Aligarh: The Aligarh Muslim University on Saturday withdrew a decision on the dress code of hostel girls saying it was 'unofficial'. The provost of the girl's hostel, Dr Ghazala Parveen, had earlier issued a list of dos and don'ts for the girl students.
The girls were asked to wear proper and descent looking dresses, which according to the diktat is salwar kameez with dupatta in and outside the hostel. They were also asked to keep only one mobile phone.
A fine of Rs 500 was to be levied from those who violated the order.
It also said the residents would be responsible for any mishappening or untoward incident if it occurred in case of non-compliance of the order.
Activist Annie Raja said this is nothing but curtailing the freedom of the girls and it proves that girls are used as a commodity. "It is condemnable and utterly nonsense. First of all who will decide that a particular dress is decent or not and it is their right what they want to wear and what not," she said.
The Public Relations Officer of the University, Dr Rahat Abrar, clarified that it was only an advisory which was issued only in Abdullah Hall by Dr Ghazala Praveen. "This was not an official decision and Ghazala is asked to withdraw the advisory," he said.
Dos and don'ts according to 'unofficial' diktat:
1. To keep in possession only one cell phone.
2. To go to Dining Hall for all meals.
3. To wear proper and decent looking dresses i.e. salwar kameez with dupatta in or outside the hostel.
4. To keep the rooms and hostels neat and clean.
5. To remain present at the time of attendance of attendance of hostel at 5 pm.
6. To show ID Card/Admission card at the gate at the time of entry or exit.
7. To record their outings in outing register.
8. To put off all switches at the room while moving out of the rooms in order to save the electricity and to prevent the power load over the University.
1. Not to take food of Dining Hall outside the Dining Hall/ Room.
2. Not to keep the rooms/hostels dirty.
3. Not to move out without making proper entry in the concerned register available at the gate.
4. Not to involve in any illegal activity which comes under unbecoming of University Student.
5. Not to keep more than one cell phone.
6. Not to use heaters in the room as it causes interruption in power supply to the University.