ibnlive » India » Jammu & Kashmir

Jan 22, 2014 at 07:14pm IST

BSF admits lapses by its men in Ramban firing incident

Certain "administrative lapses" have been found on the part of BSF personnel involved in last year's Ramban firing incident in Jammu even and the paramilitary will soon begin trial of its six men in connection with the incident.

Sources said Border Security Force (BSF) took over the trial of the case from state government recently for conducting the proceedings against them under the BSF Act.

A Staff Court of Inquiry, which has just completed in the incident in which four people were killed and many injured, has found "administrative lapses" on the part of some officials, they said.

BSF admits lapses by its men in Ramban firing incident

BSF admits lapses by its men in Ramban firing incident

The incident had occured in July last year when BSF personnel fired on a crowd near the forces' company base in Ramban district of the state.

Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had condemned the firing saying such incidents had the potential to jeopardise peace in the state.

BSF had last year defended it men and saying they fired in self defence.

The force had claimed one Mohammed Latif, son of Mustafa and a resident of Dalwah in the area, had instigated the mob leading to the situation in which four people were killed and 44 others, including security personnel, injured in stone-pelting and resultant firing.

BSF said its troops had "restrained from firing and informed local police of the likelihood of deterioration in the situation due to violence by the locals."

  • 4
  • 0
  • 0

Latest