Mohali: Kolkata Knight Riders' Sunile Narine registered the first hat-trick of IPL 6 when he sent back Kings XI Punjab's batsmen David Hussey, Azhar Mahmood and Gurkeerat Mann on Monday at the PCA stadium, but another hat-trick in the same match by KKR captain Gautam Gambhir got little attention.
En route to the second spot in the list of highest run-scorers this season, Gambhir scored his third consecutive half-century, albeit in a losing cause. This was the second time in the IPL history that Gambhir has stroked three fifties on the trot. The Kolkata skipper now has 19 half-centuries in the IPL - the most by any batsmen.
Chasing Punjab's 157, KKR felt four agnoising runs short despite Gambhir's 39-ball 60, which included nine fours. Eoin Morgan (47) made the only other notable contribution in KKR's narrow defeat. Here are the statistical highlights from the match:
Gambhir's 60 in the match against Punjab on Tuesday was his third consecutive half-century of IPL 6.
* Gautam Gambhir is the first batsman to register three fifties in a row in the present competition - 59 off 46 balls v Bangalore, 53 off 45 balls v Hyderabad and 60 off 39 balls v Punjab.
* Gambhir is the first batsman to record the aforesaid feat twice in history of IPL, having first registered the feat between April 28 and May 5, 2012. Virender Sehwag (five), Sachin Tendulkar and Jacques Kallis have registered the feat once each.
* With 235 runs in five matches, Gambhir's tally is the second best in this tournament behind the 256 in five games by Virat Kohli. Gambhir's tally of 19 innings of fifty or more is a record for most fifties at IPL.
* Manpreet Gony (42 off 18 balls) has posted his highest score at the IPL.
* Gony's tally of three sixes in an innings is the highest by a Punjab batsman at the IPL. His strike rate of 233.33 is the second highest by a Punjab player at the IPL, next only to Yuvraj's 306.25 (49 off 16 balls) against Rajasthan Royals at Mohali on May 28, 2008.
* Gony has received the Man-of-the-Match award for the first time at the IPL.
* Punjab's exciting four-run triumph is their narrowest by runs' margin at the PCA Stadium, Mohali, in the IPL.
* Sunil Narine is the first Kolkata bowler to register a hat-trick - the tenth in the IPL history at the IPL. Yuvraj Singh and Amit Mishra are the only two bowlers to have recorded two hat-tricks each at the IPL.
* Narine became the first bowler to complete 10 wickets in five games in the present edition of the IPL.
* Jacques Kallis (2046 runs + 51 wickets + 27 catches in 79 matches) has become the first all-rounder to complete the triple of 2000 runs and 50 wickets at the IPL.
* Gilchrist became the first wicketkeeper to complete 60 dismissals (44 catches + 16 stumpings) in 71 games at the IPL.
(With inputs from PTI)