New Delhi: August 14 was the day the Unitech Cup tri-series was supposed to begin.
The first ODI between Sri Lanka and South Africa was called off due to rain.
Every thing was still fine until a bomb blast ripped through Colombo's City center, which left the tri-series in a limbo.
Even though the Sri Lankan authorities assured the two visiting teams of tight security, the South African players were unsure.
And after much deliberation the Proteas decided to quit the tour. But the Indians decided to stay on and play a three-match ODI series.
South Africa coach Mickey Arthur, says: "We have no alternative but to bring the team home as soon as possible. The olive group report says that the current risk to the team is at an unacceptable level."
India captain Rahul Dravid says: "The guys are pretty relaxed and we are pretty comfortable with the security being provided to us. We know that security agencies are in touch with our managers and the concerned authorities. So from the players’ perspective I don’t think there is any concern as such, and we are looking forward to the cricket."
So setting aside all disturbances, the rescheduled series was all set to begin, India taking on the hosts in the first ODI.
All matches were to be played at the SSC. After a rain delay the match finally started four days after it was supposed to begin.
In walked Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid but before the crowds in the emerald isle could warm their eyes to some cricketing action, the rain came tumbling down.
India were 11 for no loss, and that's where it stood. More weather reports than match reports.
This is a series that is almost about to end and not a single match has been played so far. Not the best thing to happen to cricket.