ibnlive » Chat

5 pm Oct 25, 2013

Important news developments of the week

Rajdeep Sardesai gives you the right perspective on what all made news throughout this week.
35 questions answered
  • Should Sharad Pawar concentrate on agriculture ministry more than cricket? Asked by: Anupam
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I am a critic of Sharad Pawar on several counts but dont accept that he concentrates more on cricket than agriculture. He spends limited time on cricket, and a fair amount of time in Krishi Bhavan. Few netas know agriculture as well as he does. Sadly, he has failed to usher in much needed reforms in the agriculture sector and still faces the charge of conflict of interest.
  • what are AAPs chances in delhi elections. Yogendra yadav was ur important political analyst and his party declares AAP as winner? Asked by: Noor Ahmed
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I have high regard for Yogendra as a poll analyst, so any poll in which he is involved I would take seriously. Yet, a poll done for a political party will always be met with a measure of scepticism. Wait for our election tracker next week, better still wait for the 8th of December!
  • How much of an impact will BJP be able to make in South India? Asked by: gopal
  • Rajdeep Sardesai My sense is that BJP's only hope of a Lok Sabha seat in the south remains in Karnataka, although the party hopes to spring a surprise in AP. There are still geographical and organisational limitations which the BJP suffers from south of the Vindhyas that I dont think a Modi alone can overcome.
  • will Narendra Modi provide the much needed strong and decisive leadership , post 2014 GE? Asked by: Naveen Kumar Kondam
  • Rajdeep Sardesai If Modi wins the 2014 elections, he may well find life in Delhi very different to Gandhinagar. While I do believe the momentum is with Modi and the BJP, the 272 plus target still looks some distance away. In any coalition arrangement, Modi will have to be more accomodative and that could result in a very different leadership style.
  • Modi is giving fiery speeches in various cities. How much do you think that this will translate into increased vote share? Asked by: gopal
  • Rajdeep Sardesai Modi is the Salim-Javed of public speaking. Great orator with terrific one liners at times. As I said, he has struck a chord with those who feel the country needs a leader who talks tough. Will it lead to increased vote share? At the moment, I would say yes, but with a rider: Indian elections are often determined in the last stretch and Modi will need to offer more than just his personality in the final analysis.
  • Do you really believe Ex Coal Secretary has done no wrong in overturning Screening Committee decision and what proof have you that there was no criminality? Asked by: R.Sundaram
  • Rajdeep Sardesai At the moment, I havent seen the criminality in the decision taken by ex coal secretary Parakh. We can argue on the merits of overturning a screening committee decision, but was it mala fide? The jury is still out and it would be wrong to presume guilt or innocence on the basis of an FIR.
  • Ex CM of AP Chandra babu Naidu is clearly saying that he is in favour of telangana, but only thing he is asking is to talk with both the region's JAC before dividing the state. But IBN keep on broaddcasting that Naidu is in ambiguity, although his demand is clear. Can you explain why is this so ? Asked by: Shaik
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I think Chandrababu Naidu is seeking to keep both the Seemandhra and Telangana constituencies happy at the moment. In the all-party meeting, he supports Telangana, now he says there is need for greater dialogue. I do sense ambivalence in his position.
  • Why rahul is invoking is dadi, papa issue in election season. What one make of his statements. how low one can go to get the vote. they don't have anything to show this time. so lets play with public emotions n get the votes. Ur view. How you judge his statement. Don't say it his open heart revelation (or u can say surgery). Is that he want to give youth, play with emotions when u have nothing to show up. Asked by: Anil
  • Rajdeep Sardesai i think Rahul is behind the times. Today's electorate doesnt want to look at the past with nostalgia, but look ahead with hope and aspiration. Invoking the name of Indira and Rajiv may strike an emotional chord with some, but a majority of Indians want to know what he has to offer for a better future. That vision has not been spelt out by Rahul.
  • How come journalist never take up the 'dynasty cult' created for the the 'Nehru-Gandhi' dynasty. It is no joke that every other public building, public places & government welfare scheme is name after the 'Nehru-Gandhi' dynasty. Mahatma Gandhi would have never approved of this dynasty cult ! Asked by: Guru
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I couldnt agree with you more. Dynasty politics cuts at the very heart of democratic politics. We dont want a nation of a billion plus people run by a handful of people. Sadly, the entire political culture, apart from the left, seems to be trapped in the dynasty syndrome. The Congress has been the worst culprit, but look at every regional party. They too are now family pocket boroughs. Even the BJP has its share of son stroke (Himachal is an example).
  • When are you doing hte next national election forecast for 2014 elections. Some other channels have already done 2 rounds. Asked by: Narayan
  • Rajdeep Sardesai CNN IBN takes poll surveys very seriously and our track record is proof of our credibility with polls. To do a national poll, you need to spend time and money: we dont believe in quick fix surveys. We did a national election tracker in end July. Now, we are doing a state wise poll from Monday amongst the states going to the polls in Nov-December.
  • Has Sharad Pawar's comment on Rahul Gandhi set the mood for a realignment within the UPA Asked by: Ananya Rao
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I think Sharad Pawar knows that the Congress is weakening and the regional parties could well call the shots after the 2014 elections. I see him playing a greater role in such a situation. I would not call it a realignment yet, but yes, there is an attempt being made to bring 'like minded' regional parties closer together.
  • Do you believe that the News watchdogs have taken an adequately robust stand on the phenomenon of "Paid News"? Asked by: Ravi
  • Rajdeep Sardesai When I was president of Editors Guild, we had made the scourge of 'paid news' a single point agenda. We worked closely with the election commission and am happy to say we have achieved some success in monitoring paid news during election campaigns. However, much more needs to be done. The key is disclosure. If you have taken money to show a new item ie advertorial, then you need to disclose the same. That still doesnt happen which is a great worry.
  • Do u see large number of parties joining NDA with Namo as its PM nominee as late as post polls Asked by: NITISH
  • Rajdeep Sardesai Jo Jeeta Woh Sikandar. Whichever alliance crosses the 180-190 mark, will see smaller parties gravitate towards him. If Modi leads the NDA to more than 200 seats, I cant rule out a Jayalalithaa, a Mayawati, joining hands with him.
  • What is your take on Rahul Gandhi latest speeches where he openly warns the consequences of communal divide in our country. Asked by: masudi
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I think Rahul Gandhi is engaging in scare-mongering by raising the communal bogey in every speech. At the same time, Muzaffarnagar does remind us of how the politics of hate can spiral out of control. I believe it is the responsibility of all political parties to rise above majority minority politics, and engage with Indians as citizens first. Their failure (and I include both the Cong and BJP here)has created a situation where both the majority and minority community are being alienated.
  • Why has the Media Stopped covering the riots of Muzzafarnagar??? Who were the culprits who were arrested? Asked by: Phani
  • Rajdeep Sardesai We have just sent a reporter to cover life in a relief camp in Muzaffarnagar. Two months after the riots many people have still not been able to return to their homes because of the fear factor. sadly, the real culprits on the ground still roam free in many instances.
  • With you knowing NaMo so well,what will he choose between Varanasi & Lucknow if he were to contest Loksabha from U.P Asked by: mehul
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I am not sure Modi will contest from UP. If he does, then Varanasi seems the more likely seat.
  • Do you agree that Rahul is giving hard time for Bjp and Namo Asked by: subhani
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I think Rahul has shown some signs in the last week of coming alive as a political campaigner. I dont think he is a match for Modi as an orator, but atleast he is showing some signs of being ready for the big fight. To my mind, I need to hear much more from Rahul on his vision for the future beyond pro poor rhetoric or family nostalgia.
  • Do you think BJP started campaign too early? Probably, because country is very vast, BJP might need this time to cover the length and breadth. Your views. However, maintaining the momentum is important Asked by: gopal
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I think Modi and the BJP have run a remarkable campaign so far: media savvy, hi-tech and with a lot of energy. Sustaining the momentum may not be easy, but they clearly have a head start. Election results though are about numbers and arithmetic. Will the BJP's chemistry match the electoral maths? thats the big question
  • Watching the news from an hour or two gets us so depressed because of the various scams, rapes etc, how do you manage to live through it day in and day out ? Asked by: Shiva
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I am a news junkie: I rejoice in a Tendulkar 100, I get angry and depressed after a gangrape. What keeps me going? the fact that no two days in journalism are the same.
  • If Narendramodi has done a similar irresponsible statement like Rahul Gandhi about Muzaffarnagar riot victims would you have stayed silent ? Asked by: Shanthan
  • Rajdeep Sardesai Who says anyone has stayed silent? last night on India at 9, we raised questions over what I feel was an ill-advised statement by Rahul. and we will continue to raise questions for Modi and Rahul.
  • Should our PM step down in the wake of his offer to be interrogated by CBI ? Asked by: Neeta
  • Rajdeep Sardesai The question whether the PM should step down is a political and moral choice, not a legal question. Legally, there is no reason for the PM to step down only because he maybe questioned by the CBI. Politically though, it is embarassing and morally, there is the question of the perception that even though there is no evidence of any personal corruption, he did not do enough to stop what was happening around him.
  • Is Onion Mafia a virtual reality ? Created artificially ? Asked by: Neeta
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I believe the latest onion crisis is partly man made, partly because of the rain gods. Unseasonal rainfall did affect the onion crop, but there is little doubt that hoarders and speculators have made a killing. Just look at the difference between the wholesale and retail price.
  • According to you, what's the minimum number of seats BJP should get so that it can put together a successful coalition and form next govt? Asked by: kartheek
  • Rajdeep Sardesai NDA needs to get between 180 to 200 seats to form the next govt at the centre.
  • Hi Rajdeep, when is the next election tracker for 5 state elections coming up ? Asked by: gautam
  • Rajdeep Sardesai CNN IBN/IBN 7/IBN Lokmat election tracker starts on Monday.
  • A mild remark of rebuke on NAWAZ Sharif on the LOC incursions. Does it indicate that hard decisions may follow ?? Asked by: sundar1950in
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I think we will see a renewed chill between India and Pakistan this winter. I dont expect it to escalate beyond a point, but clearly the dialogue process has once again been taken one step back.
  • CNN-IBN wins again the award at ITV awards. How do you share the happiness with the viewers ? Asked by: sundar1950in
  • Rajdeep Sardesai My job and that of my team is to quality journalism 365 days of the year. I am privileged to work with wonderful professionals. My happiness lies in working with such committed journalists. Awards are only the cherry on the top.
  • Should RG stick to written speeches rather than going extempore? Asked by: R JAIN
  • Rajdeep Sardesai No, RG should speak more, not less. In public life, communication is critical. Written speeches have their limitations. a great leader speaks from the heart and the head!
  • Manna Dey's passing away got you nostalgic ?? Asked by: sundar1950in
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I am a great fan of Hindi film music. Manna Dey, like Rafi, Kishore, Lata, Asha, was a genius. I played his old cd last night before going to bed! Dilka haal sune dilwala!
  • Will the UPA 2 ignore the TAMIL sentiments, expressed in form of an assembly resolution and let the PM attend the CHOGM at Colombo ?? Asked by: sundar1950in
  • Rajdeep Sardesai I dont think state governments should decide national foreign policy beyond a point. We have already paid a heavy price by allowing Mamata to prevent a water sharing agreement with Bangladesh. Sri Lanka is a valued neighbour. The sentiments of Tamils living in TN must be valued and cannot be ignored, but neither must sentiment dictate foreign policy. CHOGM is a multilateral forum and we shouldnt get isolated on the issue.
  • Is Agriculture Minister of Union Cabinet has no responsibility for Curbing rise in Onion prices? Then why is he occupying the chair? Is it state V/s center fight, where Citizen only suffers? Asked by: T S Jaykumar
  • Rajdeep Sardesai Onion prices are not the responsibility of any single individual. State govts, centre, the agriculture marketing committees, are all culpable.
  • According to your reports who is having a chance to form government in coming assembly elections? Do you think PM should be investigated in coal scam? Do you think PM is not serious about Pakistan ceasefire violations? I heard communal bill is going to be passed in parliament, Is that correct? If it is passed how different religion of people are effected? Asked by: Lakshmikanth Gelli
  • Rajdeep Sardesai Thats a lot of questions. a) BJP is in pole position in the state elections b) PM should be questioned in coal scam but not presumed guilty c) Communal violence bill is likely to be fast tracked but unlikely to be passed so quickly.
  • The key election states are UP and Bihar? What is your on ground assessment regarding these staes? Can Modi turn it around for the BJP in these states? Asked by: Ashish
  • Rajdeep Sardesai My sense is that Modi is turning around UP and Bihar, perhaps not to to extent his supporters would believe, but there is a clear momentum shift. But winning the Hindi heartland isnt easy. I actually think BJP will do better in the states where there is a direct fight between Cong and BJP: the regional parties will hold their own.
  • After listening to rahul Gandhi's Hilarious, comedy, senseless speech, U as an Individual and Journalist would give what rating to Him as a Future PM of India (1 to 10, 1 being the Lowest). Please give an Unbiased ans as we know IBNlive is biased twards cong Asked by: Mamta kabra
  • Rajdeep Sardesai Ms mamta, IBNlive is not biased towards Cong, nor is it biased towards the BJP as you might want us to be. We tell it like we see it. I dont give a number to speeches, but, and I hope this makes you happy: Modi's speeches are box office, Rahul's are not.
  • What impact will the assembly elections have on the Loksabha? Will they have an impact or people vote differently in different elections Asked by: Ashish
  • Rajdeep Sardesai In 2003, the BJP swept the state elections in these very states, yet lost the general elections. A general election is an aggregation of more than 25 state elections. The assembly results will have some impact no doubt, but will not prove decisive.
  • Which story has been the best of your life as a journalist? Asked by: Ashish
  • Rajdeep Sardesai Without a doubt the Mumbai riots and blasts of 1992-93. To watch the city of my childhood and happiest days at war with itself was a story I can never forget.

Hosted by

Rajdeep Sardesai
Editor-in-Chief, IBN18