ibnlive » Cricketnext

Johnson says Test career isn't over yet

Press Trust Of India
Jan 11, 2012 at 01:14pm IST

Perth: Injured fast bowler Mitchell Johnson believes that "five to six years" of cricket is still left in him and he wants to use the Indian Premier league to regain his place in the Australian Test cricket side.

Johnson had injured the big toe of his left foot while batting Australia to victory in the second Test against South Africa in late November and had to undergo a surgery.

Since then the 30-year-old pacer has been out of the national team and is also been ruled out of the upcoming West Indies tour in March-April.

Johnson says Test career isn't over yet

Injured fast bowler Mitchell Johnson believes that "five to six years" of cricket is still left in him.

And with youngsters in Pat Cummins and James Pattinson doing well in Tests it would be difficult for Johnson to regain his spot. But the bowler said he was ready to work hard and was hopeful of making a comeback in the fifth edition of the IPL.

"I'm definitely confident of my ability. I'm only 30 years of age, I've got five or six years left in me so that's my goal," said Johnson on Fox Sports.

"Whether I get back straight away or not we'll have to find out but I'll be working as hard as I can.

"(The IPL) wouldn't be a bad way to get back into it, four over spells, short and sharp. If not I'm happy to start back into grade cricket or back into State cricket," he added.

Johnson has played 47 matches and has taken 190 wickets so far since making his Test debut in November 2007 against Sri Lanka.

Latest

More from this section

Bleacher Report