ibnlive » Cricketnext

IPL scandal: Siddharth Trivedi admits to taking money from bookies


Cricketnext Staff,Cricketnext
Jun 20, 2013 at 10:09am IST

New Delhi: Rajasthan Royals' player Siddharth Trivedi, who was made a prosecution witness by Delhi Police in the spot-fixing scandal, admitted to have taken money from bookies which he later returned after a sting scare in 2012.

As per reports, Trivedi, in a statement given to Delhi police admitted he had taken Rs 3 lakh - in sums of Rs 1 lakh and Rs 2 lakh from alleged bookies Deepak Sharma and Sunil Bhatia. Trivedi also claimed that he returned the money because he was scared when a sting operation trapped seven players last year. He said the sting was an "eye-opener" and he severed all contact with the duo.

ALSO SEE Trivedi made prosecution witness

Earlier, Trivedi, 30, had revealed during his questioning by Delhi police that he was asked by several bookies to spot fix matches in 2012. "Bhatia and Sharma had offered him money for the 2012 IPL, but he declined," an official had said on May 31.

IPL scandal: Siddharth Trivedi admits to taking money from bookies

The Rajasthan Royals player admitted to have taken money from bookies which he later returned after a sting scare in 2012.

Trivedi was contacted by former Rajasthan Royals player Amit Singh for the first time in 2010. Singh was arrested as a bookie in the IPL spot fixing. During a J.P. Atray Memorial Cricket tournament played in Chandigarh in September 2010, Trivedi was contacted by some bookies -- including Deepak Kumar, who has been arrested by Delhi Police.

ALSO SEE RR bowler was asked to spot-fix in 2012 IPL

Latest

More from this section

Bleacher Report