Quick Links

    News
    • 0
    • 0
    • 0
    • 0

    Ganguly baffles all on his retirement

    The former Indian captain remained unsold during the IPL player auction.

    New Delhi: Confusion ruled supreme on Monday after Sourav Ganguly told a news channel that he will no longer play competitive cricket, only to retract that statement hours later.

    This was in direct contrast to his reported statement he made during the television interview where he said he will no longer play competitive cricket after the IPL Governing Council did not allow unsold players to purchased outside the auction.

    Ganguly with a base price of $400,000 remained unsold during the IPL - 4 players auction on January 8 and 9. New entrant Kochi then sought to buy Ganguly outside the auction but failed to procure the necessary no objection certificate from the other nine teams.

    "From where are you getting this conclusion. You should see the full interview," an irritated Ganguly told reporters.

    "It's only if I don't get the opportunity to play in IPL.

    If I play IPL, I will play other form of cricket," Ganguly explained.

    Asked specifically by the interviewer whether he has now retired from all forms of cricket, Ganguly said, "No, I don't think so."

    "I have retired as an international professional player two years ago. That part is done. IPL is a huge platform. As far as that is concerned I don't think there is any possibility to play in IPL," he said.

    Asked if he is not going to play in the Ranji Trophy in future, he said, "I have not decided as yet."

    "I had the runs. I scored more than 500 runs last year.

    Players of my age such as Adam Gilchrist, Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman are still actively involved. Honestly, I don't know why I was not picked.

    "I haven't been able to put the finger in the button why I was left out. Cricketing logic and past form suggests I should have been picked," he said.

    (With inputs from PTI)