ibnlive » Chat

4 pm Dec 28, 2012

On her debut novel 'Garbage Beat'

Did Laila really say that? Not in her wildest dreams, not till sometime ago… Laila is on the entertainment beat—a world full of vain heroines, egoistic superstars, spirited item girls, prissy celebs… To top it all, life in the newsroom is a series of deadline-driven bloopers. Adding to the mayhem is sexy Bollywood journo-turned-item girl Latika; Chiki, the reporter who is obsessed with a superstar; award-winning super hack Indumati; and their razor-sharp and hard-to-please editor Bunny. Caught between her ambition to excel, a live-in boyfriend who feels ignored, and a father who is ashamed of her career choice, Laila realizes that the life of an entertainment reporter is not the glamour ride she had expected… because, on the Garbage Beat, reporting is a harrowing, ball-crushing, back-breaking affair.
This chat is over. Thanks for joining.
30 questions answered | No question pending
  • 1st of all congratulations on your debut book..Just wanted to know what actually inspired you for this book? And Garbage Beats - Any specific reason? Asked by: Hitesh
  • Richa Lakhera thank you! watching entertainment reporters slogging it out day in and night out inspired me. they are the stars.
  • aamir has never made any movie which you can call sci fi or massive action or may be a 300 like stuff! how can he be a chacha chaudhary? Asked by: pc
  • Richa Lakhera as i said he is counter intuitive. he knows his films inside out and his audience too
  • How well do you relate Journalism with Writing? And I am referring here to your life - your start with Journalism and Writer.. Asked by: Hitesh
  • Richa Lakhera i am an artist too. ok so does that confuse you more?
  • amir has never made any movie which you can call sci fi or massive action or may be a 300 like stuff! how can he be a chacha chaudhary? Asked by: pc
  • Richa Lakhera he is Mr Sharp. he is counter inuitive!
  • how do you perceive when our superhero dances? Asked by: pc
  • Richa Lakhera hey if mr moneybags is willing to give the man his dollar dinar pound for shaking his booty i think he deserves it, sometimes i feel i will do it for half the amount too!
  • What all books do you read and what sort of movies do you watch? Asked by: Manoranjani
  • Richa Lakhera i love dorian gray and happy prince and irving stone novels. i love quentin tarantino films - like all of them, kill bill etc
  • Hi Richa how the story come to your mind, i mean is it relate to real life or what? Asked by: Sheela Shivpuri
  • Richa Lakhera Garbage Beat is not one story, one anecdote. Its about this whole entertainment reporters' brigade in print and tv- and its dedicated to them
  • Richa, how bitchy does one have to be to successful in a TV news channel? Asked by: Dr Enigma
  • Richa Lakhera ha ha. you know bitchy is sexy right. entertainment reportage is tilted towards this tamasha angle but thats true all over the world - outside its a multi million dollar bizness
  • What's the most fun thing about your job and your life? Asked by: Chocolate Boy
  • Richa Lakhera I have swum with the sharks, been chased by ostriches, done ptocs on running camels, got lost in wando island ... so yeah its fun!! the fun thing would be knowing everything first. being on location where things are happening. being in the forefront and beating the clock with each story. getting the exclusives is a high.
  • Did journalism just happen or you considered other career options too? Asked by: Chocolate Boy
  • Richa Lakhera journalism dint happen to me. I chased it. i always knew i feel excited about this profession. you know when your heart quickens and you feel excited about something- its bang on right. just dont let go of it.
  • Hi richa , heard you on fm. Do you think your book is truthful or do you hide facts worried about star feedback? Asked by: Anaya
  • Richa Lakhera Fiction is a take on reality. But even fiction cannot be an uninformed opinion. its not random opinion or who will take you seriously. Having said that I have tried to be as truthful to the theme as possible.
  • Richa what keeps you on toes when interviewing big celebrities like Kareena, Salmaan? Also, who is the wittiest of them all? :) Asked by: Dr Enigma
  • Richa Lakhera I find salman and kareena very warm people. they are frank and say it like it is. and as they say only a good people can be a good artistes! The wittiest would still be Mr Amitabh Bachchan- he has no match. I think Aamir is like the chacha chaudhary of bolly stars- very very sharp, and a perfectionist. Shahrukh is very Witty. He is very well read and its a pleasure to talk to him everytime.
  • what is This book about? Asked by: Srikar
  • Richa Lakhera Garbage Beat is being called a scandalous book set in the backdrop of bollywood stars and tv entertainment reportage. Its about how entertainment reporters live from one headline to another. angry superstars, harassed heroines, pissed item girls, fighting fashion designers, live news situations, on air bloopers, its all there!
  • which movie star have you most enjoyed interviewing? Asked by: Author
  • Richa Lakhera amitabh bachchan - a reservoir of knowledge shahrukh khan - he is very witty and charming kareena kapoor - very frank and not starry though quite obviously a superstar salman khan - believe me his impeccable sense of humour!
  • Any Real life incident actually inspire this book? Asked by: Hitesh
  • Richa Lakhera fiction is a take on reality. people,anecdotes,incidents everything inspires- writing fiction is very liberating, but let me say i find reality is stranger and more fascinating than fiction
  • What do you find most difficult about your job? Asked by: Kiran
  • Richa Lakhera reporting from a party. believe me its a WAR ZONE! everyone is having a blast except you and then the unwanted attention from people, that can be very scary! and humiliating - superstars depart with their bodygaurds and reporters are left to deal with the mobs frenzy
  • Do any writers inspire you? Asked by: Madhulika
  • Richa Lakhera Oscar Wilde's Dorian Gray and Happy Prince have fascinated me forever. Guy de Maupassant too.
  • So Shall we assume that all we see is not to be believed? Asked by: Mani
  • Richa Lakhera on tv? of course its always a perspective. what we try to do is not to finger point, or pass judgements, or be a groupie or sit on the fence for someone or be prejudiced, thats not our job. I just want to give a perspective, and you can accept it or not. also its has to be informed opinion backed by knowledge and experience. not random shooting off the mouth.
  • SEEMS to be masala which can be made into a film.Thought of it ?? Asked by: sundar1950in
  • Richa Lakhera why not! of course i did not of films when i was writing Garbage Beat. just had fun and hope you do too!
  • Hi Richa nice title Garbage Beat. Believe its for the super stars. If you were to write one for the small screen stars what title will you choose? Asked by: Paras
  • Richa Lakhera I think everyone we cover are achiverers in their own right. But allow me to add neither I (nor Laila) thinks its the Garbage Beat. Its a tag which is hurled at her lets face it in news ecosystem where terribly imp things are happening entertainment is not accepted as a serious beat or mainline journalism. its not to do with big and small stars.
  • Is this about You, as a journalist ?? Asked by: sundar1950in
  • Richa Lakhera fiction is based on reality, and as an entertainment reporter you come across superstars,heroines,celebrities on a daily basis- so yes there is a lot of scandal, controversies, tamasha,thrills, outrageous behaviour which we see which is sometimes not reported. as for me i am very happy in my skin as a tv ent reporter - it allows me to be irreverant, its liberal, tolerant - of course with this comes responsibility, we cant be shooting of the mouth on random things.
  • As a journalist you REPORT.As a writer you THINK. Which one of this keeps you more involved ?? Asked by: sundar1950in
  • Richa Lakhera think. think. think. even while i report report report!
  • Will your next one get you out of MUMBAI /Bollywoods and make you present the other side of INDIA which has Agricultural fields,Livestocks,Rivers,Hills,muddy houses,rickety bus travels,hospitable people and fresh air ?? Asked by: sundar1950in
  • Richa Lakhera Sorry But my next book is 'Item Girl'. but why do you think bollywood has nothing to do with rivers and rickety buses and fields and hospitable people? just see a yashraj film, its all there. besides i think its a fantastic place and people - about stars who give hope to millions in this cinema crazy country- i mean they are not called stars because they glitter in the dark!
  • What is the price of the Novel and who is the Publisher ?? Asked by: sundar1950in
  • Richa Lakhera Garbage Beat is very affordable at Rs 299 and publisher is Harper Collins. Its a scandalous book set in the backdrop of bollywood stars celebrities and entertainment reportage !
  • How long did it take for you to write this novel and did you face any writer's block? Asked by: Writer
  • Richa Lakhera wrote this one pretty fast. and had real fun writing it. my second 'item girl' took more time. writer's block.. naa just sleep over it besides i am having a whale on a time in the world of words
  • Hi Richa, First of all congratulations on your Debut Book. The question I have is how did you choose the name Laila? Its a very catchy name and a contrast to the title Garbage Beat! Asked by: Chandra
  • Richa Lakhera thank you. laila..hmmm ok as you said its catchy and filmy! and garbage beat is also about filmstars in a way
  • how long did it take you to write this novel? Asked by: Writer
  • Richa Lakhera i am a fast writer so yes took like eight months
  • U from.? Asked by: Bawanebaba,Ambajogai...
  • Richa Lakhera born in dehradun but been in delhi for long now
  • Why is the reporting duty called as BEAT - is to to beat the competitor,beat the time or beat the line of reporting ?? Asked by: sundar1950in
  • Richa Lakhera beats me! no actually nice qn i think its to do with that we are always trying to beat the deadlines, the clock is always ticking!
  • Hello mam.. Asked by: Ritesh Deo
  • Richa Lakhera hello ritesh ! so you have any questions, feel free to ask

Hosted by

Richa Lakhera
Writer and journalist

More chats with:

Richa Lakhera
Writer and journalist

On her debut novel 'Garbage Beat'