ibnlive » Chat

7 pm, Nov 30 Nov 30, 2012

On important news developments of the week

Rajdeep Sardesai gives you the right perspective on what all made news throughout this week.
38 questions answered
  • What was the reason for less media coverage for AAP party launch?? Asked by: Nonish
  • Rajdeep Sardesai On the day of the Aap political launch, we had a 40 minute debate on its future on our flagship India at 9 show. How can that be called 'less' media coverage? how many parties which have not contested an election, never won a seat, have so much attention focussed on it? Its time Aap focussed on building its organisation instead of looking for media conspiracies. Arvind and his group have got more media coverage than even mainstream political parties. And may I add that in a 24 hour news wheel, there are other stories too!
  • Guj Congress has nominated Sanjiv Bhatt's wife against Modi. What is Con trying to gain out of this? Asked by: EMathew
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I think the move smacks of Cong desperation. Frankly, the party doesnt have the leadership in Gujarat to really take on Modi. Bhatt's wife is a novice and unlikely to make a dent on Modi's election.
  • IBN has nominated candidates for Indian Of The Year. Your take for sports category Saina, Pankaj Advani, Sushil, Vijay Kumar, Vishwnathan Anand or KOHLI ? Asked by: Vikas Rawat
  • Rajdeep Sardesai Sports is a tough category in Indian of the year 2012: a year where he had Olympic medalists and world champions. I'd rather leave it to the jury this year
  • Was it a good move by the Maharastra govt to publish the white paper on Ajit Pawar? Asked by: EMathew
  • Rajdeep Sardesai The white paper to me appears more like a whitewash. The govt of the day is playing judge in its own case. Will anyone believe a white paper brought out by a state govt when it involves a state dept?
  • What is your take on 66A as of now? Asked by: Anuya
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I believe 66 A needs drastic rewriting. Its framed in a manner to allow arbitary intepretation of the law. What is 'grossly offensive' and 'menacing' is highly subjective.
  • Would you support/accept if govt. mooted a "Leveson inquiry" type inquiry in India? Asked by: Pavan
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I believe we need a Leveson like inquiry into the media in India and a media regulator like Ofcom too.
  • What do you think will be the effect of Yedyurappa's exit in Karnataka? Asked by: Vyom
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I believe Yeddyurappa's exit will damage the BJP in Karnataka. The elections next year could well see a hung assembly with those two old 'foxes' Yeddyurappa and Deve Gowda holding the key.
  • As a journalist How difficult it is to coup up with the conflict of personal view against popular view? Asked by: Aditya Pandey
  • Rajdeep Sardesai A journalist isnt here to win a popularity contest. The challenge is to be honest to yourself by reflecting a view which is based on reality, not one based on what will be seen as 'popular'.
  • We wish to witness a national debate of sting operations like Zee News and Jindal's. As the truth between media and corporate world.... Asked by: KB
  • Rajdeep Sardesai Think we had a fantastic debate on Tuesday on India at 9 on the Zee episode with the likes of Shekhar Gupta, Vinod Mehta, Justice Katju and N Ram joining the debate on media ethics. Why single out Zee? there is a larger problem of misconduct and corruption in the media industry that we need to grapple with.
  • What are the chances of Narendra Modi according to you? Asked by: Abhijeet Garg
  • Rajdeep Sardesai The big question in Gujarat is: will Narendra Modi get around 100 seats in Gujarat this time, or will he cross 125? The key lies in saurashtra. If he wins well there, he could cross 125.
  • Why don't u guys do more crime shows? Like ok A hindi GEC crime shows which is quite good? why can't u guys Asked by: Abhijeet
  • Rajdeep Sardesai Doing quality crime shows requires time and investment; GECs have deep pockets, we dont. and we dont want to do the masala crime shows that some channels come up with.
  • Ref: your debate on tickets to Gujarati Muslims. Why is it so necessary to give tickets based on ratio of population? Shouldn't we get over this mentality? Asked by: Yograj Patel
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I am simply pointing a fact that no Muslims have been given tickets by the BJP in Gujarat, not voicing a political opinion. I will, however, say that in a diverse country, political parties must do more to ensure diverse political representation, not through reservation or tokenism, but through genuine empowerment. I am seeking an answer to a simple question: why are the number of Muslims in a state assembly like Gujarat on the decline? is that not a valid question to ask? And why just Muslims, what about the appallingly low number of women in state assemblies? Should our state assemblies not reflect a greater diversity of gender and religion?
  • Do we really need 24x 7 MEDIA ? Too much info and debates , way beyound human brains capability to absorb. What is the way out. Asked by: atul a
  • Rajdeep Sardesai We need informed news and opinion, not masala news and noise. Some channels ask you to feel the noise, we ask you to feel the news!
  • What is your opinion on the guidelines issued by govt on sec 66A of IT Act ? Will it bend the ongoing case ( PIL filed ) in govt's favor ? Asked by: Dinesh Sewaiwar
  • Rajdeep Sardesai Mere issuing of guidelines on sec 66 a of the IT act wont work. we need a rewriting of the law. Its badly drafted.
  • First Congarts for ur stellar job for last 5 yrs! Top notch rajdeep! Ur editorial & Graphics team r fabulous. Why there is no coverage of horrendous power cuts in Tamilnadu in national news channels ? u guys went crazy when there was 15hr power cut in North india last month. we hve almost 13hr powercut daily!Cant watch india at 9/FTN its horrible sir! Plz hve a debate at 9 on this India @9. Mr.Manmohan hve nt said anyword regarding this. Then why we r electing PM ? No use if he doesnt care us. Asked by: Girinath
  • Rajdeep Sardesai Yes, you have given us a good story to do. We will do a story on the power cuts in TN shortly. It is a crying shame that you have 13 hour power cuts daily.
  • What is your opinion on Sachin's retirement Asked by: Ud
  • Rajdeep Sardesai We are in the middle of a tough series. Our priority should be on winning the series not on when Sachin will retire. I still believe he is a world class batsman and in a tough series, we need him more than ever. When you've scored a 100 intl hundreds, you deserve better than stupid headlines like 'Sachin Kab Jaoge'.
  • should the principles of freedom of expression be different for social media? Asked by: rajendra
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I believe all media, including social media, should be guaranteed the freedom of expression under article 19 of the constitution and also be subject to the restrictions under the same article.
  • Some aides regard Kejriwal as a committed activist & brilliant tactician,but so many others see him as ruthless,calculating and manipulative ? Where do you stand on this ? Asked by: Y K SINGH
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I believe Arvind is a committed activist and apepars a brilliant tactician, but I dont know him well enough to make a judgement beyond that.
  • Why have media stopped coverage on 2G, Coal Scam, etc etc... We want politicians/real fraudsters to be exposed. Asked by: KB
  • Rajdeep Sardesai News moves from one big story to another. Yes, we tend at times to lose track of the big story the moment the next big story happens, but that doesnt mean that the 2 g and coal scam are off the radar. They will return for sure!
  • In quest of an honest answer . Will Media grill Mr. Bhaat like it discredited Arvind and team for having political Ambitions ? Asked by: Aditya Pandey
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I just had Sanjeev Bhatt's wife Shweta walk out of my show, accusing me of asking biased questions!!. Need I say more?!
  • Your views on Mamta Banerji's comment on criticism of her govt or functioning as barking dogs? Asked by: EMathew
  • Rajdeep Sardesai Mamta Banerjee needs to be a little more tolerant of criticism. The more intolerant she becomes, the more she will alienate civil society.
  • In a shameful incident Bhanot and Chautala will be IOA's top bosses. Where does the law go when such corrupt people elected at a top position? Asked by: Ronak
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I agree its a sad day that the likes of Bhanot and Chautala seem to be back in charge. We need to create a regulator for our sports bodies who function like private fiefdoms.
  • Sir, do you think Social media has completely over shadowed main stream media? Asked by: Manoj
  • Rajdeep Sardesai Not at all: I see social media and mainsteam media as partners, not rivals. We are force multipliers for each other.
  • Dont you think that media including your channel gave undue coverage to Bal thackerey demise as if he was some national hero? Asked by: omer
  • Rajdeep Sardesai Interesting question. Yes, in hindsight, maybe the wall to wall coverage of Bal Thackeray's death and cremation made it into a media 'event'. But if you see our coverage in terms of discussion and nuances, it was way ahead, in my view, of the competition.
  • Though Charismatic & hugely popular Bal Thackray never really got a sufficient chance to rule Maharashtra unlike other provincial leaders like Karunaidhi, Badal etc. What do you think was the reason that Shivsena even under popular leader like Bal Thackray never really catapulted the minds of Maha electorate? Asked by: Akshay S
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I think the Shiv Sena failed to emerge as a pan Maharashtra party. It tended to focus excessively on Mumbai and the surrounding areas and did not offer an agenda that could be as attractive to areas beyond Mumbai where there was no real threat of the 'outsider'. Its agenda limited its growth.
  • No one expected a different decision on Kasab's mercy plea. GOI has given reasons for the secret operation X.Was the apprehension of further appeals likely to delay the execution the only reason for the secretiveness. Asked by: sundar1950in
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I think the govt had every right to effect Kasab's hanging secretly. The judicial process had been exhausted, the last thing we needed was another round of endless debates and diplomatic tangles had we prevaricated further.
  • Why is it Rajdeep that, BJP does quite well, in states that they rule. Eg: Gujarat, MP, Chattisgarh, Goa etc. But as a National Party, and at the Center, they are showing no signs of efficiency or projecting themselves as an Alternative. This way they will remain a party that has great regional leaders, with no strength at the center. Is it good for them? What is your take Asked by: Narayan
  • Rajdeep Sardesai The BJP has given autonomy to its state chief ministers which has enabled to grow and flourish. At the same time, it has been unable to resolve the generational next battle for leadership at the centre.
  • can the kejriwal's movement and aam aadmi party dent the chances of main stream political parties??? Asked by: jawahar babu
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I think the aam admi can help set the political agenda in terms of pushing the system into being more accountable. Whether it can win seats and which party will it damage more in an election, am not quite certain.
  • Kapil sibal uses the plea of Assam violence to defend 66A, which is incorrect. Will a rumour about Pakistan army entering till ambala cause an exodus? No. Because with trust in Indian army, people will not believe it. Unfortunately on account of lack of police independence, we see exodus on account of stupid rumours and then surprising enthusiasm by police in twitter and FB cases. Problem is not rumour or 66A,problem is Police reform. Will we get into this perspective Asked by: Saket
  • Rajdeep Sardesai couldnt agree more. You can have the best laws, but if poorly implemented, they mean little. Our police forces need to be trained and sensitised about cyber laws.
  • Is it not clear that Sanjeev Bhat and now his wife are used as pawns to take on NarendraBhai Modi ji ? Whole media was saying "he is an honest officer". Your comments. Asked by: Naveen
  • Rajdeep Sardesai Bhatt's honesty will be decided by courts not in tv studios. But yes, with his wife contesting on a Cong ticket, questions will be legitimately raised on whether he is a pawn in the battle against Modi.
  • Can we except a news of Telangana anytime around & what is your take on the leadership of Andhra Pradesh. How do you see Y.S.Jagan had completed 6 months in Jail.Thanks in Advance. Asked by: Mahaboob Shaik
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I had expected news on Telangana last month. The Congress leadership seems in a bind and unwilling to take a clear decision yet. But I still expect one closer to the 2014 general elections.
  • Can UPA 3 come to power by giving AADHAAR,FOOD SECURITY ETC AND TINA factor? Asked by: avishek
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I do believe that direct cash transfers can be a gamechanger: if well implemented, it will be politically beneficial for the Cong; if badly implemented, it could be political suicide.
  • Looking back do you believe that CAG methodology was fair and apolitical, with or without a personal agenda? Asked by: Kamal Agg
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I believe the CAG should be subject to scrutiny, but when we are dealing with a constitutional body, we should be careful in rushing to judgement. The methodology of the CAG maybe questionable, but the judgement on whether it was fair and political should not be through name calling but a serious examination through an independent process.
  • The Turners asked for by MSD ? Could not the captain get it done without media making so much a noise on the issue.?? Asked by: sundar1950in
  • Rajdeep Sardesai Dhoni should spend less time worrying about the wickets, and more on the state of his team's batting and his own form.
  • Past couple years, media in general has been hugely critical of Cong/Upa. Considering a direct participation of corporate houses in media business, will it be fair to extrapolate it and say that it was a vote of no confidence on their part? Asked by: Kamal Agg
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I agree the media has been very critical of the UPA, but thats because the UPA is in power and whoever is in power will always be subject to greater media scrutiny. this has nothing to do with corporate pressures or any no confidence vote.
  • Why human right activists are not worried about the rights of the innocents killed by the Terrorists?? Asked by: prathap
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I think it is a tribute to our judicial system and our respect for human rights than even a terrorist like Kasab was allowed to exhaust all his legal options. Lets not target human rights activists so lightly: they play an important role in reminding us of our constitutional responsibilities to have a just and sane society.
  • Why no show about books--popular books? Asked by: Abhijeet
  • Rajdeep Sardesai We have a show on health at the moment, the only one of its kind on news tv. Books are more niche, health concerns us all! but hey, we will always do programmes on good books too.
  • Which one of the two National Parties Congress & BJP the bigger evil? Asked by: Prasad
  • Rajdeep Sardesai Congress and the BJP: which is the bigger evil? Tough question. Now, you know why the Aap party has struck a chord!

Hosted by

Rajdeep Sardesai
Editor-in-Chief, IBN18