sequences, thin plot & silly jokes. Don't you think critics these days have become a little too intellectual to say the least? SOS is an entertainer all the way! Asked by: Darshan
  • Rajeev Masand I dont think critics have become too intellectual. I don't mind that the film is brainless. I just mind that it wasn't very funny, it couldnt decide if it was a romantic, an action, or a comic movie. I was bored by how loud it was. The romantic track didnt work for me and I thought the actors were just disinterested.
  • you mentioned JTHJ rests with SRK ..... could you please elaborate more on it... other than what you have mentioned in your review??? Asked by: saurabh
  • Rajeev Masand I think he's the emotional anchor of the film. He carries the film on his shoulders. He is charismatic and intense and he plays the romantic hero so well even after all these years!
  • Which movie is better JTHJ or SOS Asked by: V..D.Khattar
  • Rajeev Masand I thought JTHJ was more watchable of the two.
  • Plz. which movie I should prefer, JTHJ or SOS ? Asked by: V..D.Khattar
  • Rajeev Masand I can't say which movie should you prefer, but I can tell you I thought JTHJ was more watchable despite being quite long and slow in parts.
  • Son of Sardar Asked by: john
  • Rajeev Masand Ok. I thought it was weak, but to each his own :-)
  • Do you think JHJ will gross 150 Cr? Asked by: Mansoor Ibrahim
  • Rajeev Masand Who knows? I'm not a trade analyst! I think it's a film SRK and YAsh Chopra fans will enjoy.
  • 'Jab Tak Hain Jaan' Asked by: Jab Tak Hain Jaan
  • Rajeev Masand For me too! :-)
  • Is SRK back in form? Asked by: Rahul
  • Rajeev Masand I certainly think so. I thought he was terrific in the film.
  • The plot device of the God promise was ludicrous to say the least.Do you agree? Asked by: Sayan
  • Rajeev Masand It was terrible. I agree completely. Brought the whole film down.
  • Hi Masand, Is JTHJ better than Barfi? Will SRK get another Filmware Asked by: Justin
  • Rajeev Masand No I dont think JTHJ is better than Barfi. I think Barfi had problems too, but it was a more audacious film and tried many new things.
  • I know both are 1-time watch, which one would you suggest to spend 1500 Rs for (movie watch with a family)? Asked by: Neeraj
  • Rajeev Masand Wow that's a lot of money! To me, JTHJ is a more watchable film. Although it is very long and very slow I must warn you.
  • in the coming years.... what kind of roles would you like srk to play.... i mean... since swades... he has been a totally different actor... who has started taking his roles very seriously... Asked by: lotzz
  • Rajeev Masand I'd like him to play more intense roles.
  • Hi Rajeev i read all your reviews and i like it a lot , i am from chennai do u see tamil films?When will you start reviewing tamil films? Asked by: Shyam M
  • Rajeev Masand I see Tamil films whenever I can get a hold of them with English subtitles. Would be so happy to review them if i could get hold of subtitled prints since I don't understand or speak Tamil.
  • Is your review on JTHJ 'emotionally' motivated? I saw the movie too & I do not want to criticize either; but you are a professional critique! Asked by: Naveen
  • Rajeev Masand It was not at all emotionally motivated. I think I said everything that I thought didn't work in the film. But it's still very watchable, and I thought the actors were charming.
  • Jab tak hai jaan obviously!! Asked by: hdfasgf
  • Rajeev Masand I thought so too :-)
  • dont you think... instead of looking... at the looking at the figures.. like 100 crores.. 200 crores... focus should be on the returns?? ... example... if a movies budget is 10 crores... and it gains 70 crores... then the returns in this case are 7 times.... !! a movies success should be determined by this factor... 2 times the reuturn- a hit 3 times the return - super hit 4 times - blockbuster 5 times - all time blockbuster Asked by: saurabh
  • Rajeev Masand I agree completely!
  • how much would you rate the following yash chopra - srk movies out of five...??? darr dil to paagal hain veer zaara jab tak hai jaan Asked by: saurabh
  • Rajeev Masand I wasn't a big fan of Dil To Paagal Hai or Veer Zaara. Darr I thought was very interesting.
  • JTHJ is about love and its feel and SOS is a mass masala film . i feel both work at BO because of wide audience.what is your pick? Asked by: Srikar
  • Rajeev Masand That's a very good point and I agree. They're totally different films. I thought JTHJ was more watchable.
  • Hi Rajeev, Hope you had great Diwali. I liked JTHJ. Question for you, Don't you think the YRF guys should re-edit and cut few scenes in the movie if they wish movie to run for some time? I honestly think so. What do you say? Asked by: Raj
  • Rajeev Masand I can't answer that question. I do think the film was too long, but whether they should re-edit the film to make it shorter is something only they can consider... However I don't think it's fair to re-edit the film of a legendary filmmaker like Yash Chopra without his consent, which is now unavailable. If this is the film he intended to put out, then so be it.
  • Do u like the music of JTHJ? It's irritating... Veer Zaara and JTHJ are diametrically opposite..Aren't they? Asked by: Maya Jagannathan, Newzealand
  • Rajeev Masand I can't help agreeing that the music of JTHJ is a letdown, especially coming from AR Rahman. However, I love the song Saans and I love the title theme music.
  • Hi rajeev I am great fan of your reviews. I recently watched JTHJ and I do feel that though movie has shied away from logic , it still managed to create a romantic aura which will be cherished for time to come. My question is Do you think "Death of Yash chopra could be the reason for more footfalls in theatres in near future than its script" Asked by: Dipanshu
  • Rajeev Masand I agree with your analysis of the film. Despite logical issues in the script, i think it was romantic. I dont think people go into a movie only because the filmmaker has passed away. And this is Yashji's last film. I think if people are going in to watch the film it's because Yash Chopra has a faithful following of fans who've enjoyed his movies for years.
  • Do you feel that Shahrukh when he is around 50 should be doing young man’s role or does that mean that bollywood does not have young actors Asked by: Manav
  • Rajeev Masand Yes I do feel we have a younger breed of actors who can easily play younger characters, but in this country from time immemorial we've cast our 40 and 50+ stars in younger characters. Why single out SRK? All our 40+ stars play young loverboys, even college students at this age.
  • I Usually follow your ratings... This 3 star for JTHJ looks over rated... Were You in pressure because it is a Yash Raj Movie to give higher rating?? Asked by: vinay
  • Rajeev Masand Nobody pressurizes me to give any reviews or ratings. I thought JTHJ was extremely watchable despite its script problems and the fact that it is very long and considerably slow. But you should watch it yourself and decide.
  • Didn't you feel that JTHJ was without a heart, with a threadbare plot line? Asked by: Mukti
  • Rajeev Masand Actually I think JTHJ had immense heart. The plot was slim, the conflict was very silly, but it was all heart. The charming actors and the conviction of a filmmaker who was clearly in love with his story.
  • What are the collections of Jab tak hai Jaan and Son of Sardar?? Asked by: Pranav
  • Rajeev Masand From the numbers I've received, I have been told first day collections of JTHJ are 12.5 cr and SOS is 8.25 cr. These are from trade sources who've collected the figures from distributors across the country.
  • Hi Masand, Belated Diwali Greetings, Happy Diwali! Of the two which one should i opt for a complete family entertainer? Asked by: Kiran
  • Rajeev Masand THank you Kiran! If you ask me personally, neither film is perfect. But I thought JTHJ is more watchable despite the fact that it is very long and very slow.
  • Is Jab Tak Hai Jaan really worth the hype.? Is SOS more Paisa Wasool.? Asked by: Onkar
  • Rajeev Masand JTHJ is far from a perfect film, but it is watchable largely because the actors are so charming. The script is convenient and has too many holes. SOS felt completely lazy to me. It was badly made, had no plot to speak of, and indifferent performances except for Juhi Chawla who was lovely in it.
  • Disappointed that you have not mentioned anything about the beautiful locales of JTHJ in your review. Does most of the story unfold in London? J&K looks lovely in the YRF swansong! Asked by: Sid.
  • Rajeev Masand Well a review can only have so much space and so many words. It's beautifully shot in London and Leh and Kashmir.
  • Do you think it'll spell end of SRK era if he fails to impress in Jab tak had Jaan ?? Asked by: Robert
  • Rajeev Masand Who knows? Actors have such long shelf-lives today. ALso i dont think any one film can wipe out an actor. Besides I think he was really very good in JTHJ.
  • Big fan of your's but can not deny when it comes to Sharukh you are biased towards his films. Are you a big SRK fan among all the Khan's? Asked by: sase1
  • Rajeev Masand You've obviously not seen my reviews of Ra.One, Don 2, Don, Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi. I can count on my fingers the SRK films I've enjoyed - Main Hoon Na, Swades, Chak De India, KANK, MNIK among the recent lot.
  • Is JTHJ better to watch den Ek Tha Tiger? Asked by: Salman Khan
  • Rajeev Masand I definitely thought so. To me ETT was a lazy film. Convenient and lazy.
  • Do you feel that fight over market share of single theatre owners with Devgun going to court is a good thing for the industry Asked by: Hitesh
  • Rajeev Masand I don't think it's a good thing for anyone. I'm sure they wish they'd sorted it out internally themselves. And the first day collections of both films aren't spectacular.
  • Katrina's acting was a weak point of JTHJ. Would you agree? Asked by: iyaz
  • Rajeev Masand I think she looked absolutely lovely, and she had some nice sparkling moments with SRK. But her character is written so ridiculous (the whole praying to god angle was SO difficult to swallow) that she comes off as weak.
  • Is not the screen life of actors like Salman and Shahrukh increasing because of media and small screen as they them in one form or the other whole day a tool that was not available to yesterday's actors like Rajesh Khanna and Devanand Asked by: Rij
  • Rajeev Masand That's an interesting take. It is true that current day actors have much longer shelf lives. Is it because of greater visibility of media attention? Im not sure... But yes I do think it could be because today there are so many more avenues open even apart from films - television etc.
  • Can SRK win another "Golden Kela Award" from his performances in "Jab tak hai jaan"? Asked by: Sreetama
  • Rajeev Masand I thought he was quite good in the film. He totally convinced me he was in love with Katrina's character. I thought he balanced the charismatic and intense bits quite well. I think he's better in JTHJ than he's been in many films.
  • arrange the following srk-yrf movies in ascending order (the one which you like the most... at first palce) 1. darr 2. DDLJ 3. dil toh paagal hain 4. mohabbatein 5. Veer Zaara 6. Chak De india 7. Rab ne Bana di jodi 8. JTHJ Asked by: lotzz
  • Rajeev Masand 1. Chak De India 2. Darr 3. DDLJ 4. JJHJ 5. Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi 6. Dil To Pagal Hai 7. Mohabbatein 8. Veer Zaara
  • which movie is best sos or jthj Asked by: karan
  • Rajeev Masand If you ask me for my personal opinion, I thought JTHJ was a more watchable film than SOS.

Hosted by

Rajeev Masand
Entertainment Editor, CNN-IBN