ibnlive » Chat

5 pm, Nov 06 Nov 06, 2012

US presidential elections

Chat with US India Political Action Committee (USINPAC) Chairman and Founder Sanjay Puri on the US presidential elections.
13 questions answered
  • Who does USINPAC endorse - Obama or Romney? Asked by: Sapna
  • Sanjay Puri We are a bipartisan organization. We do not endorse a candidate in the Presidential elections.
  • Does teh Indian community vote for teh Republicans or the Democrats. Do they think of the effect of their votes on India, when vote is caste Asked by: Narayan
  • Sanjay Puri Most trends and surveys have shown that Indian Americans tend to lean towards the Democratic party. There are quite a few Indian Americans who do look at the foreign policy perspective of the candidate especially when it comes down to US India relations.
  • Why dont you guys give Romney a chance. We have seen what Obama has done and it was by no means spectacular. Why dont Indian Americans vote for Romney this time. He may surprise a lot of us. Asked by: kaushik bhowal
  • Sanjay Puri There are Indian Americans who are supporting Governor Romney. He has gotten support from the Indian American community but traditionally Indian Americans lean more towards the Democrats.
  • Is it true that Obama will kill the outsourcing business in India? Asked by: Venky
  • Sanjay Puri During every election season this topic comes up. After the election season the companies continue doing what they find most effective for their businesses to do.
  • How much has the Storm Sandy affected the poll results? I read in major newspaper that it has given boost to Obama. Is it true? Asked by: Jeril Nadar
  • Sanjay Puri It did put him in the spotlight as the commander in chief and took away the talk of elections for 3-4 key days before the elections. Governor Romney could not be much on the air during that time and thus it did give President Obama an opportunity to be a commander in chief and thus it did give him that strategic advantage.
  • Who should INDIA be looking at Romney or Obama at White House. What Specific policy benefits both leaders have in their kitty for Indians? Asked by: Sushant Gaurav
  • Sanjay Puri The US India relationship is at the point where no matter who wins there will be no major shift in policy. You might see some nuances in policies especially when it comes to Afghanistan (which can impact India), immigration. President Obama has a date certain for a drawdown of US troops from Afghanistan while a President Romney might have more flexibility. This can have a significant impact on the region especially India, On immigration if reelected President Obama will likely go in for a overhaul that means a comprehensive immigration policy. Gov Romney might however go in for a skills based immigration policy i.e. do it incrementally since the Republican party is overwhelmingly opposed to amnesty for illegal immigrants. That means that H1b quota might be increased or overhauled.
  • I think the kind of situation that USA was in prior to Obama, it was a gargantuan task to get the economy back on track. I dare say Obama has reinstated it back to it's old state, but I do believe the basic steps he's taken are in the right direction. Wouldn't a change in administration in that sense be detrimental anyway you think about it? Asked by: Arun Rahim
  • Sanjay Puri President Obama had a huge challenge that he inherited. It does take time to fix some fundamental issues that involve key reforms i.e. mortgage/wall street etc. In that sense 4 years is a very short period since it takes you a little time to get settled in and in 3 years you have to start campaigning again.
  • Who's is going to support boost in economic trade between uSA and India Asked by: akinchan
  • Sanjay Puri Both Presidents realize that India is a big market and the US has a good trading opportunities in India. It is a big market however it is a very complex market. The push will need to come from the business community on both sides.
  • Who do you predict will win? Why? Asked by: Rajeshwar Rao
  • Sanjay Puri He inherited a very tough situation and he has done positive things. However the debt situation is something that could have been dealt with better and also the focus on the economy could have been more.
  • How would you rate obama's first term? Asked by: Anu
  • Sanjay Puri He inherited a very tough economy, two expensive wars. He has stabilized the economy. He however came in with a huge mandate with a Democratic Senate and Democratic House. He however put all his political capital on Health care which is very important but could have also been focused on the economy/debt.
  • Who do you think is the best bet from an India point of view? Asked by: Ajit Salunkhe
  • Sanjay Puri The US India relationship is now at a trajectory in terms of trade, commerce and cultural exchanges that it will not make a huge difference on who becomes the President. There might be some policy emphasis that could make some differences i.e. the troop drawdown from Afghanistan, immigration and policy towards China.
  • impact on IT services if obama wins? Asked by: Sachin
  • Sanjay Puri Companies buy and provide IT services, Government cannot mandate them. They can make things a bit difficult or easy i.e. immigration policy, tax policy. The H1b visa program needs some overhauling given the cumbersome process it has become. There are I am sure good reasons for that but let us attack the problem and not drag down the entire program which is meant to bring in high skilled workers for a short time to the US. Despite the high unemployment numbers there is still a gap in some key skill areas for workers and if the US is going to be a leader in innovation then those workers are critical.
  • Obama has always been branded as someone green behind the ears when if comes to foreign policy. His handling of Middle-East crisis and relations with Israel did not show much promise. Do you think Obama was too inward looking and ignored foreign relations? Asked by: indiacentric
  • Sanjay Puri Actually in this election his approval by the public on Foreign policy is much higher than his handling of the economy. On foreign policy he has to his credit Osama Bin-Laden. Obviously the Arab Spring has taken the US and most of the major nations around the world by surprise. The Iran and Syrian situation is something that could be a most pressing concern if President Obama is reelected.

Hosted by

Sanjay Puri
Founder Chairman, US India Political Action Committee

More chats with:

Sanjay Puri
Founder Chairman, US India Political Action Committee

US presidential elections

How NRIs & US businesses view Obama's oppostion to outsourcing