ibnlive » Chat

4 pm Apr 25, 2013

The legacy of Shamshad Begum

Discuss the immense contribution of the legend who passed away recently with an acclaimed Sufi singer.
This chat is over. Thanks for joining.
14 questions answered | No question pending
  • RIP ? or RIH (rest in hearts)? Asked by: DK
  • Zila Khan Live forever- which is in our hearts and only then does one rest in peace...
  • Lyricist you admire most from the current lot? Asked by: Yaseen Anwer
  • Zila Khan Javed Akhtar, Gulzar who has given me his poetry to compose and sing and Prasoon for the new radical stuff is cute.
  • Can poetry bring change in our society? Asked by: Yaseen Anwer
  • Zila Khan as I just mentioned yes it can
  • Any book on the legacy of Shamshad Begum? Asked by: Honey
  • Zila Khan I really don't know, though people have mentioned her in their books but I'm not sure any book was written on her or not.
  • How did she get along with her contemporaries like suraiya, lata, Noor Jehan? Asked by: Urmi
  • Zila Khan There was hardly any time in her busy schedule to spare time for others, but she was such a simple and pure and 'focussed' person that it would'v been hard for others not to be in awe of her or get along really well.
  • What is more important for a singer if asked to choose one, good music or good lyrics? Asked by: Yaseen Anwer
  • Zila Khan First good lyrics, then the singing has to have depth then the music adds to these important ingredients.
  • How did she enter the field of music & cinema at that time? Asked by: fatima
  • Zila Khan Her voice was first noticed in her school by her principal, she sang in school functions, house marriages etc, then radio and the spotted by the great Ghulam Haidar and presented to Bollywood.
  • How will history remember her? Asked by: Farhan
  • Zila Khan As the most powerful voice in the film industry ever and as the lady who created a path for us women to have the courage and conviction to not 'break' but 'adjust' with the rules of household/ father/world and still find a way and come forward to do respectfully what she is good at and what her heart so desires.
  • Has anyone got the classics in a disc and marketed it ?? Asked by: sundar1950in
  • Zila Khan Yes, all the info for that is on wikipedia
  • Purity of music and Lyrics, the hallmark of yesteryears filmi songs lost .Why ?? Asked by: sundar1950in
  • Zila Khan superfast and shortcut ambition to fame... kills it
  • Her biggest contribution to Bollywood? Asked by: Jyoti
  • Zila Khan Her special voluminous crystal clear voice and her path breaking entry into the singing and bollywood world...it takes a lot of guts and a focussed mind to be able to do this..
  • Your favourite Shamshad Begum song... Asked by: Isha
  • Zila Khan Kajra mohobbat wala and reshmi salwaar kurta jaali ka, no house antaakshri or picnics are complete without her songs...
  • with a golden voice and traditional musical instruments and a simple system of technology for audio recording BEGUM had made herself Unforgettable.. The richness of the lyrics added to the magical spell. Do we have anything like that today which we shall remember after five decades ?? Asked by: sundar1950in
  • Zila Khan Hopefully but only hopefully, and I say this only because there have been many times when I'v had to step away from the microphone because of the power of the voice, and I heard Shamshad Begum had to do the same many a times.But where can one fine the Ghulam Haidar's, Naushad sahab's ? who appreciated her voice and singing so much and added to making those songs eternal.
  • Any award being instituted in her name for classical and /or film songs ?? Asked by: sundar1950in
  • Zila Khan I'd like to confer on her the title Ustad-e-Maa which is for a professional title for women artists. We from UstadGah Institute felicitated Dr.Yamini Krishnamurthy ji with it last year.

Hosted by

Zila Khan
Sufi singer

More chats with:

Zila Khan
Sufi singer

The legacy of Shamshad Begum