Islamabad: Pakistan on Thursday called on India to make "fool-proof arrangements" for the security of the cricket World Cup in the wake of media reports about possible terrorist attacks on the venues of the tournament.
Reacting to reports in the Indian media about "planned terrorist attacks on cricket World Cup venues" that could be "launched from Pakistani soil", Foreign Office spokesperson Tehmina Janjua said, "We hope that India will make fool-proof arrangements for the security of the cricket World Cup."
"Pakistan, itself a victim of terrorism, takes all such reports seriously," she said in a statement released on Thursday.
Media reports on Wednesday said India had sounded an alert over possible militant attacks on the World Cup.
Janjua said "terrorism has no borders" and is a "vicious phenomenon that all must collectively confront".
Media reports on Wednesday said India had sounded an alert over possible militant attacks on the World Cup though there were no specific threats. The alert was sounded on the basis of intelligence inputs received over the past few months, Indian officials were quoted as saying.
The cricket tournament is being played in India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka and will end in Mumbai on April 2.
At the same time, Janjau said Pakistan had already conveyed its "concerns about vituperative statements being made from within India about the participation of Pakistan's cricket team".
Though she did not give details, this was an apparent reference to the Shiv Sena's that it would not allow Pakistani cricketers to enter Mumbai should they reach the ICC World Cup?s final, slated to be played at Wankhede Stadium on April 2.
Janjua also said Pakistan is looking forward to the forthcoming meeting of Interior and Home Secretaries, to be held in New Delhi during March 28-29, to discuss counter-terrorism.