4 pm Feb 19, 2013
On the AgustaWestland chopper deal scam
Sanjay Suri is in Italy, tracking the developments there in this case. Chat with him to know about the latest revelations.
16 questions answered | No question pending
- why we need such expensive choppers which were rejected by US for costs and above all why don't we have legal system of middlemen similar to lobbying in US Asked by: Prithviraj Chavan
- You say the people are rising against the corruption. But what is the end-result? Scams are happening. Asked by: Shyam Vadalker
- Don't you think that the common citizen of India has become immune to scams considering the number of scams which have come to the light in UPA2 regime? Asked by: Shyam Vadalker
- Is it worth and wise of scrapping each and every scam tented deal and blacklist the company Asked by: Prithviraj Chavan
- DO you think AgustaWestland deal is just a tip of the iceberg? Are there many such scams yet to be unearthed in defence procurements ? Asked by: Venkatesh
- Will this scam affect the future defence deals of India ? Asked by: Venkatesh
- I have observed that the Gandhi family gets away with anything...scams, riots, malgovernance..What do u say? Asked by: Neela, Leeds
- Can you explain us briefly, how this scam come out? and the proceedings right now Asked by: Venkatesh
- Sanjay Suri A former employee of Finmeccanica told the police about the corruption and the bribes. That led to searches and the seizure of many documents. Suspect middlemen's conversations were recorded, in which they admitted to the bribing. Following the gathering of this evidence, Finmeccanica chief Orsi was arrested. An Italian investigation report speaks of money paid to Indian parties. That is what has to be investigated further.
- Is such kind of scam possible without any envolvement of defence ministry? Asked by: Sandeep
- Is NDA govt guilty for this chopper scam? Asked by: avishek
- Why CBI is stil not enquiring indian politicians\officials involved in the deal? Asked by: Venkatesh
- Do you think UPA 2 has the record number of big scams in its almost 10 years of tenure ? Asked by: Patil
- How is this scam going to affect the political relationship between two nations? Asked by: deepak krishnamurthy
- Sanjay Suri Not likely to affect political relations between the two countries unless Berusconi comes back as PM. He, the former PM, has said that this is the way to do business with countries such as India. Sadly that is probably true. But that kind of remark is not likely to help smooth diplomatic relations.
- How does the condition seem there in Italy? In india, people are used to these kind of scams and there shall be some negotiation going to happen with law just like other scams to reduce the punishment. What shall be the punishment in countries like Italy if proven with evidence? Asked by: deepak krishnamurthy
- Sanjay Suri If India and Italy share one thing, it is an abundance of scams. But Italy is more concerned these days with the Pope succession, and with elections due on the weekend. The sentence will depend on the extent of guilt and culpability found, but a guilty verdict could lead to several years in jail, not just for one but for all found guilty.
- Has this deal got anything to do with Mr.David Cameroon's visit to India? Asked by: deepak krishnamurthy
- Do you think there is more to the eye than what is visible? Considering the money involved it cannot be only middle men but important politicians. Do you agree that sending the CBI team to Italy without regsitering any FIR and they going there just with their ID cards reveal anything? Asked by: AKS
- Sanjay Suri In such cases, and in this case there is certainly more than what is immediately visible. But it is necessary for the CBI team to be there to show prosecutors that there is an independent entity with authority in India that is interested, because India stands at the other side of this corrupt dealing.It is necessary for the CBI team to register presence and to begin a process of communication, even if that does not result in instant and dramatic conclusions.
Hosted bySanjay Suri
London Correspondent, CNN-IBN
More chats with:Sanjay Suri
London Correspondent, CNN-IBN