The 12th edition of the Asia Cup got underway on Tuesday with Sri Lanka's thrilling win over Pakistan, and as the cricket world awaits the much anticipated encounter between the two estranged neighbours India and Pakistan, let us take a look at who has had the upper hand so far in the battle for Asian supremacy.
Since the inaugural edition of the Asia Cup in 1984, the two teams have been pitted against each other on 11 occasion, but only nine of those battles were able to decide a winner as two games didn't produce any result.
India enjoy a slight advantage going into the 12th Asia Cup battle against Pakistan on March 2. Of the nine completed games, India have won five while Pakistan managed to win the other four. Here's a look at the results of all those matches:
India vs Pakistan: India the better team in Asia Cup battles (Getty Images)
1. April 13, 1984 - Sharjah - India won by 54 runs
2. October 31, 1988 - Dhaka - India won by 4 wickets
3. April 7, 1995 - Sharjah - Pakistan won by 97 runs
4. July 20, 1997 - Colombo - No result
5. July 21, 1997 - Colombo - Match abandoned
6. June 3, 2000 - Dhaka - Pakistan won by 44 runs
7. July 25, 2004 - Colombo - Pakistan won by 59 runs
8. June 26, 2008 - Karachi - India won by 6 wickets
9. July 2, 2008 - Karachi - Pakistan won by 8 wickets
10. June 19, 2010 - Dambulla - India won by 3 wickets
11. March 18, 2012 - Dhaka - India won by 6 wickets