Bangalore: Twenty six-year-old Aijaz Mirza, who was released from jail after six months after the National Investigation Agency (NIA) found no proof against him in a terror plot is fighting to rebuild his reputation and reclaim his life after being sacked by the DRDO.
Asad Rauf had been dreaming of this day for the past six months - to see his son's release from the jail and to take him home. Aijaz Ahmed Mirza was accused of conspiring with the LeT operatives to target right-wing personalities in Karnataka, Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh.
But with the NIA finding no proof against him, Mirza was granted statutory bail. But life will never be the same for the bright young man from Hubli. The DRDO, where he was working, has terminated his services and the battle now is to reclaim his reputation.
The former DRDO employee said, "It was my dream to do research. But then this happened. Now I will have to reconstruct my life all over again."
Being branded as a terrorist has taken its toll on Mirza. Mirza added, "For six months I have been dreaming of my parents, my brother, my friends. I just wanted to be with them." Mirza was awarded a junior research fellowship by the DRDO and after an extensive screening process that included background checks he had taken up the job in 2012.
He used to share a small house in Bangalore with his younger brother Shoaib and four other friends from Hubli. All six were arrested in August 29 by the Bangalore Police. Three of them including one journalist have been released due to lack of evidence.
Bangalore Police though insist they can't be blamed. Bangalore Police Commissioner Jyothiprakash Mirji said, "You can't say we spoiled someone's career. On investigation we can't comment. This is given to someone else, someone else is doing something. You can't say someone has done wrong or right."
Mirza's father said, "An investigation needs to be done to find out who played with my son's career like this." The bigger question is who will give Mirza back six months of his life?