4 pm Apr 28, 2011
The legacy of Sathya Sai Baba
Sathya Sai Baba (1926-2011) has left behind a legacy of universal brotherhood and religious harmony, not to forget his message of love and spirituality. He has also left behind an overwhelming number of devoted followers who will continue to be inspired and healed by his teachings. Chat with Rahul Easwar on what Baba's legacy means to you.
18 questions answered | No question pending
- Thanks a lot for answering my question, Rahul. I hope Kerala is liberated from the hands of the Godless people, and let those who have faith rule the state once again. Sabarimala will come out of its troubles, and Lord Ayyappan will not betray His believers. Asked by: Ashwin
- Rahul Easwar I am a board Member of YMCA (Young Mens Christian Association) and their former youth wings secretary. I was fortunate to be awarded, Kerala Muslim Cultural Forums, Moulana Abdul Kalam Azad award. I believe and respect all religions. But when I go to CHristian and Muslim brothers platforms, they ask why are ony Temples ran by Govt and politicians...? Iam at a loss to answer that question. I believe temples will be liberated from the Secular Govt and devotees have a free run of it.
- Do you think that India can be helped by Godman only and not by politicians, scientist buisnessman etc as was seen in Puttapurthi so real development will not come from parliament but from outside it. Asked by: Rij
- Rahul Easwar In India, if we see things impartially, Spirituality is a much more stronger force that Politics in gathering masses. THats why all our great acheivements were by people belonging to spiritual lineage, Even 1 of the first rebellions against British Raj was Sannyasi Rebellion. We can see how Swamy Vivekananda contributed to Nation Building. How Gandhiji combined Spirituality & Politics. An ideal combination of SPiritual & social circles will be best for our Motherland which is home to all Religions of the World.
- What was Baba's view on Astrology?? Did he believe in it??? Asked by: Mukul
- Rahul Easwar I dont have factual records to either prove or disprove about that. But still I assume that Sai Baba being a person who generally encouraged Indian Cultural Heritage encouraged Astrology too. Sai Baba has always encouraged Ayurveda, Yoga, Dhyana etc.. & as a matter of fact, Astrology is getting wider acceptance in the world now.
- Rahul - How do you respond to the recent media frenzy on Saibaba and His activities? I have not seen any media reporting on Saibaba unless there are celebrities or there is scope for controversy. I also noticed that good people have always showed respect to him. But now media seems to be over interested in Saibaba as there is lot of negativity spread some vested interest. But the reality seems to be other wise. I closely follow Puttaparthi. Asked by: Kumar
- Rahul Easwar The New Age Media is a very good thing that has happend to India. As every great thing is having positive and negative, even Media has. For eg: Lokpal Bill shd hav got more screen time & space along with Sai Baba's last rites. Remember We all are a part of media, what the majority wants to see, media gives. ( iam not ignoring the reality that media houses do have their positions & Paradagims ). But generally, what the people like, are given to them. As in everycase, there is positive, and negative interest in Sai Babas case too
- mother teressa "cured" a women's cancer by just touching her. is this medically possible. she was given a sainthood for this so called miracle. why the so called rationalists are not taking up this case and just slamming satya sai baba?. just becuase he was hindu?. all his miracles are fake no doubt but he should be remembered for his social work like free water and medical services. no one takes on the church for the fake miracles they perform every day. Asked by: anand
- Rahul Easwar Mother Teressa cant be limited to the category of a "Christian" and neither Sai BABA to the category of "HINDU". Ofcourse they both got inspired by different spiritual traditions, but they grew to the universal level. Rationalists are nothing but masked Atheists who are against Religion, Sprituality, concept of God etc. A middle path on inquiry into all miracles & appreciation of good selfless work by all in the ideal thing, right brother?
- hi rahul ..The guardian (leading newspaper from U.K) has labelled our beloved baba as the most influential and most "CONTROVERSIAL" godman of all times..How can baba(bhagwan) be controversial seeing the wonders & good work baba has done to the society and the whole world? Asked by: ramakrishna moorthy(tirupati)
- Rahul Easwar Guardian is an excellent newspaper (a bit left leaning though ). Controversy is the second wife of being Famous, the 1st being Responsibility. It is ok, dont feel bad. Even Mahatma Gandhi was considered controversial by many..The more influential u r, the more controversial u become. It is not only true abt God Man, but abt all Men
- why you find Godmans only in india? Asked by: anonymours
- Rahul Easwar Mark Twain once said "India has 2 million Gods and worships them all. In Religion all other Nations are Paupers, India is the only millionaire" In India we have a Pantheistic, Poly theistic, Pluralist culture. Even the idea of Secularism in India is inspired from that. When Gandhiji was asked about Bible & Quran, Gandhiji said "I have Bhagavat Gita & Ramayana in my Pooja Room, happy to place the Holy Bible & Sacred Quran along with them in Pooja Room" India is the only place where you can find Ramayana, Gita, Bible & Quran in a single pooja room. We use the word GOD very liberally. I believe God likes it more. thats why all religions and all gods are welcomed, accommodated, live together as a family in India. Jai Hind
- How Do you respond to videos on youtube showing in detail that Satya Sai Baba's miracles were all fake? Have you seen those videos? Asked by: Rocky
- Rahul Easwar I have seen many of the videos, some were morphed, fake videos. But some raises questions. The different theories about those miracles and alleged magic tricks can be a matter of study, discussed in intellectual circles. BUT I always point out, Sai BABA materialised 1 thing, 1 thing in front of the eyes of the whole world - Puttaparthi. That is a real Miracle. (in the sense that , his efforts for that were superhuman)
- Hi Rahul... its hard to digest that a man of great powers had a painful death. Why cant a godman have a peaceful death? Asked by: Arun
- Rahul Easwar Dear Death is always painful, because either the dying person is loosing the world, or the world is loosing the dying person. In case of physical body, a Yogi wud have over come the sense of body long ago . Not that he uses the body, he is in body and beyond it. He acts like a driver who drives the car. Consciousness who drives the body. Many Great Prophets had painful death in World History. Destiny is a path that Gods cant even modify.
- I should say Rahul is extremely dominating while speaking on television, never accepts another person's opinion. He failed to answer one question properly yesterday with regard to spirituality. Let him answer this if he can. This is on "materialisation" of gold ornaments by Mr Baba. One goes to a guru or god to be able to renunciate the material world, but the same guru who is supposed to help with the process of renunciation has built an empire through materialisation taking people back into the material world they want to get rid of. This is the legacy being discussed here....isn't it Mr Rahul? Asked by: Prashanth
- Rahul Easwar Dear Prashanth, thank u for ur feedback. I accept ur constructive criticism in the best of spirits. I will try to correct it. Pls do give feedbacks when u see the next discussion. 2nd point. Renunciation doesnt mean, u throw away things. It means renunciation of the idea that "iam the owner of these". Remember brother, for the Starving Stomach, Food is God. And to buy food, one needs money. Even to give food, 1 needs money. Sai Baba's Water Project were worth 100s or crores. Only by having money, we can help people. So Material World is 1 half, spiritual world is other half. Only when we combine both a wholesome individual is born. Remember Money is not Evil. If there is anything Evil, that is poverty, not money....Money when it is used for General Good, it becomes Lekshmi Devi. These symbolisms are only given to show Money can also have a divine nature. (it is not that Lakshmi is sitting some where is a white sari with gold ornaments. ) It is to remind us that Money can have a Godly dimension, and Sai Baba Illustrated. Thats why even Atheist Karunanidhi told "Sai Baba is Equivalent to GOD" Ref - Editorial by Left Leaning Hindu day before yesterday
- He was not a God Man, But he was A GOOD MAN. Thats what his deeds say. He might have used tricks to attract people, his message is clear, universal love. Here the end justifies the means. But will the trust be able to carry his legacy forward? That should be question asked Asked by: Georgin
- Rahul Easwar The difference between GOD MAN and GOOD MAN is an " O ". that can be interpreted as 0 - shunya. Poetically there is no difference between them. Be Good, everything else will follow. May Sai Bab'as legacy inspire us to love another, work for the people....Talking is Great, But doing is Greater.
- Eventhough millions of people in this world see Sai Baba as a Godman and as a good human being devoted his life for the welfare of poor people at large, I fail to recognize him as to how I shall recognize him in terms of he being a sanniyasi or a person who practices Sidha Yoga or just a good hearted man helping the poor. Would like to know your views. Asked by: Vijay Raghavan
- Rahul Easwar I wud humbly suggest, dont categorise Sai Baba. His eminence is evident from the fact that our Hon PM Sri Manmohan Singh, Sonia Gandhi, LK Advani, Narendra Modi, Sachin etc went there to pay respect. I am not talking of the Celebrity Quotient. I am simply pointing out that even the most powerful, prominent in this Nation pays respect because they have seen his tremendous work. I suggest u take him as a Man, Because that will not decrease his greatness, rather only increase it. If he is really God, there is no miracle in him doing these work, BUT IF HE IS A MAN, He is greater because it is mission impossible 5 for an ordinary man to achieve and share how much he has done.
- Is July a good time to visit Sabarimala, I prefer lean seasons to avoid stampedes and rush? Asked by: Ashwin
- Rahul Easwar July is a good time. I am sorry and I am apologetic that there are many mismanagements in Sabarimala. I wud also like to let u know, that Temples in Kerala are run by politicians and their nominees, we have little control. We are trying our best to make things right. pls email me at email@example.com, i will personally make arrangements for darshan of urs. Swamy Saranam, Vandee Mataram
- How do you think the current battle for Sathya Sai Baba's fortune of thousands of crores will take the legacy forward as it will be damaged and how can monetary and spiritual things can be demarcated so that his legacy is left taint free Asked by: Rij
- Rahul Easwar Money is a divine thing, We, Indians call it Lakshmi Devi. We never said Money is bad, & ofcourse with bad intention even the best things in the world are put to wrong use, money, nuclear power, fame, power etc. Money is a needed thing, it is a worldly reality. We shd use money, Money shdnt use us. After an eminent, towering personality like Sai Baba is no more, there may be some issues regarding power, money and management. Many Gurus have left such great fortunes and it had caused the downfall of their movements. (eg: Osho Rajneesh's followers cud have manged his wealth in a better way ) We all pray and hope that Sai Baba's wealth will be used for the betterment of people for the sake of Baba's memory & people's good
- It is often found that famous businessperson, sportsperson being involved with Godman bring certain amount of charisma and legitimacy to them. As it gets glamourus to see popular businessman and politicians to achieve more power going to godman for support and giving donations in crores so how is it instead of helping poor godman become another source of power in the country. Asked by: Hitesh
- Rahul Easwar Some words are loaded words. Language experts call it "connotative meaning" of words. for eg: if some one calls Sai Baba, a GOD MAN, suddenly he becomes a doubtful figure, but if he is called Spiritual Guru, suddenly he becomes a gud figure. THe Word GOD MAN is having a lot of meanings in the negative way associated to it. 2nd point. Celebrities dont go to the streets and help people directly, they can use their brand name, charisma, money donate it to an institution & from there the benefits can be distributed. That is the practical way of doing things, right brother?
- Was saibaba really god? Has he predicted his death really? How do you react to critics saying that his prediction has gone wrong. The kind of work he has done for human mankind has no parallels. However why at times he used to resort to gimmicks ( Producing watches out of thin air) which does not go well among a segment of people. However his message of universal love and service to mankind will live in the minds of people of the generations to come. He definitely has set an example on that front. Asked by: sree
- Rahul Easwar Many people ask me whether I am a Rationalist or Spiritualist. I always say, "Iam a Rational Spiritualist or a Spiritual Rationalist" Only when Bhakti & Yukti, Devotion & Reason be combined, we will be a wholesome individual. Now coming to the question of Predictions. I have also heard many interpretations of the predictions that is supposed to be told by Sai Baba. some says he will die by 92, some says by 2012. THese things are tough to verify. Many People call Sai Baba - GOD MAN...I always tell, leave the GOD in it, see the MAN...God is great enough to be self sufficient, but we, MAN, we Humans are the people who need to be uplifted. See the Man, God will naturaly come.
- How do you take criticism that Sathya Sai Baba used magical tricks to allure people and did not had natural powers as was portrayed and will that add to the list of growing babas in India who indulge in all sorts of nefarious activities and that illiterate people will go to them for search of magical powers. Asked by: Rij
- Rahul Easwar This is 1 of the most serious questions and question marks that was raised against Sathya Sai Baba. Here the central question is "Whether Materialisation" is possible ? . Materialisation means creating Vibhuti etc. from no where. I believe we shd not fall into the 2 extremes of either saying blindly that 1 person has miraculous powers or the other extreme of blindly saying "he is just a fraud" A middle path without falling into extremes is advisable, a path of investigation. Siddha Yoga claims a person who is a siddha can acheive such things. (ref:An Autobiography of a Yogi - Paramahamsa yogananda). Several Para Psychologists also discuss the possibility of materialisation, psycho kinesis etc. They are yet to be proved. Even though these are things that cant be tested by a test tube and laboratory. I believe a middle path of enquiry where these "materialisations' by sai baba is beyond the realms of normal understanding of science is the ideal thing a seeker can do.
- Rahul, is the MAKAR JYOTI a natural phenomena or man made....because answer to these and such questions like whether the VIBHUDI really fell from the hands of Sai Baba or he could take out a shiva linga from hismouth would go a long way in educating the massess. Today we are told to look at the good work only of the people, what if today HASAN ALI or DAWOOD decides to a adopt a KALAHANDI district in ORISSA and puts their entire wealth towards of upliftment of areas sorrounding it....will it help forget their hisory. Asked by: Eshwar s