ibnlive » Chat

4 pm Jun 28, 2012

Spirit of enterprise in Dharavi

Chat with Author Rashmi Bansal on her book 'Poor Little Rich Slum' at 4 pm this thursday.
26 questions answered
  • good to know about your new book mam . need to know what is the message that this book is carrying on. Asked by: Ananda Aradhya
  • Rashmi Bansal The message is twofold: 1) even when circumstances are difficult people with grit & determination can rise above them and 2) as a society we must find a way to provide basic amenities for all our citizens, whether in rural or urban India. Dharavi is a terrific inspiration but its people deserve better!
  • Hello, You have taken all stories with happy ending. That is very important to motivate others but like me a young entrepreneur of 26 year also wants to know about mistakes which made a successful businessman to down in growth. Asked by: Nishant Dubey
  • Rashmi Bansal Life is a journey, there is no 'ending' as such. You may stumble and fall along the way but the point is, an entrepreneur treats even failure as a lesson and picks himself or herself up again. Read a book called 'Success through a positive mental attitude' by Napoleon Hill and you will understand why I do not dwell on failure!
  • What is the use of making big money and living in a pathetic condition. Asked by: Nagarajan
  • Rashmi Bansal We are not advocating that the condition of Dharavi should remain pathetic - it must improve! It requires some out of the box thinking and political will to do so. As to why some people choose to remain in Dharavi even after they earn big money - the answer is a feeling that 'I belong here' and 'These are my people'. Emotions rule stronger than logic!
  • actually wat is the porpose of writing this book..? Asked by: GauravShelke
  • Rashmi Bansal India is divided into two kinds of people -'People like Us' and 'People like Them'. Meaning those of us who live comfortably scarcely spare a thought for those around us living in slums. I myself had never actually visited a slum before taking up this project. When we actually spent 9 months researching the book, researching Dharavi again and again, we were amazed by how enterprising and how resilient the people are. They are the invisible hands which hold up our economy and we hope they can be role models for people everywhere.
  • Dharavi is known to be the largest slum in Asia. Do you genuinely feel that there are ample opportunities for them to exhibit their enteprising nature or is it a fact that alchoalism and resorting to extortion stopping them from going up the ladder , can you name anybody from Dharavi who have made it big in life Asked by: T R Aravind
  • Rashmi Bansal Technically, Dharavi is no longer Asia's largest slum :) Apparently that distinction goes to Karachi's Orangi township (and I'm sure we don't mind Pakistan wresting that crown from us:). We would not say that Dharavi offers 'ample opportunities'. In fact, people there face many hardships starting from lack of toilets to lack of quality education. However through enterprise, hard work and determination they have risen above these problems and set up all kinds of businesses. The story of Mustaqeembhai, who exports garments to the US from his factories in Dharavi is one example from the book of a person who has made it big in life!
  • When are you coming to Delhi-NCR for the book launch? Asked by: Vishal M
  • Rashmi Bansal On 27th & 28th of July - I will confirm venue details. You can follow me on FB & twitter to stay updated
  • Rich get Richer, Poor get poorer- it is an appropriate quote for India.. when this situation is going to change?? Asked by: Rajesh
  • Rashmi Bansal We feel it is changing but the gap between rich and poor continues to widen. That is the case even in advanced economies like the US. The only difference is that US citizens have basic amenities and social security. So rich getting richer is ok even in India but we must ensure every citizen gets basics like food, shelter, medical services. We can't support rich getting richer at the COST of poor or by siphoning funds meant for poor... You know what I mean!
  • if emotions rules stronger then they don't want to change? Even they earn more money. Asked by: Ananda Aradhya
  • Rashmi Bansal To best of our knowledge those who 'make it big' do move out of the slum and stay in the residential towers in Mahim or Bandra. But they retain Dharavi as their workplace because of ample and cheap labour, and a feeling that they must help those left behind
  • Dear Rashmi, Do you believe a book can change one's life? Asked by: Prabu
  • Rashmi Bansal Yes, a book can change one's life. Actually, just a line from a book can change your life because it changes your thinking. Or gives you purpose. Or a new insight into yourself. It's happened to me :)
  • All of your books are good, Why dont you try motivational audio/video CD Asked by: Dhananjay.K.Koppal
  • Rashmi Bansal Yes I have been thinking about it and there have been some preliminary discussions. God willing - this too will happen!
  • all of your previous books were kind of biographies more or less. Is this one any different?? Asked by: Shubham
  • Rashmi Bansal Yes - this book is more about 'Dharavi' and all aspects of it, but with an emphasis on the human beings who live there. And on a different note, this is the most beautiful-looking of all my books, printed in 4 colour :)
  • How much is difficult to live a life in Dharavi? Asked by: ankur bhadauria
  • Rashmi Bansal To be honest - very difficult. A family of 8-9 lives, sleeps, cooks in one 10 X 10 room and toilet facilities are really really poor. In some areas there is no sunlight, hardly any fresh air, sewage problems, flooding during rains, extreme heat in summer. It is a hard life.
  • Whom to blame for slums: Over Urbanization , Govt. failure or Stale Attitude of people in and around slums ? Do you think Rural development as an remedy? Asked by: Vivek Vishwamitra
  • Rashmi Bansal You cannot stop migration to urban centres, it will keep happening even if rural areas are more developed. Cities like Mumbai need low-income housing. But today the only kind of housing being built is super-luxury apartments. In the absence of any alternative slums come up and the government looks the other way for 40-50 years. Only now, that the land in Dharavi is valuable, they talk of 'redevelopment'. But the fact is focus must be on redeveloping not just land, but the people!
  • Do you think there should be institutions (apart from IIMs, and others) where people can be mentored for their entrepreneurial ideas? I am referring to people who can't go to these institutes or get that type of education? Can Dharavi set an Example for them? Asked by: Vipul Dassani
  • Rashmi Bansal Yes, why not! You don't need to pass an entrance exams in English to become an entrepreneur. In an informal way Dharavi is a kind of learning ground. Many ppl come here, learn a trade and then start one elsewhere but this process could be more formalised.
  • If they don't want to leave their dear slums even if they earn well, how is it going to get any better for their loved ones? Asked by: Pankaj Sharma
  • Rashmi Bansal If you earn even Rs 10,000 a month (which is 'well' by Dharavi standards) can you afford even a one bedroom house on rent in Mumbai? There is no choice!
  • Any tips to aspiring novelists? Asked by: Vigneshwar
  • Rashmi Bansal Write from the heart. Worry about who will publish, later. Be an original - never copy anyone else. But learn as much as you can from other writers and get inspired from everywhere!
  • What next..?? Asked by: Anand
  • Rashmi Bansal A book on women entrepreneurs
  • how do you think one can counter the typical indian conservative family's take on risks involved in being an entrepreneur ? Asked by: Ankur Gupta
  • Rashmi Bansal Believe in yourself - others will eventually come around!
  • How is Dharavi is different from "Poor Little Rich Slum"? Asked by: Shila
  • Rashmi Bansal Read the book to find out!
  • Is this a real story? Any plan to come Gujarat for launching? Asked by: Neel Shah
  • Rashmi Bansal "Poor Little Rich Slum' is non-fiction, it's all real stories. I hope to come to Gujarat in August
  • Ma'am could you please tell me some important responsibilities of a Student for the welfare of our society to become strong???? Asked by: RajeshBSBS
  • Rashmi Bansal As a student your 1st responsibility is towards your studies. Be sincere and make maximum use of the time and resources in your college. After that you can look at doing social service alongside through NSS or other organisations
  • The difference between rich and the poor in India is ever increasing. What should India do on policies to tackle it? Shouldn't India restrict itself to provide basic necessities to all first and then think of other facilities for other classes? Asked by: Avi B. Sharma
  • Rashmi Bansal I have no short answer to such a BIG question :)
  • What would you suggest so as to make them, the Entrepreneurs of Dharavi, able to showcase/offer their products/services to a wider audience. Asked by: Vipul Dassani
  • Rashmi Bansal A body like NASSCOM but which can hold training, help them upgrade their skills and products as well as connect entrepreneurs with buyers.
  • Hi Rashmi : as a famous author and successful entrepreneur do you feel a social responsibility post writing Dharavi. How do you plan to contribute to Dharavi's or similar slums upliftment. Asked by: Aradhya
  • Rashmi Bansal I am first and foremost an author, not a social activist. But whatever I can do in my personal capacity, I will
  • Congratulations on your forth book. Asked by: Ashwin Kumar
  • Can you tell me more about your first hand experience in Dharavi? what all starkling things you found there? Asked by: Pankaj Jain
  • Rashmi Bansal Everything we saw and experienced is in the book!

Hosted by

Rashmi Bansal
Author