ibnlive » Chat

3 pm May 10, 2013

On her new film 'Gippi'

Director Sonam Nair's new film 'Gippi' is a teenage drama, a genre not much explored in Bollywood. The film centers around a 14 year girl who has a crush on the school's hottie played by actor Tahaa Shah. Actress Divya Dutta will be playing Gippi's mother in the film. Karan Johar is all set to launch 13-year-old Delhi girl Riya Vij. 'Gippi' is primarily the story of an overweight 13-year-old girl, who hates the idea of dieting. The film was shot in Delhi with a cast comprising mainly of school children. Director Sonam Nair wrote the story of 'Gippi' from her own teenage experience. Sonam Nair says that the only risk for her film is that it does not have any stars. But at the same time, she maintains that 'Gippi' is about a school girl and the script did not require big names. With only a handful of films made on kids and teenage, will 'Gippi' be able to take the genre to a new level?
This chat is over. Thanks for joining.
33 questions answered | No question pending
  • Best of luck for Gippi.wish this movies does raly well.. Asked by: Gaman
  • Sonam Nair Thank you so much! I hope you're taking everyone you know to see it!
  • HOw was it working wit diya dutta.. Asked by: Gaurav
  • Sonam Nair She's amazingly talented, and really fun on sets too. It was a great pleasure!
  • Best of Luck for Gippi!! I would love to know which are your favourite movies?The movies which really inspired you to become a filmmaker. Asked by: Spandan
  • Sonam Nair I love Hrishikesh Mukherjee's films. Have watched them all over and over again.
  • Any plans for next directorial venture? Cuz v want to see u again directing!! :) Asked by: Aishwarya
  • Sonam Nair How sweet! No real plans yet, just some ideas floating around!
  • WHo is ur idol?? Asked by: Aishwarya
  • Sonam Nair Too many!!
  • Hiii, don't have any question bt jus wnt to congratulate u on d success of gippi!! :) Asked by: Aishwarya
  • Sonam Nair Hahahahaha! Thanks so much!
  • What is ur hobby? Asked by: Aishwarya
  • Sonam Nair Reading. I'm a big bookworm.
  • Who is ur favorite actor of young generation? Asked by: Aishwarya
  • Sonam Nair Ranbir!
  • Gippi 2 will have same cast and crew of gippir/ Asked by: Manan
  • Sonam Nair Arey I'm kidding! There's no Gippi 2 as of now!
  • Will you try your hands in other type of movies..romantic..action.. Asked by: Giri
  • Sonam Nair Maybe. I don't want to stick to a genre. I'll make whatever inspires me.
  • Why you chose to make film on teenages.. Asked by: Karauna
  • Sonam Nair It's the most important time of our lives- when we become who we will be for the rest of our lives. So I thought it would be an interesting space to explore.
  • What is the theme of the movie..is it about teenagers.. Asked by: Rohit
  • Sonam Nair It's about how people sometimes feel insecure and want to be perfect, but actually, we should love ourselves and be ourselves, because that's better than perfect!
  • Gove me onw reason to watch gippi.. Asked by: Tez
  • Sonam Nair You will come out with the biggest smile on your face after it's over.
  • Is thia movie about teenage love.. Asked by: Rahul
  • Sonam Nair It's about a lot of things, love being just one of them. It shows every aspect of life as a teenager.
  • How confidant you are while releasing it with Go Goa Gone and IPL.. Asked by: Janam
  • Sonam Nair I have made the film for love, not for money.
  • How you came into direction..was this your childhood dream to be associated with movies.. Asked by: abhi
  • Sonam Nair Yes, I'm obsessed with films! I always wanted to be a part of them, in any way possible!
  • Before release gippi was being compared to guddi..is the movie on the sameline as guddi.. Asked by: Aman
  • Sonam Nair Not really plot wise, but in feel and emotions, maybe.
  • Is Gippi your childhood story.. Asked by: Yudhir
  • Sonam Nair Yes, a lot of it is inspired from my life. But whoever sees it says it looks like THEIR life story!
  • Your all time favourite movie is? Asked by: Daman
  • Sonam Nair Mr India!
  • After Gippi, what? Asked by: mohan
  • Sonam Nair Gippi 2?
  • Hello ma'am,i saw the trailer of movie and am sure like trailer movie will also be a nice and good experience.As we know,movies are mirror of society ,they show what exists among us,but ma'am do not you think there should be some amount of restrain while showing things in movie i mean free use of slang or some dialog which i saw in trailer of "Gippi",i am not saying that there should not be any adult content but what am asking is some sort of restrain, as we all know excess of anything is bad. Asked by: Jst Ashish
  • Sonam Nair Yes, some restraint is required and I have restrained myself and only shown things in an innocent light.
  • Has your brother Siddhanth have any influence on the film ? Asked by: Shivam
  • Sonam Nair Yes! The character of Gippi's brother- Booboo- is slightly inspired by my brother. He's one of the funniest characters in the movie.
  • Is Gippi your debut film as a director.. Asked by: Rakesh
  • Sonam Nair Yes. And I'm very proud of it!
  • What is more important for you box office success or national award.. Asked by: Diya
  • Sonam Nair BOTH!!
  • Is this movie only for teenages.. Asked by: Rakka
  • Sonam Nair Not at ALL! In fact, people who are older will have even more fun because they'll get to relive their best years!
  • Do you listen to the critics review.. Asked by: Chirag
  • Sonam Nair Yeah I've been reading the reviews for Gippi and am happy that they are all so positive. But in the end, it's the audience review that matters.
  • Who is the most promising actor among the curret lot.. Asked by: Kiran
  • Sonam Nair Ranbir is my absolute favourite! But I also love Arjun Kapoor, Varun Dhawan and Sidharth Malhotra.
  • How was it working with Karan in dharma prod.. Asked by: mayank
  • Sonam Nair It was a dream come true! Karan is the best and bravest producer out there, and I can never thank him enough for believing in me and my film!
  • Do you belive in the awards which are help in bolywod..there are some 15-20 award fucntion ever year.. Asked by: Dillu
  • Sonam Nair I think awards are great fun! We all work so hard, so it's nice when someone appreciates it. But it's best to smile about them and not take them all too seriously.
  • How you found the lead actress of the movie..Riya.. Asked by: Gayab
  • Sonam Nair We went to several schools in Mumbai and Delhi and after seeing 30,000 kids, found Riya in Delhi. She's the perfect Gippi!
  • Who is your all time favorite actor.. Asked by: Jiva
  • Sonam Nair Shammi Kapoor! You'll see when you watch Gippi!
  • How much role nowadys publicity and promotion of a movie had to play for its susccess.. Asked by: Rajiv
  • Sonam Nair It does play a role in letting people know that the film is coming out and what it's all about. But after that, I think the film itself only decides what it's fate will be.
  • Why you trid to explore this type of movies..movies on teenage are hardly made in bollywood.. Asked by: Kabirr
  • Sonam Nair I think teen years are the best years of our lives, and also the most important ones. And yet, we hardly make movies about them. So I thought, I should!

Hosted by

Sonam Nair
Director

More chats with:

Sonam Nair
Director

On her new film 'Gippi'