ibnlive » Cricketnext

May 04, 2014 at 11:56pm IST

As it happened: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Sunrisers Hyderabad, IPL7, Match 24

For ball-by-ball commentary scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Royal Challengers Bangalore started IPL 7 as one of the hot favourites but three consecutive defeats has been a reality-check for them, and they would want to get their act together in their first home game of the season when they meet Sunrisers Hyderabad.

ALSO SEE Scorecard

RCB and Hyderabad have had somewhat similar run in the tournament so far, with Bangalore just above them on the leaderboard on net run-rate.

As it happened: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Sunrisers Hyderabad, IPL7, Match 24

Bhuvneshwar Kumar got rid of Parthiv Patel and Virat Kohli in the second over of Banagalore's chase. (BCCI)

Commentary (Royal Challengers Bangalore 1st Innings)

AB de Villiers is the Man of the Match for his exhilarating knock. That is all from this thrilling game. Farewell!

Sportsmanship is one thing, respecting is another but taking defeat on your chin is something that defines cricket and Dale Steyn showed it immediately after the game when he hung on to an extended hug with AB de Villiers and showed his class as well. Truly well played, lads!

Superb match. Had everything. Hyderabad were right in the game in spite of scoring a low total on this flat deck by having Kohli on a duck, Gayle back in the hut too pretty early. But then came on the AB de Villiers show, and there was no looking back. He started scoring freely but then things got tight in the 19th over. On came Dale Steyn and in yet another exhilarating display of astonishing batsmanship, de Villiers took him on for 24 runs and that totally brought the game in Bangalore's hands.

19.5 I Pathan to de Villiers, FOUR! Oh boy, what a player! BANGALORE WIN BY 4 WICKETS! A low full toss, de Villiers swipes it through mid-wicket and he finds the fence. End of what has been an absolute carnage from that man, Abraham Benjamin de Villiers. 158/6

19.4 I Pathan to H Patel, A very full ball, Patel swipes it through mid-wicket and takes one. 154/6

19.3 I Pathan to H Patel, A good length delivery on the leg side, Harshal tries to heave it away but misses. He scrambles back and gets just in time with the dive... 153/6

19.2 I Pathan to de Villiers, Full and wide, de Villiers gets right out to the off side to try and ramp it but gets an inside edge for a single. 153/6

Harshal Patel walks in next.

19.1 I Pathan to M Starc, OUT! Would there be a twist? Starc digs out a full ball over Pathan to mid off. Finch with the direct hit and finds Starc out by a fair distance. The most important thing is, AB de Villiers is on strike now. 152/6

18.6 D Steyn to de Villiers, SIX! My goodness, that is simply out of the world batting. A short of a good length delivery, de Villiers gets right across and ramps it away over fine leg. 152/5

18.5 D Steyn to de Villiers, FOUR! Heaved away! A very full ball on off, de Villiers lofts it over wide mid off and finds the fence. 146/5

18.4 D Steyn to M Starc, A very full ball, dug away through mid-wicket for one. 142/5

18.3 D Steyn to de Villiers, A very full ball down the leg side, de Villiers tries to heave it away but is hit on the pads. 141/5

18.2 D Steyn to de Villiers, SIX! Simply superb and he's taking out his counter-part here! A very full ball on middle, de Villiers stays back and slams it away over the long on fence. 140/5

18.1 D Steyn to de Villiers, SIX! That is awesome! A short of a good length delivery, de Villiers pulls it away over the square leg fence. 134/5

17.6 B Kumar to de Villiers, Another full and wide delivery, ABdV plays the reverse paddle again but finds one as it went straight to short third man. 128/5

17.5 B Kumar to de Villiers, FOUR! The reverse paddle is here! A low full toss outside off, ABdV gets his bat out and paddles it fine to the third man fence. 127/5

17.4 B Kumar to de Villiers, A perfect yorker outside off, de Villiers fails to dig it away. 123/5

17.3 B Kumar to de Villiers, A low full toss outside off, de Villiers lets it go through. 123/5

17.2 B Kumar to de Villiers, WIDE! Full and well wide, very close to the guidelines as AB allows it through. 123/5

17.1 B Kumar to de Villiers, FOUR! Full length and well wide, de Villiers backs away and slices it over point for a boundary off the first ball. 123/5

16.6 D Steyn to M Starc, A full and wide delivery on off, Starc aims to slash but gets an inside edge onto the pads. 119/5

16.5 D Steyn to de Villiers, Full and well wide outside off, sliced through mid off for a single. 119/5

16.4 D Steyn to de Villiers, WIDE! Full and well wide outside off but AB had shuffled way across off and hence the call was not given. 118/5

16.3 D Steyn to de Villiers, A short and quick delivery outside off, de Villiers allows it through. 118/5

16.2 D Steyn to M Starc, Good length delivery outside off, Starc pushes it through covers and takes one. 118/5

16.1 D Steyn to de Villiers, Full and straight on off, de Villiers slices it towards mid off and takes one. 117/5

15.6 D Sammy to de Villiers, Full and well wide, de Villiers slices it through point and gets a single to keep strike. 116/5

15.5 D Sammy to de Villiers, SIX! And de Villiers goes on and on to notch up yet another 50! A short slow off-cutter, de Villiers pulls it away over the mid-wicket fence this time. 115/5

15.4 D Sammy to de Villiers, FOUR! There he goes! Gets a low full toss around off and he butchers it over the long off fence. 109/5

15.3 D Sammy to M Starc, Full length and wide outside off, Starc drives it square off the wicket for one. 105/5

15.2 D Sammy to de Villiers, Full length delivery, de Villiers slices it towards mid off for one. 104/5

15.1 D Sammy to de Villiers, SIX! That is magnificent! A full and wide delivery outside off, de Villiers sits down and sends it miles over the long off fence. 103/5

14.6 K Sharma to M Starc, Flatter yet again, Starc works it away through mid-wicket and comes back for the second. ABdV on strike now... 97/5

14.5 K Sharma to M Starc, Flatter and spinning in, Starc aims to drive but gets an inside edge. 95/5

14.4 K Sharma to M Starc, Flatter and full, Starc has played that off the front foot and into the ground. 95/5

Mitchell Starc walks in.

14.3 K Sharma to Y Singh, OUT! Yuvraj departs! A tossed up delivery on the pads, Yuvraj sweeps it powerfully but has picked out substitute, Moises Henriques at the deep square leg fence. 95/5

14.2 K Sharma to Y Singh, Flatter and quicker outside off, Yuvraj tries to adjust and hit but blocks it. 95/4

14.1 K Sharma to Y Singh, SIX! Lovely shot! A tossed up delivery on middle, Yuvraj gets right under the ball and lofts it straight back over the bowler, clean hitting. 95/4

13.6 I Pathan to Y Singh, Taps a delivery down the leg side and takes a single. 89/4

13.5 I Pathan to Y Singh, Full and wide outside off, Yuvraj tries to put bat on ball but misses it. 88/4

13.4 I Pathan to de Villiers, Driven through the covers by the batsman. The batsmen have run through for a single. 88/4

13.3 I Pathan to de Villiers, DROPPED BY KARN SHARMA! That might prove more than costly! Short of a length and wide, de Villiers cuts hard towards point and Karn leaps to his left but only puts it down. 87/4

13.2 I Pathan to de Villiers, A low full toss, wide outside off, de Villiers tries to scoop it but is forced to just block it down. 85/4

13.1 I Pathan to de Villiers, SIX! He is looking in form alright! Full and well wide outside off, AB de Villiers goes on one knee and lofts it superbly over extra covers. 85/4

12.6 D Sammy to Y Singh, Bowls it full and wide, Yuvraj drives it square but finds point to end the over. 79/4

12.5 D Sammy to de Villiers, Full length delivery, de Villiers drives it through mid on for one. 79/4

12.4 D Sammy to de Villiers, FOUR! Much-needed one! A low full toss outside off, de Villiers tries to put bat on ball but gets an outside edge to the third man fence. 78/4

12.3 D Sammy to Y Singh, Short of a length delivery, Yuvraj taps in front of cover. A direct hit would have had AB in trouble at the striker's end. 74/4

12.2 D Sammy to Y Singh, Yuvraj has defended it by getting right behind the line of the delivery. 73/4

12.1 D Sammy to Y Singh, A yorker length delivery around off, Yuvraj dabs it away to point. 73/4

Darren Sammy now.

11.6 I Sharma to de Villiers, SIX! Boom! A pitched up delivery on middle, de Villiers remains back and flat-bats it over the sight screen. 73/4

11.5 I Sharma to Y Singh, Yuvraj jumps out of the crease and cuts a short of a length ball through point to take one. 67/4

11.4 I Sharma to Y Singh, Short and quick delivery on middle, Yuvraj tries to pull but is hit smack on the helmet. 66/4

11.3 I Sharma to Y Singh, FOUR! That's a good shot! Short of a length delivery, Yuvraj shuffles and pulls it away past square leg. 66/4

11.2 I Sharma to Y Singh, A full length delivery on off, worked away to mid-wicket and is forced to send back AB de Villiers at the non-striker's end. 62/4

11.1 I Sharma to de Villiers, Full length delivery, knocked down through mid on for one. 62/4

10.6 K Sharma to Y Singh, Flat and quick on off, worked away to mid-wicket. Karn in the middle of a wonderful spell. 61/4

10.5 K Sharma to de Villiers, Flat and quicker on off, worked away through mid-wicket for one. 61/4

10.4 K Sharma to de Villiers, de Villiers has defended it by getting right behind the line of the delivery. 60/4

10.3 K Sharma to Y Singh, Tossed up delivery, driven through mid on for one. 60/4

10.2 K Sharma to Y Singh, Yuvraj has played that off the front foot and into the ground. 59/4

Yuvraj Singh in.

10.1 K Sharma to R Rossouw, OUT! That's plumb in front! Karn strikes again and continues his good work. A flighted googly, Rossouw tries to reverse sweep but is hit on the pads. 59/4

see more commentry

Latest