New Delhi: After the Central Bureau of Investigation Director was quizzed by the Joint Parliamentary Committee on Tuesday over the prosecutor-accused nexus issue in the 2G scam, the Bharatiya Janata Party is all set to raise it at the Public Accounts Committee meeting on Wednesday. Meanwhile, the CBI preliminary inquiry is widening its focus on the other accused as well.
The CBI director appeared before the JPC on Tuesday and admitted to a collusion between its prosecutor AK Singh and Unitech MD Sanjay Chandra. JPC chief PC Chacko on Tuesday said that according to the CBI chief, the reports regarding allegations of collusion between its former prosecutor AK Singh and United MD Sanjay Chandra were correct, and the recording has been sent for forensic examination.
Chacko further said that many JPC members questioned the collusion between corporate and CBI after the expose by CNN-IBN. Terming the case as an eye-opener, the JPC chief said the CBI had assured that it was taking steps to prevent this. He said that the tape was recorded by the CBI 10 days back and was given by the DIG to the CBI director.
Meanwhile, the CBI preliminary inquiry is widening its focus on the other accused in the 2G scam as well.
Chacko said that they have not decided on calling United MD Sanjay Chandra and CBI prosecutor AK Singh. He said the parliamentary panel will submit the report on 2G case by May 10. "There is no need to call the ministers. We cannot call everyone. The JPC has questioned the secretaries of the concerned ministries. We had questioned the CBI director today. We appreciate CNN-IBN report, we asked CBI about the tapes," he said.
According to sources, the probe may widen to focus on other accused as well. While the preliminary inquiry progresses, the CBI is also zeroing in on other 2G accused, one of whom is Shahid Balwa, who sources say may very well be called in for questioning along with AK Singh and Sanjay Chandra. The CBI fears the conversation may not have been limited to just these two individuals and thus the need to widen its investigation.
Singh, the prosecutor in the dock, is a 20-year veteran of the CBI. He handled the Shashinath Jha murder which implicated former Union Minister and JMM chief Shibu Soren. Singh was also a junior lawyer attached to the Jain Hawala case. According to sources, his record so far has been clean.
But will the record remain clean? The CBI has already collected the voice samples of both Chandra and Singh and a forensic examination is underway, results of which could have a major impact on the manner in which the entire case was prosecuted by him.
Unitech had issued a statement on Monday night rejecting the allegations saying Chandra has never met the prosecutor in the 2G case outside the court or had any phone conversation with him. Unitech also denied that Chandra's voice was on any alleged recording and said it appeared a fabricated voice recording sent anonymously to CBI. "It is nothing but an attempt to malign him and prejudice his defence in the 2G case," the statement said.
Cabinet approves Ordinances on land acquisition, regularisation of illegal colonies in Delhi
Cabinet to discuss changes in Land acquisition Act through ordinance today
BJP has advantage in West Bengal but Left will regain its ground: Yechury