ibnlive » Politics

CBI won't name IB Special Director in Ishrat case chargesheet: sources

CNN-IBN
Jul 01, 2013 at 11:51am IST

New Delhi: Intelligence Bureau Special Director Rajendra Kumar will not be named in the Central Bureau of Investigation's first chargesheet in the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case, according to sources. Sources say the CBI needs more time to investigate the alleged conspiracy behind the encounter.

The CBI is set to file its first chargesheet in the Ishrat Jahan encounter of 2004 on July 4. Meanwhile, the CBI has asked for high-level security for its officers investigating the Ishrat Jahan encounter case. CBI sources say investigating officer Sandeep Tamgadge has received death threats in the past few days.

ALSO SEE Ishrat case: CBI says probe officer got threats, seeks more security

CBI sources say they fear that attempts are being made to sabotage the investigation in which charges are to be filed by July 4. CBI sources say that Tamgadge hasn't been attacked, but they don't want to take chances. Tamgadge, an SP, is based in Nagpur. The Maharashtra Police has in its response said it will provide necessary security to CBI officers investigating the case.

The CBI has time and again been accused by the Bharatiya Janata Party of working on the istructions of the Congress in the case. Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi says the fact that the CBI questioned IB officials in connection with the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case shows effort are being made to weaken the institution.

"People who cannot deal with deal with democratic victory or loss, with the help of CBI are trying to ruin the power of governance in India. By misusing CBI Congress is ruining democracy in the country," Modi said.

There has been a tussle between IB and CBI over action against Intelligence Bureau's special director Rajendra Kumar in the Ishrat Jahan case. Amidst the tussle, new Union Home Secretary Anil Goswami on Sunday had said he will see whether there was enough evidence to prosecute the senior IPS officer. "I will see what evidence is available. I will see the documents," he told reporters here after taking charge as Union Home Secretary.

He was replying to a question whether the CBI has enough evidence to prosecute Kumar for his suspected role in the conspiracy to carry out the alleged fake encounter in which Ishrat Jahan and three others were killed in Gujarat nine years ago.

Last week, a senior Home Ministry official said that CBI had shared with the Ministry evidence against the special director of IB after which the ministry told CBI that this does not show that Kumar was part of the conspiracy. The Home Ministry has so far maintained that the evidence against Kumar was not sufficient to give sanction to CBI to prosecute Kumar in the alleged fake encounter case.

Last fortnight, the CBI had grilled the senior IB officer to find out his alleged role in the conspiracy to carry out the fake encounter in which Ishrat and three others were killed.

The CBI had questioned the IB officer twice suspecting his role in the fake encounter in which 19-year-old Ishrat was killed along with three others on June 15, 2004 allegedly by a team of Crime Branch officials on the outskirts of Ahmedabad. The sources said Kumar, a 1979-batch IPS officer of Manipur-Tripura cadre, had allegedly generated intelligence input that a group of Lashkar terrorists are coming to Ahmedabad to target Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.

(With additional information from PTI)

Latest

More from this section