Perth: Australian batsman Shaun Marsh is battling a bout of gastroenteritis but is still expected to play in the third cricket Test against India starting here on Friday.
Marsh, who has scores of 0, 3 and 0 in the series so far, was to address the media here this morning but skipped the press conference due to the ailment.
The 28-year-old left-hander comes in at the crucial number three slot in the batting order. Senior batsman Michael Hussey who spoke to journalists in Marsh's absence said the batman would be fit in time for the match.
Marsh, who has scores of 0, 3 and 0 in the ongoing series against India skipped the press conference this morning.
"I'm sure he's fine and he'll be at training tomorrow with the boys, preparing as well as he can," Hussey said.
"He'll be really looking forward to playing on his home ground in his first home Test. The WACA crowd always give the local guys a huge welcome and a louder roar than any other player, so he's got plenty of motivation to play exceptionally well in this Test."
Hussey also felt that Marsh would be back in form soon.
"I wouldn't be surprised if he performs well in this Test match, " Hussey said.
"It's always tough when you have been out of the game for over a month, to be able to come straight back into Test match cricket and perform straightaway.
"It does take a bit of time, but he has been working very hard and he's been hitting the ball well in the nets, so it's just a case of him being able to get through that first half an hour of his innings. If he gets a start, I'm sure he'll want to turn it into a huge hundred," he said.