New Delhi: With only two more days to go for the launch of the the next-generation Apple iPhone, rumours about the iPhone 5 are doing frenzied rounds in the technology world.
Apple, recently, sent out a cryptic invitation to the press with the message "It's almost here", and the number 12 - corresponding to the date of the event - printed on it. The number cast a large shadow of the number 5, hinting that the company is likely to announce the next iPhone, unofficially dubbed the iPhone 5, on September 12.
The event will take place at San Francisco's Yerba Buena Centre for the Arts, Apple's preferred venue for recent unveiling of products such as the iPad.
Here's a round up of the rumours around the much-awaited Apple iPhone 5.
1. The latest version of the company's main product - generating more than half its revenue - may sport a larger, higher-end screen. The new screen could measure 4 inches from corner to corner, an increase from the 3.5-inch display that has been held constant since the smartphone began selling in 2007 and revolutionised the mobile industry.
2. The new model is expected to work with fourth-generation, or 4G, cellular networks. That capability is something the S III and many other iPhone rivals already have. However, it is not likely to be available on every carrier.
3. The next-generation iPhone is likely to feature a redesigned, smaller dock connector, with Apple ditiching its 30-pin port.
4. There are indications that the new iPhone will come bundled with better earphones with a stirking new design. Of late, Vietnamese site Tinhte published images of earphones. Technology website The Verge, in one of its reports, said, "The buds have an unusual molded design that appears to funnel sound into the ear canal, and the speaker grilles are largely hidden from view."
5. Rumours hint that micro-SIM tray may have to make way for nano-SIM in the iPhone 5.
6. The 3.5mm headphone port in the iPhone 5 will be located at the bottom of the phone instead of the top.
7. The new iPhone is expected to have the rear casing made of metal, replacing the breakable glass found on its predecessors - the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S.
8. There are speculations that the iPhone 5 will get a bigger battery. According to iResQ, an Apple certified repair shop, "the iPhone 5's battery is slightly less than a half an inch taller than the iPhone 4S. Although, the thickness appears to be the same, the iPhone 5 battery is ever so slightly thinner."
9. There are various claims that the iPhone 5 will be slimmer and lighter than the iPhone 4S. The iPhone 5 is expected to be longer than the 4S, but not wider.
10. According to a report from GottaBeMobile, Apple will launch the new iPhone on September 21, nine days after the announcement.
As with most rumours, it is difficult to say that how many of these will turn out to be true, but two things are known, that Apple plans to update its phone software this fall and will ditch Google's mapping service for its own, as a rivalry between the two companies intensify.
- Apple likely to debut 4-inch iPod touch on Sep 12
- Apple iPhone 5 to be released on Sep 21: Report
- iPhone 5 and other upcoming and recent releases
- Apple to unveil iPhone 5 on September 12
- Sharp's iPhone 5 display behind schedule