ibnlive » Chat

4 pm Jan 09, 2013

On their new book 'Doing what is right: The CRISIL Story'

This book tells the unique story of an intrepid company that made it big against all odds, relying on nothing other than its intellectual capital and the power of its vision. Founded in the regulated and stagnant Indian economy of the late 1980s, offering a credit rating service that had no takers, and without any real assets or capital, CRISIL seemed destined to fail. Instead, it became one of India's most respected companies, redefining its vision from being India-focused to playing a quiet but critical role in global markets. This is a story of razor-sharp analytics, unshakeable values and sheer grit. It is also a story of leaders with very different styles, who brought it all together over a quarter of a century. A narrative that, above all, shows that doing well can go hand in hand with doing what is right.
This chat is over. Thanks for joining.
22 questions answered | No question pending
  • Hi, Do we have a facebook page for the book ? Asked by: Sana
  • Sumit Chowdhury and Hemanth Gorur Yes Sana, find the Facebook page of the book here https://www.facebook.com/CRISILStory We, as authors, are also present on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Life.Chronicles
  • I would like to know more about CRISIL as an organisation. Where can i read about it ( obviously apart the book:)) Asked by: PJ
  • Sumit Chowdhury and Hemanth Gorur PJ, You can read more about CRISIL at the corporate website and the Facebook page of the book. Website: www.crisil.com Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CRISILStory
  • Hi Sir, i am currently pursuing journalism and have hidden hopes of being a writer someday ...any tips you would like to share? :) Asked by: Eddie baazo
  • Sumit Chowdhury and Hemanth Gorur Hi Eddie, We'd suggest for you to be thorough in your research and accumulate as much ground level intelligence and anecdotes as possible. And triangulate the same across various independent sources. All the best!
  • Please let me know the most memorable moment of your expereince Asked by: Ram
  • Sumit Chowdhury and Hemanth Gorur Ram, It was when CRISIL Sr. Management came back after reading our manuscript and commented that this was an engrossing and realistic portrayal of the company across its 25 years.
  • Corporate books generally tend to be full of high praise for the company. How did you try to keep this book balanced and objective? Asked by: Kavya Shah
  • Sumit Chowdhury and Hemanth Gorur Kavya, We tried to be as neutral in our approach as possible. We consciously dug out anecdotes that painted a 360 degree view of CRISIL, as it stood.
  • Hi. which has been the most interesting chapter from the book? Asked by: haneet
  • Sumit Chowdhury and Hemanth Gorur Haneet, The Nascent Years is clearly the most interesting.
  • How long did it take to write the book? Asked by: Taylor
  • Sumit Chowdhury and Hemanth Gorur Hi Taylor, It took us more than an year but highly satisfying at the end of it.
  • Which other books in Indian context you think of having similar context? history of company, written by outsiders, may be financial world Asked by: Vinay
  • Sumit Chowdhury and Hemanth Gorur A Bank for the Buck - a story of HDFC is one that comes to our mind.
  • Hi Sumit! Very excited for you and your initiative! What inspired you to take up such a venture and what are the guidelines for you when choosing a subject for your biographies? Once again, congrats on the success of The Crisil Story. Asked by: Sucheta
  • Sumit Chowdhury and Hemanth Gorur Thanks!We enjoy telling stories of individuals and organizations. A personal situation prompted me to start something that would give shape to this.
  • What was the most difficult and easy part of the book to write? Asked by: Priyanka Kulkarni
  • Sumit Chowdhury and Hemanth Gorur Writing about the initial years was challenging. Recent years were easier to articulate.
  • Who are your favourite authors? Asked by: Isha
  • Sumit Chowdhury and Hemanth Gorur Hi Isha, Walter Isaacson, Robert Kanigel, Rod McQueen, Irving Stone are some names that come to mind.
  • What actually inspired you for this book? Asked by: Tiger
  • Sumit Chowdhury and Hemanth Gorur CRISIL pioneered the credit ratings industry in India. The CRISIL Story was also waiting to be told because of the mountainous odds it overcame throughout its journey, especially the first 10 years.
  • what all new work are you doing after the crisil book, Do you plan to do more corporate stories? Asked by: Irfan
  • Sumit Chowdhury and Hemanth Gorur We plan to do more such corporate biographies. There is a definite interest in the market for such corporate stories.
  • What aspect of Crisil impressed u the most ? Asked by: Mahesh
  • Sumit Chowdhury and Hemanth Gorur The risk-taking ability of the company and the independence in thought as well as action. Most importantly, doing what is right irrespective of the constraints.
  • hello, i must say the book is quite a light read! congrats wanted to check what was the most challenging part of researching or writing the book? Asked by: jaipal
  • Sumit Chowdhury and Hemanth Gorur Conveying the CRISIL Story with all its intricacies by maintaining the factual accuracy while making the story gripping by weaving in anecdotes that brought out the CRISIL DNA.
  • What is the price of the book? Asked by: RK
  • Sumit Chowdhury and Hemanth Gorur The MRP is Rs. 295. The book is available across leading retail chains, It is also available on these e-commerce sites. Please check out the discounted prices at the respective sites. Flipkart I Amazon I Crossword I Infibeam I Book Adda I Sapnaonline
  • Hi, is this your first book? Asked by: hetalk
  • Sumit Chowdhury and Hemanth Gorur This is our first corporate biography book although we have written several other personal biography books.
  • Hey guys, I have read Doing what is right: The CRISIL Story, it is an excellent read. I must congratulate you on this. Asked by: Madhuri
  • Sumit Chowdhury and Hemanth Gorur Thanks Madhuri, we are glad you enjoyed it.
  • Where can I buy the Doing what is right: The CRISIL Story? Asked by: Michelle J
  • Sumit Chowdhury and Hemanth Gorur The book is available across leading retail chains, It is also available on these e-commerce sites. Flipkart I Amazon I Crossword I Infibeam I Book Adda I Sapnaonline
  • why did you write this book? Asked by: anand
  • Sumit Chowdhury and Hemanth Gorur The CRISIL Story was waiting to be told because of the mountainous odds it overcame throughout its journey, especially the first 10 years. CRISIL Sr. Management also felt that a biography book was a powerful vehicle to disseminate this story.
  • Do any writers inspire you? Asked by: Madhu
  • Sumit Chowdhury and Hemanth Gorur Walter Isaacson and Rod McQueen are two writers that appeal to us.
  • What is your favourite section of the book? Asked by: Priyam Sharma
  • Sumit Chowdhury and Hemanth Gorur Hi Priyam, There are quite a few coming to our minds. One section definitely is where Pradip Shah and GSRK Rao make a presentation to the budding managers at IIMC and GSRK Rao talks about 4 cups of tea as salary. The chapter on Nascent Years is also very absorbing.