Mumbai: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Wednesday filed an application in a special court seeking to drop former Maharashtra chief minister Ashok Chavan's name from the list of accused in Adarsh housing society scam.
The move came after Maharashtra Governor K Sankarnarayanan refused to sanction prosecution of Chavan. Sources say that according to legal opinion received by the agency, it can seek a review of the Governor's rejection of sanction for prosecution if it manages to bring out new evidence or legal infirmity in the order.
They said since all the gathered evidence indicating alleged involvement of Chavan had already been placed before the Governor, it will not be immediately filing for the review of his order.
However, they said, in case the agency during its probe manages to find some new material which further boosts the case against the former chief minister, it would not hesitate to seek a review of the Governor's opinion.
The sources said the developments will soon be shared with the competent court in Mumbai.
Chavan, who resigned as chief minister of Maharashtra after the scam surfaced, was among 12 persons chargesheeted by the CBI in connection with the case. The former chief minister had challenged inclusion of his name in the chargesheet, saying no sanction for prosecution was taken from the Governor whereas CBI countered it by saying since he was a former minister at the time of being chargesheeted and there was no need for sanction.
(With inputs from PTI)