Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Kumar, on Sunday, ruled out any security lapses in the arrangements for the BJP much talked about Hunkar rally saying that the state government had left no stone unturned to ensure safety of all those attending the rally in Patna.
"There were no intelligence inputs either from the Centre or from the state. Whatever was possible to do for this kind of a programme, the administration had done. Security was tightened keeping in mind the BJP rally. Senior police officials had personally monitored the security arrangements at Gandhi maidan," said Nitish while briefing the media on the blasts.
The chief minister confirmed that five people have been killed and over 83 people have been injured. He announced a compensation of Rs 5 lakh for the family members of the dead.
On the progress of police investigations, Nitish said that three suspects have been taken into custody and added that one of the suspect has even confessed to his involvement in the case.
Nitish, who has come under fire from former ally BJP following the blasts, also ruled out political conspiracy behind the blasts but added that an attempt to disturb the law and order situation in the state. "There is no tradition of any political conspiracy in Bihar. Whatever happened is not the tradition of Bihar. An attempt was made to disrupt the amity of the state and disturb the law and order situation. (The blasts occurred before) the BJP rally and it seems like a deliberate attempt," said Nitish.
The Bihar chief minister also added that the state government will fully co-operate with the National Investigation Agency (NIA) which is investigating the case. The Home Ministry has send a team of seven-member team of NIA and National Security Guards (NSG) officials to investigate multiple bomb blasts in Patna.
Nitish was forced to cancel his visit to Munger following the blasts.
Meanwhile, the political fraternity expressed concern over the issue. While, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh condemned the serial blasts on twitter, Congress President Sonia Gandhi released a statement extending her condolences to the family of the citizens killed in the blasts.
The Home Ministry had earlier released a statement on the locations where the bomb blasts took place. According to reports, six blasts took place near Gandhi Maidan alone while another bomb went off at the railway station.
"The first blast took place in the toilet of a railway station and the other five blasts have taken place near the Gandhi Maidan," Minister of State for Home Affairs RPN Singh said.
However, Patna's DM has said that the explosion did not take place near the platforms. Special trains for Modi rally are arriving on platform 1.
Was approached by LK Advani to contest 2014 Lok Sabha polls for BJP: Kiran Bedi
Now anyone can have selfie with Modi for free: Union Minister Ananth Kumar
To create 'buzz' before Delhi elections, AAP ropes in support from across India