ibnlive » Chat

5 pm, Nov 16 Nov 16, 2012

Living It Up: Cancer-diagnosis, treatment, prevention & cure

Dr Sameer Kaul will answer all your questions & queries regarding the diagnosis, treatment, prevention & cure of cancer.
15 questions answered
  • Dear doctor My wife aged 56 years underwent laparoscopic total hysterectomy to remove tumor in uterus and was diagonized as myxoid lieomyosarcoma, has completed 6 chemo theraphy sessions.but we want to know if any residuals are still exists.please advise what tests are needed to reveal the present condition. regards Asked by: balakrishna
  • Dr Sameer Kaul Dear Sir, Your wife needs to undergo either a whole body CT PET scan or the contrast CECT of the whole abdomen to see for local recurrence if any. Also she may require a CT chest for screening her lungs which happen to be most common site for metastasis.
  • Hello Sir. My relative(50 yrs) is diagonised with Oligodendroglioma (Grade 3). He went thro' Radiation and is in the process of completing 6 months of Chemo. Pls do let us know about the available cure for this and survival rate. Asked by: Suresh
  • Dr Sameer Kaul Your relative has had appropriate treatment, and now needs to be on a follow up MRI, 3-6 months after treatment and as advised by consulting neuro oncologist.
  • What are the options available for a patient to self diagnose a possible cancer in first stage? Do you recommend any annual/bi-annual check up? Asked by: Sajal
  • Dr Sameer Kaul Its good that you seem to be a well aware individual and one should be aware of ones body. The annual checkups(screening) are recommended after 50yrs of age for cancer, but if you have some specific problems they can be addressed accordingly by a screening investigations such as sonography, tumor markers, etc. Almost all good hospitals have screening packages for cancer check ( separately for Males and Females).
  • whats the % of people smoking can get cancer? Asked by: raj
  • Dr Sameer Kaul All those who smoke can get cancer and comparison with nonsmoker they are about 10 times more at risk. But these figures vary differently for different organs, with lung and oral cancer being predominant and this risk persists even after cessation of smoking for 5-10 yrs.
  • whats the way to know that someone has oral cancer ? Asked by: raj
  • Dr Sameer Kaul A good clinical examination and a biopsy of the suspicious lesion is all one needs to detect a oral cancer.
  • What are the risk associated with cancer for an IT professional? How can they be avoided? Asked by: Jeril Nadar
  • Dr Sameer Kaul There is no particular cancer associated with profession of IT. The only issue remains is a sedentary lifestyle with limited activity, this may lead to heart problems, high cholesterol, etc.
  • My mother (65), diabetic, is diagnosed with adv breast cancer stage iv, with liver metastates..chemo is ruled out....she is on letrozole. Pls advice... Asked by: Harinandan
  • Dr Sameer Kaul Actually chemotherapy is the only remedy for this stage, although it is only palliative. One needs to see the tumor characteristics and biology to predict its response to chemo. Whether your mother is a fit patient for undergoing chemotherapy or not can be decided only after clinical examination and if she doesnt have jaundice. We have patients still living a good lifestyle for last 5 yrs after being detected with this stage of breast cancer.
  • what are the symptoms of a developing lever cancer? Asked by: Anil
  • Dr Sameer Kaul Nothing actually in an early stage, a screening sonography is a cheap and easy and safe method to do that. In advanced stage, jaundice, anorexia, dyspepsia are some of the symptoms.
  • Can Cancer be prevented? Is there any study anywhere in the world proving conclusively that cancer can be prevented. Please cite the source and the sponsor of the study. Thanks. Asked by: Anand Kumar
  • Dr Sameer Kaul Primary prevention (i.e not coming in touch with known carcinogen) is not known to be proven scientifically. However secondary prevention( i.e early detection) has proved to result in significantly better survival rates in almost all cancer including breast.
  • In India, the biggest problem for Cancer Patients is finance. Shouldn't Insurance companies cover cancer to reduce Patient burden? Asked by: Ketan
  • Dr Sameer Kaul In a normal population, insurance covers cancer treatment However, once detected none of the insurance companies come forward to insure a patient of cancer because it is not a viable business proposition. This should change albeit with higher premiums.
  • What are the dangers for IT professional related to cancer? What precautions should be taken? Asked by: Jeril Nadar
  • Dr Sameer Kaul There is no specific precautions for IT professional,as I have already stated that they are not at any particular risk for developing a cancer. The routine precautions which are advocated for the general population are all that are recommended.
  • dont you think we lack in the R&D activities. Means we are always waiting for a foreign brand to invent any drug which we can use as a generic drug here. when it comes to cancer or other severe diseases, no one considers: hospitals are running medical tourism which is unaffordable; insurance never helps. Why cant we work on R&D activities so that cheap drugs can be provided to the people who suffers from it. Asked by: pc
  • Dr Sameer Kaul YES of course we lack in R&D activities. We need to work in all levels including the R&D. R&D returns are not coming in a short term planning, so no body wants to invest it.
  • What should a healthy person do to stay away from cancer ? Asked by: Videsh
  • Dr Sameer Kaul Routine screening is the only way to prevent a cancer in present times.
  • Doctor,most of the people whom I know have some or the other cancer(colon,blood,breast,lung etc.). None of them smokes or drinks..What is the reason then? Asked by: Maya Jagannathan, Newzealand
  • Dr Sameer Kaul Not all smokers and drinkers get cancer and not all cancer patient are smoker or drinker. Its only that one who smokes or drinks a lot is more predisposed to cancer as compared to his counterpart who doesn't. Different cancers have different risk factors and all cancers are multifactorial. So it is not practical to prevent a cancer, the only prevention is early detection.
  • most of the hospitals are running medical tourism. I have seen in my fathers case. I am young. There can be two solutions: either cheap drugs or subsidized treatment of such stage 4 level diseases. Has the Medical council thought for the same? Have they taken any initiations regarding the same. What about making the infrastructure of Govt hospitals excellent? I can understand the demand and supply due to population issue. But has any steps been taken for the people suffering from the stage 4 level disease. Asked by: pc
  • Dr Sameer Kaul Nothing particularly for stage IV cancer disease but yes of course we need to address the issue of getting anticancer drugs cheaper by maybe waving off the taxes,etc by the government. It doesn't come under the realm of Medical council of INDIA.

Hosted by

Dr Sameer Kaul
Cancer surgeon, Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals

More chats with:

Dr Sameer Kaul
Cancer surgeon, Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals

Living It Up: Cancer-diagnosis, treatment, prevention & cure