New Delhi: Confusion over Ajmal Kasab’s trial still prevails as conflicting reports are coming from Pakistan. While Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi said Pakistan will file a case against Kasab, Information Minister Sherry Rehman clarified no case has been filed as yet.
“No such case has been registered. It is under consideration,” Sherry said.
Kasab is the only terrorist captured alive for the Mumbai terror attacks last year.
A denial that was itself contradicted by Pakistan's Foreign Minister who said that Pakistan will file the case and that India will soon hear of it officially.
This is something that India has been waiting for the last two months.
“Unless we have official information from Pakistan authority or any authoritative source, it is difficult for any official spokesperson to comment on it,” External Affairs Minister, Pranab Mukherjee said.
Many analysts say Pakistan's policy of leak and deny is a considered strategy post Mumbai attacks.
“What they are trying to say is that they will investigate on their end and finally they are at the admission that Kasab is a Pakistani citizen and is responsible for an attack that took place on a foreign land,” Defence Analyst, Ayesha Siddiquia said.
In the past two months Pakistan has made several flip flops.
So, Wednesday’s flip-flop is no surprise. Local officials saying that they have filed a case against Kasab and 13 others seems to fall into the same pattern.
And, as international pressure is leaving Pakistan with little choice but to act in the Mumbai investigations - it is also leaving India with little choice but to wait.