New Delhi: The Centre has finally stepped in in the Bulandshahr honour killing case. Minister of State for Home Affairs RPN Singh on Tuesday sought a report from Uttar Pradesh and also said that the government was seriously considering amending the Constitution over such killings.
Twenty eight-year-old Abdul Hakim was murdered in broad daylight earlier this week and his wife alleged that her family was behind it.
Earlier on Tuesday, the police arrested one more person in connection with the case. The total number of arrests in the case is now two. Three others, including the prime suspect, however, are still absconding.
I fear for my life: Victim's wife
Speaking to CNN-IBN, Mehwish, Hakim's wife, said that she feared for her life. "They have killed my husband, they will kill me now. I am 9 months pregnant. My husband would have been alive if police protection was provided," the woman, Mehwish, said. The police, however, dismissed her theory saying it was the outcome of a personal feud.
The couple were participants in Aamir Khan's television show Satyamav Jayate's episode on honour killing. On Monday, the Bollywood actor expressed his grief and said, "Disturbing and unfortunate incident. Will speak to the government authorities in UP to help and ensure the family is safe. The culprits must be brought to the book. The case is registered on the basis of right facts."
Modi government's language policy: Wouldn't imposition of Hindi weaken government?
Unrelenting Opposition stalls Parliament over Moga molestation-death case
MCD engineer assault case: AAP MLA Jarnail Singh declared absconding by Delhi Police