4.30 pm, Oct 19 Oct 19, 2012
Rising number of rapes: who is responsible?
Gang-rapes and other crimes against women have become routine occurrences in India. Is the country's social fabric unable to cope with the changing economic scenario? Or is the lack of political will to blame? Or can it be attributed to a lax police and judicial system that very often subscribe to patriarchal-feudal notions? Talk to the former chairperson of National Commission for Women to find out.
17 questions answered | No question pending
- Mam, thanks for the insights and have a great weekend ahead. Asked by: Pritesh Kejriwal
- The problem is that women in India have always been deemed as weak which is a major cause in they not been able to stand up to ruffians, cause if they do they are made to stand in the accused corner. Asked by: Pritesh Kejriwal
- Left right or centre everybody has the tendency to overlook petty crimes such as eveteasing and when such crimes go unchecked they lead to a bigger issues such as rape? Asked by: Pritesh Kejriwal
- I think ban liquor in the state first and also ban the statement of Khap and other guys those are not good motive and also take a action like movie "Gangajal" and treat girls same as boys. Basically in Gujarat we have very good low and order situation and also give training to girls in school .what do u say? Asked by: Atir
- Do you agree that laws however stringent will only be effective if implementation is proper? Asked by: Pritesh Kejriwal
- A part from suggested possible causes of rapes and gang rapes, I guess education is the key to solve this issue faster as we know the condition of handicapped judical system, chaotic politics and puppet police..!!! your view? Asked by: Pratik
- Mam,Don't you think such henious crime is more of mental illness? Asked by: Pritesh Kejriwal
- Who according to you is to be blamed madam? Is it the male ego, Confused Social state of affairs(We Indians are half western and half traditional) or the law and order? Asked by: Sarin Kumar
- Do foreign films depict rapes so often? Bollywood & other Indian films does. Asked by: Anil
- I think it is not fair to blame the Law and Order system for the growing rapes. One must understand that Law and Judicary come into action only after the crime has been committed. My take on 1. Skewed Sex Ratio and 2. There is too much unspent energy in today's youth leading to unwanted situation. There has to be a social change to reduce this crime aided with political will. Maybe a bill which give incentives to parents of girl child with free education to the girl could help, even though it might take some time. In the meantime, focus on social activities like sports at grass root level to divert and channel the exuberent youth could also help. Asked by: Karthik
- Dr Mohini Giri Without law society cannot exist. the question is, is the law effective? and if so it should not be delayed justice. you are right that law and judiciary come into action after crime, however since people have no fear of the law there is no deterrent and the perpetrator of this crime has no fear of any punishment. Unspent energy from the beginning has to be channelized in productive ways by multiple hobbies which are sustained and will also result later in productive ageing. Children today specially in affluent families have too much and the children who do not try to get it by any means. the disparity has to removed, education and upbringing is a very important factor.
- Dr. Giri, don't you think that the present century old laws dealing with rape cases require drastic changes to book the culprit without further maligning the victim? Asked by: Shyam Vadalker
- I have observed rapes are less common in more open societies like west.Dont you think India should allow more freedoms like lesbian rights and gay rights Asked by: chinmay
- Why dont you struggle for death sentence for rapists.This will deter future rapes in India Asked by: chinmay
- Dr Mohini Giri 30 years ago I advocated death sentence, however today I am a firm believer that death sentence is no punishment at all, as it ends ones life and he goes without punishment. strict punishment abstinence from sex in future and total condemnation by society and law are the punishments. I could even agree with bobbitization.
- Maam women should dress sensibly and thugs avoid preying looks of men.Do you agree Asked by: chinmay
- Lowering of moral standards and encouragement to that by public leaders is a major area which needs condemnation by the society if matters are to get better ?? Asked by: sundar1950in
- The break up of joint family sustem and nuclear families is one of the reason where the protective cover goes missing and leads to such incidences .?? Asked by: sundar1950in
- The combo of Socio-economic factors and the laxity of the Law & Order agency is the reason for increasing Crime rates including Rape. The blame cannot fall on male gender alone. we have women leaders who need to do much more on this to prevent such incidences ?? Asked by: sundar1950in
Hosted byDr Mohini Giri
Scholar & Women's Rights Activist
More chats with:Dr Mohini Giri
Scholar & Women's Rights Activist