National Executive member, BJP
National Executive member, BJP
Oct 09, 2012 | Closed
Will Narendra Modi's strategy of targeting the Gandhis, and Sonia in particular, pay off in the end?
Join BJP's National Executive Member Sheshadri Chari for a webchat.
- Many Indians still somehow believe that,they are yet to see the best of Rahul Gandhi. Give so, is Rahul wasting his chance to face Modi in the pcoming elections ? Why is he shying away from this challenge ? Asked by: Inderjit
- I think the UP elections and the Parliament sessions have provided enough opportunities to Mr.Rahul Gandhi to show his leadership qualities. Somehow, he has not been able to make a mark. May be he will eventually be able to come up to the expectations of the people through hard work and sincere efforts and not just go by the advise of sycophants.
- I personally think Shri.Modi's campaign is in good shape as he wants to convey a national message using Gujarat elections as a tool but since we are seeing many fishy things on Gandhi family, does Shri.Modi's campaign reach to national audience as media is full of fishy Gandhi family news ? Asked by: aditya.yanamand
- The Gujarat and HP election results will send the right message to the people that the nation wants to get rid of the UPA and usher in a change in the form of NDA led by the BJP for peace and development oriented governance.
- Will BJP be successful in capture people's increasing anger towards congress and convert it into votes? Which states should it focus more? Asked by: Mahesh
- After Gujarat and HP elections the BJP will concentrate on the poll strategy. The party will focus on all the LS seats.
- Dear Mr. Chari, Honor to be able to chat with you sir. Does NaMo need to target the Gandhis. He can win hands down just with his record of development and what he has done for Gujarat. Shouldn't he canvass on a more positive note and give people (which they anyway have) or more development Asked by: Narayan
- Modi is canvassing on positive points only. He is not targeting any one. But if irresponsible charges are levelled against him he has to answer them. I think he has maintained the best decorum even while rebutting charges against him.
- Why is theongress charry if the first family is rightly targetted? The public has now become wiose and a monarchy like situation is tramsforming into democracy where the Queen is also open to scrutiny. Should the Congress not worry if the Queen has done no wrong? Asked by: Anonymous
- The Congress party will disintegrate if it does not have an iconic image at the helm. This has been its political history. But it is high time the party tries to adopt to changing situation.
- There needs to be a consensus built on retiring politicians beyond a certain age. This will save our nation from likes of MMS who can not even speak. God only knows whether he can write. Asked by: Arvind
- Age should not be held against anyone in politics. We could probably remodel our political system to maintain a good balance among our political leadership.
- In your opinion why BJP has failed so far in UP? Is it because both the main parties of UP i.e. SP and BSP are indulged in caste politics? If that is the case rather than playing similar caste game what BJP can do in UP? Asked by: Anand
- This could be one of the factors. But the projection of Akhilesh Yadav as a leader and the failure of the Congress and the BJP to effectively counter such a projection could also be analysed.
- NarendraModi is Questioning Sonia and not targeting. Media couldnt do all the years? Using the word Strategy/Tageting is wrong choice of words.Congress targets Modi than BJP?Your thoughts on this Sir? Asked by: Kiran_KK
- You have a point. A section of the media too has been reluctant at times in questioning the top leadership of the Congress party probably fearing unfavourable reactions.
- What is your opinion about Caste based quota? Do BJP and RSS have any plan to dilute the caste based quota in this country and hence caste based politics? Asked by: Anand
- Caste based quota has a long history. But the ill effects of such a quota system should be rectified, in the best interest of those very people in whose name such anomalies are being perpetrated.
- Don't you think Modi should apologies for Gujarat Riots? Asked by: Kapil Sharma
- No I don't think so. He is not responsible for the riots. He did his best to bring the situation under control.
- I agree with you that this PM is definitely suspect other wise he will not be clinging to the post and be a subject of multiple jokes. Why can's BJP conduct investigations on his role. Asked by: Arvind
- The BJP can not investigate beyond a point. It is for the investigating agencies and the Courts to take these charges to their logical conclusions.
- Why did HP Govt give a plot of land to Priyanka defying the rules as per which non domiciles are not eligible. Asked by: Arvind
- I think the issue has to be investigated further. If any rule has been infringed upon, necessary correction must be done.
- In a reply to the question on electoral system you have just said that "..people have to be vigilant and make effective changes from time to time." Who are the people you are referring? Is it not the job of our MPs? Asked by: Anand
- MPs are the result of the system. If we are not happy with the result, we have to repair the system and also improve the standard of the people whom we wish to elect.
- Q1. If elected to power in center , what would be the economic policy for the country from BJP ? What would they do specifically for the economic climate to improve for India so that we can go back to 10% + growth rate ? Asked by: Edgar Felix , Dubai
- The BJP's Economic Cell and the party in general are working on this. I think as a nation we need to strengthen production oriented economy and encourage indigenous industry.
- UP is critical for the success of BJP in the General elections. How will BJP perform improve in UP. ? IT does not have any good leaders there.. Asked by: Edgar Felix , Dubai
- The party is concentrating and improving the organisational work in UP. We do have good local leaders in UP.
- In your opinion which one is worst enemy of the country - Caste based quota/poliics or Corruption and how BJP could tackle this problem? Asked by: Anand
- I think both are equally bad. People will have to be educated and more non-political opinion has to be generated.
- What is your opinion about our electoral system? Considering the fact that community is divided (becasue of political incentives) based on caste, mere 25 to 30% of votes are enough to form the government. As an example we can see the outcome of recent UP election. Is this good for the country? Asked by: Anand
- Our electoral system and representation process needs a review. No system is perfect. But people have to be vigilant and make effective changes from time to time.
- Not a question.. But My opinion ... It will work, with the prevailing mood of the nation .. with last left Icon of congress (Manmohan) also blotted with coal-gate ... they are living in fools paradise that these things do not matter in election in spite of many lessons to many corrupt leaders. With taint reaching Ghandhi family via Vadra.. modi will succeed in his attempt - Asked by: Srini
- The general impression is that the the UPA 2 is mired in corruption. The Gandhi family and even the PM is suspect. It is very unfortunate situation and only an election sooner, rather than later, can change the situation and kick-start development.
- Gujarat is backward in many ways. It is below average in literacy, education and one of the topper in malnutrition. CAG has indicted Modi govt three times. 20 policemen under Modi’s watch are in jail. Murderer ministers like Kodnani are in jail. Gujarat has the highest white collar crime in India (reported in TOI). The state is having a debt burden of Rs one lakh plus crores which has grown from Rs 45,301 crores in 2001-02. This is the worst record of any govt in India. Under Congress, Gujarat grew much faster at 14%. Modi knows all this. Is that why he hires international PR agencies to cover up his failures? Is that why he resorts to cheap personal attacks against Sonia? Asked by: Vaishnav
- These are mere allegations and half truths. If there are some loose ends in development I am sure the party and the Gujarat government will do the needful.
- In the western world, right wing parties are called conservatives. Why in India they are referred to as communal?. Is it because the liberals feel there is nothing to conserve from our past?. I suggest the BJP counter its opponents with this question. Asked by: Ganesh
- These words have lost their meanings. There is no "right wing" or "conservatives" in Indian politics just as no "communal" party. Such words are floated during elections and forgotten soon after the elections.
- Don't you think that Congress has become a Goonda Party. Soniaji is appealing to every fools in the Congress Party to defend Vadra. Asked by: G. Ramadas
- There are good people in the Congress also. I think the party is under pressure to defend Mr.Vadra.
- What kind of role BJP can play in nation building? So far it appears that BJP has completely failed to bring positive changes in electoral politics of the country. And that could be the reason behind the success story of IAC. Should we have any hope with BJP in future? Asked by: Anand
- The BJP IS playing a constructive role now, and has given one of the best governments in the past. The IAC has raised some important issues already in public domain.
- Why do Indian politicians indulge in personal attacks on a regular basis. Personal attacks on each other is a rarity in the west. Asked by: kaushik bhowal
- The BJP does not believe in personal attack as you have mentioned. Elections in the the West have seen worst forms of campaigning.
- Chari ji, Modi is the only able and stable leader the country has right now. Please project him firmly as 2014 BJP PM candidate. He will make wonders in BJPs fortunes. Any internal issues in projecting him as PM? Dhanyavaad. Asked by: Hemant
- As of now the BJP is concentrating only on the state elections.
- Sir I am not a supporter of BJP in general but i have observed an increasing trend of people across India rooting for Narendra modi.Even in small town like samalkot in AP people are singing his peans. With Modi development initiative winning mass appeal what is hampering BJP from declaring Modi as PM candidate Asked by: chinmay
- As mentioned earlier, the party's priority now is to win Gujarat and HP
- Will Modi attacking Sonia personally boomerang on BJP the same way as Mau ka saudagar comment of sonia Asked by: chinmay
- Modi is not mentioning any one by name or personalising the issues. He is only highlighting certain irregularities.
- There is talk of farmer resentment against Modi plus government teachers have threatened BJP.Plus thers is keshubhai factor.Will Modi be able to beat multiple challenges Asked by: chinmay
- I am sure the BJP in Gujarat and Modi are aware of the challenges and tackling the issues very well.
- How many seats seats are you expecting in Gujarat this time.My expectation is BJP might get 130+ Asked by: chinmay
- Many people seem to be expecting such a high number of seats.
- r u confident of MODI' 2/3 victory? Why are you fearing projecting MODI's as PM candidate? I suppose, he will fetch you more seats in parliament. Without, BJP's own strength (close to 200), you cannot rule. Why pressurize by allies? Asked by: priya
- The BJP is very sure of a convincing victory in Gujarat and HP
- Shri Vajpey strictly maintained not targeting individuals. Even in parliament when members criticised Mrs Sonia Gandhi's Italian connection, he asked them to stop it. But rather encouraged criticism of policies. Why is then now an individual is targeted even though she has been accepted by people twice? Asked by: Debashis
- The BJP is not targeting any individual. We are only pointing out certain irregularities.
- Mr. Mani Shankar Iyer is the most frustrated Congressman these days. He is so frustrated that whenever somebody raises any question against the wrong doings of Mrs. Soniaji. This fellow will seize the opportunity to defend so that in at least in the next government he gets a post. This Mani Shankar IYer should go back the Pakistan and live with the people int hat country to know the harassment faced by the poor hindus there. Asked by: G. Ramadas
- Mr Mani Shankar Iyer has a good command over English and has good knowledge of some subjects. We should be able to convince him about our views and make use of him in the best interest of the nation.
- With the model of development Narendra Modi has projected, dont you think he deserves a bigger role, if not a Prime minister at least being the President of BJP Asked by: Prashant
- Narendra Modi is currently engaged with the development of Gujarat. He will accept any responsibility given to him by the party at anytime, just like any other worker of the party.
- Sir why are RSS which itself is confused and some rootless central leaders In BJP so afraid of Modi Asked by: chinmay
- The RSS is not confused and no one is afraid of anyone in the BJP.
- With Modi acquiring a brand image among people of India like Sachin and Amitab has Brand Modi eclipsed popularity of BJP Asked by: chinmay
- No, I don't think so. Modi and other BJP leaders have always held the view that the party is above individuals.
- Is it because Congress has no worthwhile leader in Gujarat that Modi is targeting Sonia and central congress leaders Asked by: chinmay
- It is true that the Congress has no leadership in Gujarat.
- Will BJP take the initiative and project Modi as PM candidate even at risk of losing allies like JDU Asked by: chinmay
- As of now the BJP is not projecting any one as the PM candidate.
- Sir, don't you think that Narendra Modi can win the 2012 assembly elections with thumping majority without targetting the Gandhis, simply on the strength of the development Gujarat has witnessed during his incumbancy in the last decade? Asked by: Shyam Vadalker
- Yes, he can win on the basis of his good work. Anyway, he is not targeting anyone. He is only responding to charges against him.
More chats with:Sheshadri Chari
National Executive member, BJP