Quick Links

News

Former Eng batsman Carberry hits 300

The 30-year-old left-hander was diagnosed with blood clots on the lung in November.

London: Former England batsman Michael Carberry put nine months of illness behind him with an extraordinary 300 not out for Hampshire against Yorkshire in the County Championship on Friday and shared in a massive 523-run partnership.

The 30-year-old left-hander, capped once by England in Bangladesh in March 2010, was diagnosed with blood clots on the lung in November, preventing him travelling to Australia with the second-string England Performance squad.

Carberry was sidelined with the problem until last month, with his whole career in the balance.

But in only his third Championship match of the season he helped First Division strugglers Hampshire stage a remarkable rally at the Rose Bowl.

Hampshire were 59 for two at one stage but Carberry, who struck two sixes and 43 fours, was brilliantly supported in a massive third-wicket stand of 523 by South Africa's Neil McKenzie, who made 237.

Their partnership was the ninth-highest in all first-class cricket and the second highest for the third wicket behind the 624 shared by Sri Lanka stalwarts Kumar Sangakkara and Mahela Jayawardene in a Test against South Africa at Colombo in 2006.

Sangakkara and Jayawardene's stand is also the highest for any first-class wicket.

Carberry and McKenzie's partnership easily topped the previous third-wicket County Championship best of 438 unbroken made by Graeme Hick and Tom Moody for Worcestershire against Hampshire at Southampton in 1997.

"This was only my third match back in the team and I cannot believe it has gone so well," Carberry said following his career-best score. "The pitch was perfect to bat on and Neil and I kept each other going.

"It has been well documented that I had blood clots on the lung and it has taken nine months out of my life.

"I am lucky just to be playing again so to get 300 exceeded all my expectations," added Carberry, whose previous best was the 205 he made against Warwickshire two years ago.

Carberry and McKenzie's stand ended when the South African was caught at mid-on off left-arm spinner David Wainwright.

Prior to that the nearest the pair came to being separated was when McKenzie, soon after surpassing his previous best of 225, gave a return catch which Wainwright failed to hold.

Hampshire, who remain winless and at the bottom of the First Division table, declared on 599 for three as soon as Carberry completed his treble hundred on Friday's final four day of four.

His innings, which lasted more than six hours and spanned 427 balls - effectively 71 overs - was all the more impressive as it was made in reply to Yorkshire's imposing first innings 532 all out.

There was still time for Yorkshire to make 40 without loss in their second innings before the match, unsurprisingly, ended in a draw.

Among the other records broken on Friday by Carberry and McKenzie was Hampshire's highest partnership for any wicket, as they overtook the sixth-wicket stand of 411 shared by Robert Poore and Teddy Wynyard against Somerset at Taunton way back in 1899.

One consolation for Yorkshire was that, despite the efforts of Carberry and McKenzie, the county still boasts the highest partnership for any wicket in Championship history - the 555 put together by White Rose openers Percy Holmes and Herbert Sutcliffe against Essex at Leyton, east London, in 1932.