Leh: Barely two months after the incursion at Ladakh, the Chinese troops have again intruded into the Chumar sector in Ladakh. This is the same area where the Chinese had earlier transgressed in April.
Sources have told CNN-IBN that the the troops of China's People's Liberation Army transgressed on June 17. They entered the Indian territory in the Chumar sector and started vandalising the observation bunkers besides disconnecting the wires of cameras, which overlook the Chinese territory.
"We have dealt with the situation earlier and we will handle it again diplomatically. War is not a solution to the incursion," said Minister of State for Home RPN Singh.
Chumar, located 300 km from Leh, has always been an area of discomfort for the Chinese troops as this is the only area along the Sino-Indian border where they do not have any direct access to the Line of Actual Control(LAC).
The 21-day face-off between the two sides in the remote Daulat Beg Oldi (DBO) sector on April 15 was triggered by construction of an observation tower in Chumar division which had to be subsequently dismantled by the Army on May 5 before the crisis was defused.
The Chinese side, according to the minutes of the flag meetings in the last week of March this year, had been objecting to the construction of the watch tower along the LAC in Chumar.
After dismantling the observation post and defence bunkers, Army had installed cameras to monitor movement of Chinese troops along the LAC, a step which had irked the PLA.
Chumar, a remote village on Ladakh-Himachal Pradesh border, is being claimed by China as its own territory. The Chinese side also reportedly resorted to helicopter incursions almost every year.
In 2012, it dropped some of the soldiers of PLA in this region and dismantled the makeshift storage tents of the Army and ITBP. This area is not accessible from the Chinese side whereas the Indian side has a road almost to the last point on which the Army can carry loads up to nine tonnes.
(With additional information from PTI)