Quick Links

    News
    • 0
    • 0
    • 0
    • 0

    Harris added to Aus squad for 2nd Test

    Ryan Harris replaces left-arm fast bowler Mitchell Starc, who was the 12th man in Melbourne.

    Melbourne: Paceman Ryan Harris has been added to Australia's 12-man squad for the second Test against India, joining the 11 that beat the visitors by 122 runs in the first match.

    Harris, who is working his way back from a hip injury, will give Australia the option of a four-man pace attack. He replaces left-arm fast bowler Mitchell Starc, who was 12th man in Melbourne.

    Though the Sydney Cricket Ground has traditionally been a spin-friendly wicket, it may be prepared to suit pacemen this time to negate India's strength against spin bowling. If so, Harris could join a four-man pace attack while offspinner Nathan Lyon is demoted to 12th man.

    Allrounder Shane Watson has not yet recovered from a calf injury and will miss the Test at the Sydney Cricket Ground, which starts on Tuesday.

    Harris was regarded as Australia's No 1 fast bowler before his injury absence, but the performances of James Pattinson, Peter Siddle and Ben Hilfenhaus in the first-Test victory have cast doubts on whether Harris can force his way into the team.

    Watson's continued absence ensures the six batsmen from the Melbourne Test will be retained, although the strong performances of Ricky Ponting and Mike Hussey — the men under most scrutiny going into the series opener — had already ensured their spots. Wicketkeeper-batsman Brad Haddin is also safe, despite his continued poor form.

    Chairman of selectors John Inverarity said the team would take great confidence and momentum into the second game and he welcomed Harris' return to the squad after a four-Test absence.

    "Ryan has had carefully monitored preparation, which has gone to plan," Inverarity said. "Mitchell Starc and Daniel Christian, who were both in the squad for the first Test, have been omitted but remain very much in our thinking."