2.30 pm Jan 17, 2013
Will Facebook Graph Search change the way people behave on Facebook?
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg unveiled a new feature - Graph Search - to help its users search for people and places within the social network. It is a new way for you to find people, photos, places and interests that are most relevant to you on Facebook. Graph Search will appear as a bigger search bar at the top of each page. Currently, Graph Search is in a limited preview, or beta, but this new feature is expected to change the way people behave on Facebook once it will be rolled out to all users.
15 questions answered | 4 questions pending
- Will social media agencies be responsible for teaching their clients on graph social? How are you educating yours? Asked by: Megha Shah
- Zafar Rais We follow a educate & engage principle which I believe most social media agencies should incorporate. Staying constantly alert of your surroundings allows you to get access to features immediately and hence train and implement it internally, following which we share our findings and best practices with clients.
- Is brand impact a definite expectation through graph social? Can you give me a detailed consulting on how I can help my brand? Asked by: tarunt
- Zafar Rais Definitely! Facebook's strategies are always tweaked to benefit the consumer and the marketer. They still define a core of the social media marketing space. For a detailed consultation on your brand, get in touch with us as there are insights on social media that need to be garnered for each brand prior to recommending a strategy.
- What according to you is Facebook's growth strategy fro now on? It has already touched a billion user accounts , what is the way forward? Asked by: Shruti
- Zafar Rais Facebook's main strategy would definitely be to increase its reputation at the stock market. Facebook's shares were flat at $30.10 in early trading on Wednesday. With this announcement, they have jumped about 50 percent since November to Tuesday's close after months of weakness in the NASDAQ listing in May 2012. Expect newer avenues for consumers and brands to simultaneously benefit out of. In 2013, we can expect Facebook to start acquiring a lot of smaller companies as they have done with Instagram. The purchase of Foursquare will be BIG for them as location is a strength clearly missing.
- Introducing all such new features,, will facebook start charging for these services someday?? Asked by: abhi_vm
- Zafar Rais Facebooks strategy has never been about charging via the most obvious routes. One key factor towards Graph Search is that it will help clear out the clutter we see in our news feeds. Monetization will continue via sponsored stories and eventually there will be elements within Graph Search that would be charged when a brand wishes for greater outreach although charging for features is definitely not the motive behind such innovations, now or in the future.
- Is graph search going to be like Google search? Asked by: Aditya
- Zafar Rais Graph Search helps you search within your network of people and find immediate reliable answers. Google search provides you with the best results from across the web for a query raised by you, linking you onto the next question. Both cater to different queries and I don't think FB is out to kill the space for a Google or a Yelp, just yet.
- i saw your article in the paper today on graph search. how will it help restaurants increase social media marketing capabilities? Asked by: Kapil Vohra
- Zafar Rais As I said, Graph search will be of great help in social media optimization & a key driver for location based brands. Your restaurant will be a leader if you jump onto the bandwagon soon and follow the right routes. Do refer to my comments for Boom Baba for more information on how you could leverage your Restaurant further.
- What next ?? Asked by: sundar1950in
- Should my brand be on graph search? Asked by: tarunt
- How will this affect social media marketing? What's the catch for us social marketers? Asked by: Boom Baba
- Zafar Rais Facebook Graph Search focuses on people, photos, places and interests. All the information that people have shared on Facebook becomes a powerful searchable database. Strategically, brands should start posting information on the basis of the above categories and hence become more searchable. Graph search will take Social Media Optimisation to the next level! Marketers will now have to look at not just engagement but also an increased fan base growth as the more fans you have, the more brands, places or pages you'd show up in on Graph search. Another features for brand marketers to focus upon is Location! Check-ins will be important especially when Graph Search gets onto mobile devices.
- How will it help brands? Asked by: Vishal
- Zafar Rais Facebook Graph Search focuses on people, photos, places and interests. All the information that people have shared on Facebook becomes a powerful searchable database. Strategically, brands should start posting information on the basis of the above categories and hence become more searchable. Graph search will take Social Media Optimisation to the next level!
- The facebook addiction amongst young ones will soar to their disadvantage. will the social network's efforts help in building a better society ?? Asked by: sundar1950in
- Zafar Rais Contrary to popular belief, Facebook has always worked towards making the world a smaller place and connecting people. Graph Search is another step towards helping bring you closer to your friends and use them towards reviews and recommendations. Building a better society is a very large term and each responsible person/effort/platform can help in their own ways to reach near it.
- With the stocks not being quoted at expected range will these acts help Facebook to improve it's market position ?? Asked by: sundar1950in
- Will this make the social page open to more scrutiny and less of privacy ?/ Asked by: sundar1950in
- Will it effect google's all over search number over the time ??? Asked by: vishal kotak
- How do you think this will make privacy an even more difficult thing to ask for? Asked by: Vishnu
- Zafar Rais Facebook Privacy would be taken into consideration at all times as your activities would only be visible to your friends, unless you choose to open them up further. When you share a new photo or post a link, ensure you look at the privacy setting you have put. If there's a glob coming right next to it, your update is open for all. We always have the option of ensuring our privacy.
Hosted byZafar Rais
Founder & CEO of MindShift Interactive
More chats with:Zafar Rais
Founder & CEO of MindShift Interactive