ibnlive » Cricketnext

Dec 30, 2013 at 07:14pm IST

As it happened: South Africa vs India, 2nd Test, Day 5

(For ball-by-ball commentary, scroll down to the bottom of the page)

Day 4 round-up: Jacques Kallis scored a fairytale hundred in his last Test as South Africa consolidated their position on the fourth day of the second and final Test against India, taking a 166-run lead which could prove decisive going into the fifth day in Durban. India were 68 for 2 in their second innings, still trailing the hosts by 98.

ALSO SEE Live Scorecard

While Kallis (115) got to his 45th Test century, India had only themselves to blame. They paid price of avoiding taking the second new ball until the 147th over - 66 overs after it was due. When it was taken, South Africa had already amassed 431 for 7 on the board, with their lower-order raring to add more to their lead.

As it happened: South Africa vs India, 2nd Test, Day 5

Dale Steyn celebrates after bowling Cheteshwar Pujara. (AFP)

Indian batsmen, as expected, had a tough time against the South African pacemen, who were incisive in their line and lengths, offering not even an inch to their counterparts. Murali Vijay batted for 13 deliveries for his six, while Shikhar Dhawan battled for 87 balls for his 19. Cheteshwar Pujara (32*) had already faced 90 balls, while Virat Kohli (11) too batted for 26 deliveries before bad light stopped the play.

Commentary (South Africa 2nd Innings)

Smith comes forward to collect the trophy. The South African team poses with the trophy. So that's it from all of us here. Good bye and take care!

A special award for Jacques Kallis. Says it's been a tough day, thinks it was the right time for him. Thanks Cricket South Africa, team and the crowd for making this special. Thanks MS and the Indian team for the guard of honour. Admits it was good to have his family watch his first and last match. Says he will miss cricket a lot, the memories that the game as given him. Thanks the family, coaches for always being there for him. Says he will look forward to spend time with them. Says he hopes to have made his mom and dad proud.

AB de Villiers was adjudged the Man of the Series for his overall performance. Says he has worked hard on his keeping thanks to tips from Boucher. Says he has to work more hard. Admits they all knew that Steyn will come back hard after Wanderers. Calls it an honour to have played with Kallis, calls him the rock of the team.

Dale Steyn was adjudged the Man of the Match. Says the team responded well after Kallis batted brilliantly. Jokes that Kallis did not bowl in second innings as usual. Thanks the management and the team for helping him get to 350 Test wickets. Says the wicket of Pujara was a special wicket for him as he is a good batsman.

Graeme Smith - He is delighted with the win, given the start the Indians had. Says they knew the ball was spinning and the bowlers had their work cut out. Admits Steyn was brilliant with the ball along with Peterson. Jokes Kallis will play a lot of golf. Says both have enjoyed playing together, says it's been a privilege to be with him, know him. Says the wicket was like the ones in India, happy that they turned it around with the weather. Thanks all the crowd for coming out to support Kallis and the team.

MS Dhoni - Starts off saying the first session was crucial, adds they did not play good shots. He is happy with overall performance since not many played here before. Adds, the bowlers did well too. Says the youngsters must have learned well, every session is important. He is delighted that they adapted well to the conditions. Admits, Kallis is a terrific player. A luxury, a fast bowling all-rounder who is a dream for any team. Says Kallis has carried the burden for South Africa, admits that the youngsters look up to him.

The South Africans are wearing a jersey in tribute to Kallis which reads 'The only player to score 10000 runs and take 200 wickets in Test Cricket, December 1995 - December 2013.' They are carrying Kallis for a lap of honour!

Chasing that small target was never going to be difficult. The openers played well and sealed a 10-wicket win for South Africa! Stay tuned for details from the presentation!

India trailing by 166 runs got off to a disastorus start as they lost Vijay and Dhawan early on day four before bad light stopped play. Then Steyn, Philander and Peterson combined to demolish the Indian batting for 223 as the visitors failed to get any partnerships. Rahane played very well but was the lone man standing. Once batting with the tail, he opened up to play some delightful shots but missed out on his maiden century when Philander bowled him. India got a lead of only 57 runs.

South Africa were off to a solid start with Petersen scoring fifty adding 103 runs for the opening wicket. India took three quick wickets on morning of day three but Kallis and de Villiers played their shots as they brought the home side closer to the Indian total. Kallis hit a century in his final Test as South Africa then got well ahead into the lead thanks to the partnership between du Plessis and Peterson who hit a fifty. Jadeja was the only star for them as he picked up his maiden six wicket haul.

India will be disappointed with the result, they were on top at the end of first day when they were 181-1 when bad light stopped play. Steyn then brought the home side back into the match picking up six-for after which the visitors never came back. Vijay missed out on his century.Pujara, Rahane hit fifties as Kohli and Dhawan got starts but did not convert.

What a Test this has been! From what looked like a draw, this match has ended as a 10-wicket win for South Africa! South Africa win the 2-match Test series 1-0! Jacques Kallis has a fitting farewell!

11.4 R Sharma to Smith, FOUR! Victory! Short outside off, Smith cuts it hard through point for a boundary. Smith pumps his fist! SOUTH AFRICA WIN BY 10 WICKETS 59/0

11.3 Sharma to Smith, SIX! Boom! Floated on middle, Smith flat-bats it over the bowlers head for a maximum. South Africa need only 3 more runs! 55/0

11.2 R Sharma to Smith, Tossed up on middle, Smith comes forward and defends it. 49/0

11.1 R Sharma to Smith, Short outside off, Smith cuts it to point. 49/0

Rohit Sharma has a bowl!

10.6 R Jadeja to Petersen, Floated on middle, Petersen blocks it. 49/0

10.5 R Jadeja to Petersen, Short on off, Petersen defends it. 49/0

10.4 Jadeja to Petersen, Flat on the stumps, Petersen misses his defends. Mild appeal but turned down. 49/0

10.3 R Jadeja to Petersen, Quicker on middle, Petersen misses his flick, he is struck on his pads. The players appeal but it was too high. The umpire warns Jadeja for not following through in the danger area. 49/0

10.2 R Jadeja to Petersen, Flatter on middle, Petersen comes forward and blocks it. 49/0

10.1 R Jadeja to Petersen, FOUR! This is ending soon! Shortish outside off, Petersen goes back and cuts it powerfully through point for a boundary. 49/0

The target is only 13 runs now!

9.6 I Sharma to Smith, FOUR! Lovely! Fuller on off, Smith punches it on the up over mid on for a lovely boundary. 45/0

9.5 I Sharma to Petersen, Good length on middle, Petersen heaves it to long leg for a single. 41/0

9.4 I Sharma to Petersen, Bouncer! Shorter on middle, Petersen lets it go over him after thinking to hook it at first. 40/0

9.3 I Sharma to Petersen, FOUR! Unlucky! Back of a length outside off, Petersen stand in his crease and tries to punch it through the off side. The ball takes the inside edge and runs down to the fine leg fence. 40/0

9.2 I Sharma to Smith, Good length again on middle, Smith works it past mid on for a single. 36/0

9.1 I Sharma to Petersen, Good length on off, Petersen works it to the on side for a single. 35/0

8.6 Jadeja to Smith, Appeal for LBW but given not out! Floated on off, Smith comes forward to defend but is hit on the pads. The players appeal but turned down since the impact was outside off. 34/0

8.5 R Jadeja to Smith, Quicker on middle, Smith defends it with his pads. 34/0

8.4 R Jadeja to Smith, Flatter on off, Smith works it to the leg side. 34/0

8.3 R Jadeja to Smith, Bowls it quicker on middle, goes down, Smith turns it to the on side off his pads. 34/0

8.2 R Jadeja to Smith, Tossed up outside off, Smith shuffles across and gets down to sweep but is hit on his pads. 34/0

8.1 R Jadeja to Petersen, Floated on middle, Petersen comes forward to defend but gets an inside edge towards the on side for a single. 34/0

7.6 I Sharma to Smith, Back of a length outside off, Smith gets on top of it and guides it through third man for a couple. 33/0

7.5 I Sharma to Smith, Close! Good length on middle and leg, Smith goes across to the off stump to work it through the leg side but misses. The ball bounces over the middle stump. 31/0

7.4 I Sharma to Smith, Shorter on off, Smith closes the face of the bat and defends it down the track. 31/0

7.3 I Sharma to Smith, Good length on middle, Smith turns it down the leg side. 31/0

7.2 I Sharma to Smith, FOUR! Shot! Good length on middle, Smith backs away and plays it through covers for a boundary. There are in a hurry to finish things early! 31/0

7.1 I Sharma to Smith, Short outside off, Smith defends to the off side. 27/0

7.1 I Sharma to Smith, WIDE! Bouncer! Too short on middle, Smith ducks under it and lets it go over him. 27/0

Ishant continues from the other end after Tea!

6.6 R Jadeja to Petersen, Quicker on middle, defeneded by the batsmen. 26/0

6.5 R Jadeja to Petersen, Flatter on middle, Petersen comes forward and blocks it. 26/0

6.4 R Jadeja to Petersen, SIX! Humongous! Tossed up on off, Petersen dances down the track and lofts him over long off for a maximum. 26/0

6.3 R Jadeja to Petersen, Floated on off, Petersen drives it to mid off. 20/0

6.2 R Jadeja to Petersen, Quicker on the stumps, Petersen defends it. 20/0

6.1 R Jadeja to Smith, Floated outside off, Smith taps it to the covers off his front foot and takes a single. 20/0

Welcome back for the final session. Smith and Petersen come out to bat. They need only 39 runs to win now! The home side is set to win the match and the series! Jadeja to bowl...

One more session dominated by South Africa! They bowled India out for 223. Rahane tried his best but missed out on his century as he was the last man to be dismissed. The home side needs only 39 runs more to win as the openers have started well and will wish to see things off without any worries. Join us in a while for the final session of this Test.

5.6 I Sharma to Petersen, FOUR! Edge! Good length outside off, Petersen thinks to play at it but gets an outside edge towards third man for a boundary. That's TEA, DAY 5! 19/0

5.5 I Sharma to Petersen, On a good length on off, Petersen defends it. 15/0

5.4 I Sharma to Petersen, Fuller on the pads again, Petersen works it through mid on for a couple. 15/0

5.3 I Sharma to Smith, Fuller on the pads, Smith takes a single to the leg side. 13/0

5.2 I Sharma to Smith, Similar length on off, Smith gets an inside edge as he looks to defend. 12/0

5.1 I Sharma to Smith, Good length on off, Smith defends it. 12/0

4.6 R Jadeja to Petersen, Floated on middle, Petersen defends it. 12/0

4.5 R Jadeja to Petersen, Slower one outside off, Petersen comes down to defend but is struck on the pads. 12/0

4.4 R Jadeja to Petersen, Tossed up on middle, Petersen defends it. 12/0

4.3 R Jadeja to Petersen, FOUR! Shot! Shorter again outside off, Petersen goes back and punches it through covers for a boundary. Petersen delayed his shot to get the gap. 12/0

4.2 R Jadeja to Petersen, Drops it short outside off, Petersen cuts it through point. 8/0

4.1 R Jadeja to Petersen, Floated on off, Petersen defends it. 8/0

Jadeja to bowl!

3.6 I Sharma to Smith, Back of a length outside off, Smith shapes to defend but is beaten. 8/0

3.5 I Sharma to Smith, Shorter on middle, Smith defends it. 8/0

3.4 I Sharma to G Smith, On a length outside off, Smith gets an outside edge to the off side as he looks to defend. 8/0

3.3 I Sharma to Smith, Good length on middle, Smith defends it. 8/0

3.2 I Sharma to Smith, Fuller outside off, left alone. 8/0

3.1 I Sharma to Smith, Good length on off, Smith defends it. 8/0

2.6 S Ahmed to Petersen, Good length on middle, Petersen defends it. 8/0

2.5 S Ahmed to Petersen, Similar length outside off, left alone. 8/0

2.4 S Ahmed to Petersen, Good length on off, Petersen defends it. 8/0

2.3 S Ahmed to Petersen, FOUR! Bang! Shorter in length on middle, Petersen is onto it quickly and pulls it through mid-wicket for a boundary. 8/0

2.2 S Ahmed to Petersen, NOT OUT! Smith survives! Good length outside off, Petersen works it to the leg side and calls Smith through for a single but then sends him back. Pujara from short mid-wicket gets onto it and scores a direct hit at the non-striker's end but the replays shows Smith was well in. Smith was taking evasive action trying to get back into the crease which made him run across. 4/0

Third umpire referred for a run out appeal at the non-striker's end!

2.1 S Ahmed to Petersen, Fuller on midddle, Petersen drives it toward mid on. 4/0

see more commentry

Latest