New Delhi: Banned for life from India's cricket establishment, a beleaguered former IPL boss Lalit Modi is not ready to throw in the towel yet and declared that he would indeed have the "last call" in this entire issue.
"They (BCCI) will have their day and I will have the last call. I am not going anywhere. I will be right here," Modi told a new channel after BCCI imposed a life ban during its Special General Meeting (SGM) in Chennai on Wednesday.
Modi also took a veiled potshot at BCCI's controversial president N Srinivasan accusing BCCI members of protecting the Tamil Nadu strongman.
"I think fans are a little disappointed on this match-fixing issue and also the persons involved. It is really sad that they banned the person who created the league but people who are fixing matches and those who are running the Board are being protected by the BCCI members," Modi said.
"The issue is very simple to me. The brand itself is bigger than any one person. But my name is married to IPL. I am the architect of IPL. It was a difficult dream but I realized it.
"I did a few things but I wanted the league to improve. But it's now going in backward direction. Hope BCCI get their act together. I wanted to tighten the rules but at the same time make it transparent," the former IPL czar said from his London residence.
Modi feels that it's imperative that one makes all the owners "responsible for running the game" but at the same time said that "BCCI probably doesn't want to lose control".
However on the issue of financial irregularities, Modi didn't come up with a concrete answer. "I don't know what they are saying. I brought USD 8 billion for BCCI," he claimed.
"I tried to protect the interest of BCCI and they accuse me of arm-twisting a franchise! After I left two franchises had to quit the league (Deccan Chargers Hyderabad, Kochi Tuskers). BCCI lost USD 700 million. Since I didn't toe their line, I was accused of financial impropriety," Modi said.
Modi didn't stop short while terming Srinivasan as a "Master match-fixer."
His family had been supportive during crisis period but the maverick administrator declared that he is "ready to move on."
"I have moved on and I will soon be associated with a global league. There are a lot of people in sporting fraternity across the world, who want me on board."
Ban on me as predicted. Like I said not perturbed about it. Rather happy not to be sitting on same table as facilitators of march fixing— Lalit Kumar Modi (@LalitKModi) September 25, 2013
Only Time will show I am right. I have no reason to be remorse about this as I got to live and create my dream. Ban not going to stop me— Lalit Kumar Modi (@LalitKModi) September 25, 2013