Wellington: Top-order batsman Jamie How has been recalled to the New Zealand cricket squad after a year's absence for its five-match limited-overs series against India this month.
How last played for New Zealand against West Indies in early 2009 but has won back his place after strong performances for the New Zealand A team.
Allrounders Scott Styris and Grand Elliott and bowlers Kyle Mills, Daryl Tuffey and Nathan McCullum have also been added to the 15-man squad, which is similar to the one which was whitewashed in a limited-overs series in Bangladesh last month.
"We have kept faith with the bulk of the squad who played in the disappointing tour of Bangladesh and who have performed well in the current test series against India," coach Mark Greatbatch said.
"The squad sees the return of Jamie How, who deserves his opportunity after impressing the selectors for some time. We feel one-day cricket is the format for him to return to international cricket."
How replaces B.J. Watling, who is a member of the New Zealand team currently playing India in a three-match test series. The second test in Hyderabad ended on Tuesday in a draw.
"A couple of players, Martin Guptill and Gareth Hopkins, which were part of the New Zealand A team who recently toured Zimbabwe will stay on (in India)," Greatbatch said. "Martin has shown good form with the bat and Gareth will provide wicketkeeping cover for Brendon McCullum. Unfortunately this means B.J. Watling misses out on selection.
"We welcome back Scott Styris from injury while Hamish Bennett and Shanan Stewart were unavailable for selection due to injury. This 15-man squad is really looking forward to playing positive cricket in what promises to be an exciting one-day series."
The series begins on November 28 at Guwahati and includes matches at Jaipur on December 1, Vadodara on December 4, Bangalore on December 7 and Chennai on December 10.